Marching tubas

davland

• 1 month later...

Here's some of the things I have gathered through personal experience with these horns.

Ergonomics:

Yamaha - Lighter and well balanced.

King - Lighter and forward balanced.

Jupiter - Heavier and forward balanced.

Intonation:

Jupiter - Great open tuning

King - Plays open F quite sharp. (You need to lip F down a lot or use a trigger)

Yamaha - Good open tuning from my limited experience.

I like everything about yamaha exept the left hand position. I don't like how it makes your frame look from in front. With kings your arms are in a more triangular position that matches the other brass better and IMO looks more schnazzy.

I may be in the market for a couple of used marching tubas. Tell me what you like and don't like. Also, who makes the lightest marching tubas. I'm not interested in 3/4 tubas. Only 4/4.

Thanks!

Very limited exposure to Jupiter. I like the way it sounds, but that's about it.

Haven't played or held current King/System Blue horns. I marched an early 2000s King tuba (the kind Phantom used in 2003) and it was a nightmare. The soldering on the bracings was almost non-existent. My two-year old horn was held together by zip ties at one point in the season.

I currently use a the standard Yamaha marching tuba. It's the best. It's light-weight and balanced perfectly. Tuning is easy. My only complaint is I can never get a good low-C (first and third valves) pitch out if it ... it's a fight every time. Otherwise, it sounds great. My favorite part, though: it's sturdy as hell. I've used it since 2007 and other than some minor dents, it looks great.

Not sure if you're looking for three or four-valve horns. Yamaha only makes the three-valve model.