Homosexuality in Drum Corps

I don't post as much as I used to, but I was reading an article on ESPN earlier today and it made me think of my drum corps experience. The article can be read here Basically, it talks about a lot of the different aspects of homosexuality in professional sports and it's gaining prominence. It's widely thought that a player or possibly small group, may come out in the near future.

Not to derail the topic, but, I think your premise is not true. The article you are referring to is coming from the NYT. The NYT is pushing an agenda here. I don't know that anyone knows there's a dam about to burst with lots of gay athletes coming out. The NYT would like for that to happen and is pushing that agenda, but, whether it has an basis in reality is another thing.

Anyway, back to shower stories

One dude in the hornline constantly said he would "beat the living ----" out of any member who was gay.

9 times out of 10, THAT's the guy who is closeted gay. There were always gay people in the various corps I was in and we either knew for sure or just assumed they were cuz it was obvious. Was it ever a problem? No. Has anyone ever been accosted by a gay guy in a drum corps shower? I strongly doubt it. The only problems I recall with gay people in drum corps were the adult letches, often corps directors, who preyed on young boys. It was quite common back in the day and we learned to watch out for them.

Gary, I remember quite a few in T-Birds who were gay and we shared the same showers on the rare occasions we had showers. It wasn't an issue. And I agree with the poster who said the part about confusing physical gender with sexuality. That's 100% correct, they are 2 different things entirely.

Homophobia is exactly that, a PHOBIA, a type of mental illness.

• Like 1

heh. Stay off my lawn!

Don't look at my body as I don't want to hear you retching.... :tongue:

Seriously, I was thinking of people who are self conscious and/or newbies not used to showering with bunch of strangers.

As for athletes coming out should be interesting as read other articles on how far we've come with athletes coming out shortly after they retire or percentage of players who would accept a gay teammate. Who knows but would not be surprised either way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It seems like everyone has their own opinion. The ten thousandth "Gays in DCI" thread will end the same way as the rest have.

For me I could care less. I marched with lots of gay men as I was in the color guard. Nobody cared. We were all there for the same reason and it had nothing to do with our sexuality. I never saw any issues between the gay men and the strait men. Our activity is probably ahead of the curve in that aspect.

• Like 3

I figured that this topic would derail a little, so I want to try and reel it in a little.

Is DCI ahead of professional sports in this matter? To take it a step further, does anyone think this issue since it is a hot bed issue right now could be used to help DCI be brought into the forefront of concersation?

3 seasons, all guy Corps, never once crossed my mind in the shower that someone would be checking me out. Us and Scouts are the same, we're brothers, and we're there to do a job.

• Like 2