Homosexuality in Drum Corps

It didn't matter your race, sex or sexual orientation etc as long as you could drum, twirl or play!

Well, lets not go overboard here in " Sex ", as we do in fact have Corps in DCI where one's " Sex ", does indeed "matter" and is frankly even MORE important than one's ability to " drum, twirl, or play ". I'm not opposed to this " Sex " discrimination either, as its a form of " tradition " that appears to work and seems harmless to me. I am just pointing this out for accuracy's sake, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

There are gay people in drum corps? I had no idea.

Rumor is, there may even be some heterosexuals, bisexuals, non sexuals too in Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Guys, gals . . .

Homosexuals are real people. What more should be said?

Nothing, imo.

If so, I vote that we close the thread.

• Like 3

Just to reiterate, my intention with this topic wasn't about the current vibe of gays in drum corps. I know for a fact it's cool, and that pretty much any current marching member doesn't care. They have better things to worry about. But the intention of the tread was to discuss more about DCI being ahead of the sports curve on a subject where usually I feel they are very far behind. This is our major leagues in our activity. It's the equivalent for us as an nfl or NBA. And in our top groups, it's a non factor. Nobody even discusses it as there's nothing to discuss. The world of sports will blow up when someone comes out. It's a positive in my opinion about the DCI culture

• Like 1

How did you get this idea? Never said it and don't believe it. If I posted in a misleading way, let me know and I'll correct it.

Here's where asking questions would be a better idea instead of slamming on a misunderstanding.

Dude, I didn't slam you. This was me letting you know that you posted in a misleading way... I mean those people downvoted for you a reason and I'm explaining why... reread the post.

Edited by charlie1223

LOL never had to worry about that in the Sr corps world.... but then again NO shower for 36-48 hours (Fri PM rehearsal... night on bus going to show... show.... Sat night coming home on bus) might have been an incentive not to care if Freds Martians where in the shower.

As long as they didn't try to probe Uranus?! :tongue:/>

HEHEH i kill me!

Edited by Guard Diva
  • Like 2

Dude, I didn't slam you. This was me letting you know that you posted in a misleading way... I mean those people downvoted for you a reason and I'm explaining why.

Charlie,

You did jump on him pretty hard. You're pretty polarizing at times on here, which I guess the world needs all kinds. tongue.gif

Jim did post in an sort of ignorant way as well, hence the down voting. We've got to remember though, there are many age groups in here that express things differently.

We should all just "own it" and move forward.

I personally am amazed that the topic hasn't blown up yet; your slam seems to have the most lively so far...

Kum By Ya and all that...

• Like 1

Just because you're a dude and there's a gay dude in the locker room with you doesn't mean that person wants to jump your bones! And don't flatter yourself into thinking otherwise. The person's there to do a job just like you are. Don't assume they're checking out your junk just cause they're gay. Instead, assume that the person is as professional and serious as you are and will go about his/her business just like you would.

Consider the flip side though... If a straight guy were in the shower and a girl walked in and started undressing, he probalby WOULD check her out....so he assumes that guys are going to check HIM out.

It's not a GAY thing, it's GUY thing ( I think.) And as a gay man, yes, I DO check out guys junk in the shower. doesn't mean I'm going to try and jump them... Most I am COMPLETELY uninterested in anyway. Americans have a HUGE hang up with nudity. I was reading about some undist colonies once (no, i've never been) and most say that trying to keep your eyes "up" makes it more difficult to function. Once you take that one all important glance down, you note the naked body in all it's glory, and you move on.

Realize also that a lot of guys in drum corps are still young and insecure about their looks/bodies and yes, even straight guys check out other guys bodies, just to see how they measure up.

• Like 2

Charlie,

You did jump on him pretty hard. You're pretty polarizing at times on here, which I guess the world needs all kinds. tongue.gif

Jim did post in an sort of ignorant way as well, hence the down voting. We've got to remember though, there are many age groups in here that express things differently.

We should all just "own it" and move forward.

I personally am amazed that the topic hasn't blown up yet; your slam seems to have the most lively so far...

Kum By Ya and all that...

Okay, well I didn't realize that using the imagery of George Hopkins naked would come across as polarizing. Clearly it's just indicative of DCP. More time explaining how we were misrepresented than actually explaining what we meant.

For what its worth I don't think ANYONE on this thread has been offensive, even just a little. Even all the people I was responding to weren't offensive! And I wasn't offended. I mean, what I wrote didn't indict anyone. I was clearly explaining how their words came across in a very light-hearted way and only spoke about the words typed and not the person.

I talked about George Hopkins naked for goodness sake! Clearly I was being silly.

Of topic... if you want to PM me about how I'm polarizing let me know...

Edited by charlie1223