WGI Percussion

From a strictly entertainment perspective, I felt more entertained last night at the WGI World Class percussion finals than I have at DCI Finals. I love DCI and BOA as well, but I felt like I saw the future of the activity there. The breadth of the variety in the shows was incredible. The thread about DCI on tv made me think that this should be on TV since the shows are in the right timing window for commercials between shows.

I won't get into specific shows, but will say there were some highly creative people involved with these groups to put these things together.

Oh, and congrats to Blue Knights, Oregon Crusaders, and Minnesota Brass for having lines in finals. If you've never seen this stuff live, you owe it to yourself to see it at least once even if you're not a percussionist. All I can say is "Wow!"

• Like 1

From a strictly entertainment perspective, I felt more entertained last night at the WGI World Class percussion finals than I have at DCI Finals. I love DCI and BOA as well, but I felt like I saw the future of the activity there. The breadth of the variety in the shows was incredible. The thread about DCI on tv made me think that this should be on TV since the shows are in the right timing window for commercials between shows.

I won't get into specific shows, but will say there were some highly creative people involved with these groups to put these things together.

Oh, and congrats to Blue Knights, Oregon Crusaders, and Minnesota Brass for having lines in finals. If you've never seen this stuff live, you owe it to yourself to see it at least once even if you're not a percussionist. All I can say is "Wow!"

An event that last eight hours is not marketable to TV. I didn't log into the Fan Network until after 7:00PM EDT and while I did find the performances very entertaining after about three hours I just wanted it to end. DCI, BOA and WGI need to put on more compact events but this would destroy the live audience participation effect.

Don't forget Vanguard Cadets and Rosemont Cavaliers (Green Thunder Percussion) who also had representative units of their fine organizations.

Although we are hearing more and more percussion lines in various TV commercials, I don't know if so many hours of solely percussion would have a TV audience beyond drummers. Just my humble opinion.

An event that last eight hours is not marketable to TV. I didn't log into the Fan Network until after 7:00PM EDT and while I did find the performances very entertaining after about three hours I just wanted it to end. DCI, BOA and WGI need to put on more compact events but this would destroy the live audience participation effect.

I watched both Scholastic and Independent World (live stream) and I too was ready for it to be over before it really was. Its probably just because Im not a drummer and can only handle so much at one time but... if someone like me who loves the marching arts cant watch that much at one time, I doubt the average joe could either.

I dont think DCI Finals is too long though.

Now, to people who travel long distances to watch WGI live, I doubt they have a problem with the length. More bang for the buck.

From a strictly entertainment perspective, I felt more entertained last night at the WGI World Class percussion finals than I have at DCI Finals. I love DCI and BOA as well, but I felt like I saw the future of the activity there.

I agree, and I think that's been the case for quite a long time. The reason why Cadets 2000 tenor solo existed is because of a WGI HS line in the late-90's who did the same thing. Blue Devils 2007 drum line choreography thing felt like old-hat to WGI fans who had been seeing similar stuff for years. The amount of creativity on both sides of WGI (admittedly I'm a percussionist so I'm no where near as well-versed on WGI guard as I am with WGI percussion) is incredible, and has been a driving force in DCI for quite a long time. I feel like DCI shows are more about precision than any sort of mind-blowing innovation, where as WGI is truly as "how in the crap can anyone ever top this design? Oh wait: the next group just did - wow!" It's unbelievable!!

Don't get me wrong, I love DCI as well, and Cadets 2000 tenor solo was incredibly entertaining and amazingly executed (as was the BD drum line thing). WGI percussion is really the forefront of the activity though (as I imagine WGI guard is in that world).

• Like 3

Got caught up on a few of the WGI shows, both guard and percussion.

I have to agree...these shows are innovative, creative and brilliant. BUT.....I don't find them to have the emotion that DCI brings to the table.

Drum corps shows to me, are the complete package.

The sum of all parts.

The melody and power of the brass, the guard toss at the right moment, the 1 minute drum feature. The stadium, the bright lights....the perfect combination.

When I watch Wgi Im amazed and in awe. When I watch drum corps I'm amazed, in awe, and emotional.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

I enjoy the WGI percussion as it is exciting and innovative. I wish I could say the same for WGI color guard, but I find the guards programs to be horribly boring. None of the guards really use upbeat music, and I feel like I am just watching a dance recital with a few big tosses of the equipment here and there. I do realize that WGI color guard has had a lot of growth so I suppose I am in the minority. I would say in the 80's and early 90's I enjoyed WGI color guard more than DCI, but that has drastically changed for me over the past decade.