Missing Corps

Keep it civil.

sorry i got carried away. it won't happen again.

Kingston Grenadiers

Steel City Ambassadors

Fitchburg Kingsmen

L'Odysee

Utica Executives

Criterions

Holy Rosary Caballeros

Gulf Coast Sound

Geneva Appleknockers (Sr.)

Rochester Grey Knights

Rochester Phoenix

Pittsburg Rockets

Erie Thunderbirds

Hamburg Kingsmen

Interstatesmen

Geneva Appleknockers (Sr.)

Rochester Grey Knights

Rochester Phoenix

Pittsburg Rockets

Erie Thunderbirds

Hamburg Kingsmen

Interstatesmen

Wow, Geneva Appleknockers. There's a name I haven't heard in 30 years. I grew up in Canandaigua which is just one lake to the west of Geneva. I always thought The Appleknockers had to be one of the best names I've heard for a drum corps. I use it often when talking to all the young kids in Atlanta CV. They always want to hear about the old days and they think I am pulling their leg when I mention the Geneva Appleknockers. I just tell them to look it up...they come back stunned! ;)

Dan

Thanks Geoff! This is about missing corps that are no longer with us. We can complain all we want but what is meant to be is meant to be. I am sure many have tried to keep what we had going but "The times they are a changin'" Nixon hasn't been President in almost 40 years. We all move on, we get older, so what. We may have our opinions about the state of drum corps BUT it is what it is. We either accept it or go somewhere else.

So...lets reminisce, remember the good times we have and allow the kids today to form memories of their time now.

So...lets reminisce, remember the good times we have and allow the kids today to form memories of their time now.

You're right Keith, so in the original spirit of the thread please remember:

The Magnificent Yankees of Utica

The Canadian Commanders

The Chessmen

The Salamanca Black Knights

The Cornplanters

The Brockport-Batavia Cavaliers (you may have to go back a ways to "remember" that one)

...and one more time please for a corps that really could have used it's own Survivor Support Group (lol), The Rochester Phoenix.

Mike Covell

• Like 2

The Chessmen

Solid Eastern States Circuit corps. My first two years in junior corps... 1971-72... they won the ESC championship, from what I remember.

Jim Prime Sr. and Jim Prime Jr. were both involved with that corps.

"So there you have it", "NOBODY KNOWS DRUM CORPS EXISTS! it's been dying for decades." ...... Thanks for chiming in Mr.brightside :thumbdown:/>...

Honestly Don, do you ever have anything positive to say? :sad:/>/> ............

What exactly can you point to in a positive way as to how the activity is growing?...He's right, the activity has been in decline for years....Doesn't matter how many class A corps or mini corps are added that people get so amped about......all that means nothing when the stadiums are largely empty. Look at how the open class corps struggle to to maintain the quality of the product.

IMO...The way DCI evolved gradually killed the local activity...pretty much like David vs Goliath, only over the long haul, David looses. Without David, the fan base gets thinner by the year....It's difficult to put a positive spin on it when you realize the stark difference between the past & present. It's a sad reality for so many people who've been life long drum corps affecionados that remember & experienced drum corps when it enjoyed such widespread popularity.....just my 2 cents, and by the way, I miss them all!

• Like 1

Hey Fish, well put, the only positive at the present time is the Alumni movement but that will also dissapear as we grow older and the current becomes the old

SOMF

What exactly can you point to in a positive way as to how the activity is growing?...He's right, the activity has been in decline for years....Doesn't matter how many class A corps or mini corps are added that people get so amped about......all that means nothing when the stadiums are largely empty. Look at how the open class corps struggle to to maintain the quality of the product.

IMO...The way DCI evolved gradually killed the local activity...pretty much like David vs Goliath, only over the long haul, David looses. Without David, the fan base gets thinner by the year....It's difficult to put a positive spin on it when you realize the stark difference between the past & present. It's a sad reality for so many people who've been life long drum corps affecionados that remember & experienced drum corps when it enjoyed such widespread popularity.....just my 2 cents, and by the way, I miss them all!

Hey Fish, well put, the only positive at the present time is the Alumni movement but that will also dissapear as we grow older and the current becomes the old

SOMF

I fear you're right Billy...The alumni movement does have a definate shelf life. Interesting note however is that the popularity they enjoy is due to their "old time" flavor

SOMF