Homosexuality in Drum Corps

I call for coed showers

That's just so Battlestar Galactica of you!

tongue.gif

• Like 2

I figured that this topic would derail a little, so I want to try and reel it in a little.

Is DCI ahead of professional sports in this matter?

In what respect ?

That's just so Battlestar Galactica of you!

tongue.gif

Oh c'mon, Starship Troopers had it way first!

• Like 1

Last time I checked, gay or straight, there wasn't enough TIME for messing around in the showers, what with all the other stuff you had to do before leaving a show site (ie packing, clean/maintenance your instrument, load the bus, do whatever miscellaneous duties you're assigned to, etc.).

Besides, that's what the back of the bus was for- it was dark and everybody else was asleep, so you at least had some sort of privacy then! :w00t:

As for staffs, most corps have now established "best practice" guidelines which aims to have staffs shower at a separate time whenever the facilities allow.

I'm sure the whole Jerry Sandusky debacle had something to do with that...

Of course, back when I marched, it wasn't uncommon to see staff members sharing the showers with corps members- and I can recall some staff members that were more fond of playing grab-### (so to speak) than most members were.

Line I have an issue with is: "Just because you're a dude and there's a gay dude in the locker room with you doesn't mean that person wants to jump your bones!" which I do not believe. But that doesn't rule out getting looked over while in the shower. Or at least the fear of getting checked out.

C'mon (hetro) guys.. we check out the women when we get the chance. And if we were all in a co-ed shower do you think some of the guys wouldn't have problems keeping their eyes off a nice looking female.

So what would be the difference between hetro in the co-ed shower and gay in the same sex shower? And how much more alike can ya get?

Like straight men have never looked at another straight man in the shower...or straight woman never looked at another nude- not necessarily in a sexual context.....but I know (straight)guys in high school who got their nicknames from (straight guys) the locker room---and it was not because no one was looking :-) There is an assumption that someone "wants to jump someone's bones--that they have no boundaries.....We all have thoughts and maybe impure at times, but with a conscience, would be likely to avoid the consequences of violating another's boundaries...like... oh rape, jail, emotional, physical harm.

The one way it was described to me was: picture yourself in this scenario,.......your a straight guy heading to the locker/shower room of your housing sight..........would you be allowed to head into the girls showers?,...........I think not,..........so in turn, should someone that is homosexual be allowed into the showers with members of the same sex?

yes. I never once worried. I have several gay friends from the activity and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable.

• Like 3

understood Other Mike,..................but again, take the Gay componant out,..........would the girls be okay with a guy heading into their locker/shower room,.........

some girls would

:ph34r:/>

There are gay people in drum corps? I had no idea.

• Like 2