Major Events that Happened While in Corps

I remember being at US Open when it was announced that Nixon had resigned.

Obviously in 1976 the Bicentennial celebrations were big.

Anyone else have any others?

During the 1977 tour, Elvis died. The Pope had passed away just before tour in 1978, but many of us out on the road missed that the next Pope died shortly after being selected. Knowing that the original Pope had passed away 7 weeks earlier, I was shocked to read "Pope to be buried today" on returning home. Not a pretty image given the summer heat.

Olympic bombing in Atlanta happened during tour. Greatly upsetting.

Crusader giant Ed Denon passed away during tour in 1995. Amazing man.

I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceburg.

WOW!

Paper was invented. The telephone was first used. The Model A became popular. The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Delta House was kicked off campus. DCI discontinued its 8 track sales. The Walkman was invented. The contra scandal had us contras worried. Chernobyl disaster. Phone cards were invented. Star Wars came out. :w00t:/>/>

Something tells me you're not taking this all that seriously... :)

I could tell you about some Contra scandals...

• Like 1

1968 we were out in Detroit for the VFW Nationals. The Soviets invaded Czechoslovokia (I'm probably spelling that wrong) and the girl I was kind of seeing at the time, Lorraine Young, who marched Haddenfield Royaleer Mounties - Fran ask Wayne if he still remembers her - got a call from her parents that her older brother was MIA in Vietnam. Not good times

DCI Finals 1983 and the race riots outside the stadium...what a hoot. :blink:/>/>/>/>

On a more creepy note, my buddy and I flew from John Wayne/OC Airport out to Finals on Northwest Airlines in 1987. We flew home from Finals back to JWI/OC on August 17th, and when we arrived we were surprised to see all these relieved faces and family members seemingly going overboard hugging their loved ones as we exited the jetway. Then we heard someone say, "OMG, we thought your jet was the one that had crashed..." As it turned out, Northwest Airlines Flight 255, which was the other NWA flight due to terminate in JWI/OC that same afternoon, had crashed shortly after takeoff from the Detroit Metropolitan airport. Our plane was an MD-82, the same as Flight 255.

Edited by TRacer

Something tells me you're not taking this all that seriously... :)

I could tell you about some Contra scandals...

Oh, I am biting my tongue as I type!!!! :spitting:

• 2 weeks later...

In 1977, Peter Sutcliffe "The Yorkshire Ripper" was continuing his killing spree in Yorkshire England which had started in 1976. My Mom was very concerned that he hadn't been caught by the time we went to Europe, and the whole month of July was spent touring England.

And Elvis died in August '77.

August 9, 1974--Nixon resigned the office of the presidency. We heard about it while on the road during the eastern tour, just prior to '74 CYO.

Yes, we were at US Open. I remember this kid who was nicknamed "Joe Drum Corps" came running up to us before a brass rehearsal to tell us the news.

August 9, 1974--Nixon resigned the office of the presidency. We heard about it while on the road during the eastern tour, just prior to '74 CYO.