Homosexuality in Drum Corps

That's his point, Gary, I think....you can't take the gay component out of your comment and make the statement....your comment kinda assumes that gay men are really people who want to be women and that gay women are really people who want to be men...and that's not true...hopefully we've graduated from that at this point. Not trying to point fingers at you at all...just challenge the premise of your question.

not really saying that at all,..........

• Like 1

I hope this thread doesn't get closed because this is an interesting topic.

My rookie year was 2003. There were no openly gay members. One dude in the hornline constantly said he would "beat the living ----" out of any member who was gay.

I aged-out in 2006 and there were a dozen openly gay/lesbian members. No issues, besides some occasional couples drama ... which NEVER happens with straight couples, amirite?

That's just been the cultural tide. It's already happened with our activity. It's going to happen with college/pro sports eventually.

understood,........and I am with you,...............but, like I said above,..........take the gay componant out,..........a guy wants to head into the girls locker room,......is that cool or not?

Well.... it really depends if it is finals weekend or not... and how much alcohol and other substances has been consumed.. and....

ph34r.gif

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 2

The questions about the showers come from an old fashioned, factually inaccurate and stereotypical assumption that gay people by their very nature are uncontrollable hedonists who can't control themselves when if they see another person of the same gender in anything less than a full suit of armor. Not true.

Just because you're a dude and there's a gay dude in the locker room with you doesn't mean that person wants to jump your bones! And don't flatter yourself into thinking otherwise. The person's there to do a job just like you are. Don't assume they're checking out your junk just cause they're gay. Instead, assume that the person is as professional and serious as you are and will go about his/her business just like you would.

Do you believe that is the only reason why someone would have issues with having a homosexual shower with them? Re-word the above to co-ed showers/hetro and think some would have problems with that too. Only way I wouldn't think twice about showering with next to (being more specific) a gay guy is if I knew him enough to trust him. Otherwise the "respect personal boundry" rule (IOW - no peeking) would be in effect.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

But I'll bite anyway: male and female locker rooms are a gender social construct. If a guy walks in to a womens locker room, a fuss will be made because it's a social norm that's immediately being violated in plain view.

Knew a lot of guys at (DCI elgible) age who would have loved to be in the womens locker room and had nothing to do with breaking social norms. And everything to do with taking a good look.....

To answer OP, as an artistic activity, yes DCI is ahead of the curve. Showering is a non-issue, as is bus life etc. The reality is that gay males do not act in the locker room that way straight males would act in a co-ed locker room. And I suspect straight males in a co-ed locker room would only act childish when in a pack, throw one loud mouth guy in a girls locker room and he would shrink to the corner and hide under his towel.

DCI isn't broke in this way, please do not attempt to fix it.

• Like 1

Do you believe that is the only reason why someone would have issues with having a homosexual shower with them? Re-word the above to co-ed showers/hetro and think some would have problems with that too. Only way I wouldn't think twice about showering with next to (being more specific) a gay guy is if I knew him enough to trust him. Otherwise the "respect personal boundry" rule (IOW - no peeking) would be in effect.

What are the other reasons?