Homosexuality in Drum Corps

I don't post as much as I used to, but I was reading an article on ESPN earlier today and it made me think of my drum corps experience. The article can be read here Basically, it talks about a lot of the different aspects of homosexuality in professional sports and it's gaining prominence. It's widely thought that a player or possibly small group, may come out in the near future.

I started to think back to my time in DCI. As a straight male, not once did I think twice or care about who else was in the shower or anything like that. It just wasn't an issue. Is DCI ahead of the curve for once? Is it just part of the culture and come with the territory of visual arts? Nobody seems to care what your sexual orientation is in the activity, as long as you're doing your job. Hopefully this doesn't spiral out of control as a topic as I know it could, but really curious to see what others think and if for once maybe DCI is ahead instead of 10 years behind.

Edited by Iplaytimpani
  • Like 4

But that's just it. They are using the same showers. And it's not a big deal. It's not even necessarily anyone's business. Do you have to fill out a survey before using a locker room at a gym?

But is gay/not gay (hate using 'straight') usually common knowledge in a corps?

Never thought of the shower part of this so been thinking about it the last few minutes.

Guessing there are a lot of opinions including:

Doesn't bother me at all

As long as I don't know who is gay, I'm not bothered

Creeped out knowing who is gay

Creeped out NOT knowing

Everyone stay the hell away from me anyway

As long as the eyes stay away from me... I'm OK...

As far as BITD and now.... thank goodness we're more knowledgable about homosexuality today. Thnking of some of the things "known" and said back then and just cringe. Weirdiest one (from ca 1978) was two guys I know thought going to a gay acceptance club (forget the name) would be a great place to pick up women. "Yeah those gals go there to be supportive and show they care, so if we act like we care....". NEVER occurred to them the women might be going there for another reason... :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Hey... we had split gyms when I marched in 08 and 09 whenever it was possible (we are based in Texas...)... so co-ed showers would not happen... one bag on body they really enforced though.

Showers were not an issue at all. I mean we are a bunch of artsy kids anyway. Most of us grew up as homosexuals as our best friends. And if you don't come out in high school.. you still know. Being gay isn't the big deal it is anymore. Especially in the arts.. I mean.. has it ever really been a huge issue in the arts? Now for sports, it is different. There are still a lot of stereotypes.. and I know in the gym class locker room these is probably still the issue of jocks vs every else.

Basically sports is gonna be behind in adapting to gays being in the same locker room. Honestly.. if you find it's a big deal.. you need to grow up. You are afraid some guy is gonna check you out? He's probably on a mission from the girls anyway... and take it as a compliment....

But again.. as most people in drum corps were involved in the arts throughout school, things tend to be a bit more liberal anyway. And you are just used to it... changing on the band bus... if you did musical theater.. you have dressing rooms.. you change backstage if need be. Stripping down just isn't a big deal for us... I mean.. we rehearse basically naked anyway.

• Like 6

But is gay/not gay (hate using 'straight') usually common knowledge in a corps?

Yes.

• Like 1

In before the close....

I had 2 gay brothers most of my life. While there were gays in corps, it really wasn't all that open in the early 70's. However, one of my brothers was captain of one of the most outlandish gay Carninval balls in NOLA.

When being hit on I would respond " Thanks for the compliment, but I'm straight". Funny how many would respond with " really my sister / girlfriend / cousin is here and we have the same taste in men, please come meet her"

I could care less who sees me in the shower. I could care less who's on my bus. It's all about being involved in creativity and it come in all forms.

• Like 8

Yes.

Hmmmm.... so if it would bother someone to shower with a gay person then they would know who they wanted to stay away from.

Thanks for the info.... see edit above for my 70s perspective.

Edited by JimF-LowBari