TV Can’t Save Drum Corps

Agreed. Drum corps is not particularly well suited to the small screen, unless it's in HD and pumping 5.1 or 7.1. You're never going to get more fans by broadcasting drum corps, partly because new fans will never really understand the experience of the performance via television.

Drum corps is an activity for people who marched drum corps. That's all it will ever be. And that's OK.

Absolutely true, IMO.

While I do think a PPV of finals might be a good idea, the 1/4's in the theaters and semis on the web are far better places to watch drum corps, IMO, esp the movie theaters.

And yes, it is an activity primarily for those who marched, in corps or marching band. Nothing wrong with that.

Drum corps is an activity for people who marched drum corps. That's all it will ever be. And that's OK.

By this statement you, whitedawn, also have to contend that the 'major' factor in the drum corps dwindling audience is directly related to fewer and fewer drum corps in DCI providing opportunities for members to march.

How, then, do you get those who have aged out of drum corps to keep watching drum corps? Clearly, right now, they're not.

Mike

more access to local shows

more engaging programming

and possibly, keep the kids from feeling burnt out and over it when they are done

By this statement you, whitedawn, also have to contend that the 'major' factor in the drum corps dwindling audience is directly related to fewer and fewer drum corps in DCI providing opportunities for members to march.

Yeah.

And the realization that there are fewer corps because the modern high school band has supplanted the "local corps" of the 1950's-80's.

Look, drum corps will always be a niche activity. I suspect that eventually only the top tier (G7 or TOC or whatever you want to call it) will exist, serving as the actual "major league" of marching, where it will continue to serve as the standard bearer of the marching activity in regard to show design, etc.

Yeah.

And the realization that there are fewer corps because the modern high school band has supplanted the "local corps" of the 1950's-80's.

Look, drum corps will always be a niche activity. I suspect that eventually only the top tier (G7 or TOC or whatever you want to call it) will exist, serving as the actual "major league" of marching, where it will continue to serve as the standard bearer of the marching activity in regard to show design, etc.

If you combine your statement, "Drum corps is an activity for people who marched drum corps. That's all it will ever be. and that is ok", with your agreement of, "Yeah." as it applies to less corps means less in the audience, along with your statement, "I suspect that eventually only the top tier (G7 or TOC or whatever you want to call it)."... the logical conclusion to be drawn here is that to you DCI will eventually need to really downsize the venues because just 7 corps will not yield many people who march, which will in turn not yield many people in the stands.

If you combine your statement, "Drum corps is an activity for people who marched drum corps. That's all it will ever be. and that is ok", with your agreement of, "Yeah." as it applies to less corps means less in the audience, along with your statement, "I suspect that eventually only the top tier (G7 or TOC or whatever you want to call it)."... the logical conclusion to be drawn here is that to you DCI will eventually need to really downsize the venues because just 7 corps will not yield many people who march, which will in turn not yield many people in the stands.

Yeah. I think that this is fairly accurate. Eventually, if drum corps continues its current path, it will regress to the minimum viable product, which is exactly what you've described.

Also, there are already far too many regionals, all of which dilute the "specialness" of Finals, which is really just a three-day regional.

Yeah. I think that this is fairly accurate. Eventually, if drum corps continues its current path, it will regress to the minimum viable product, which is exactly what you've described.

Also, there are already far too many regionals, all of which dilute the "specialness" of Finals, which is really just a three-day regional.

So,... To increase butts in the seats, make the DCI activity more accessible to many, many corps; create a situation where the major top corps do not see each other collectively until Finals; allow the fans the fun suspense of comparing summer scores from various shows to figure out potential final placement scenarios; have the great wonderful Finals at the end of the season; and for those who cannot afford to attend Finals broadcast the Finals, or a portion thereof, using the current technology available. Hmmmm... sounds eerily familiar? Or am I just experiencing deja vu?

• Like 2

I don't know how many times I have met people from Concord or Santa Clara that have never heard of BD or SCV back in the day but now you go to high schools and they are known a lot more! Hey a good portion of them are being taught by alumni of said corps.

Drum Corps is not dying it is just taking on a paradigm shift!

Look at what is going on this week in Dayton. hmmmmm kind of like drum corps isn't it?

• Like 1