Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

Times have changed and along with them, expectations for instant communication. I can't imagine today taking off across the country with two other 18 year old friends and camping out in the Rockies for a week, with no communication but one phone call to mom halfway through the trip to let her know we're alive. But that's what I did BITD, and it was just the norm for that time. Today, instant contact is the norm, whenever you get the urge.

Because the members are talking to their brokers about making major stock buys or sales? Their under-executives awaiting their decisions before executing papers connected to important mergers? tongue.gif

Nah. Look, there are a number of things about Cavaliers that make me scratch my head, but that policy always struck me as pretty smart when it comes to what drum corps is supposed to be doing. Fostering relationships with the real humans sitting next to them, putting members into situations where they couldn't call home for mommy when they felt lonely or hurt, etc, etc, etc. The kids marching drum corps now have been in a constant-contact world most of their lives, and will be again, once their seasons are done. To have a few months of being off the grid strikes me as more of a luxury than a punishment.

why is it a luxury to live without modern conveniences? I am younger, yes... I have a cell phone, but it is not a smart phone. Technology is not a burden that needs to be lifted.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet

I was wrong.

One year ago I left the internet. I thought it was making me unproductive. I thought it lacked meaning. I thought it was "corrupting my soul."

It's a been a year now since I "surfed the web" or "checked my email" or "liked" anything with a figurative rather than literal thumbs up. I've managed to stay disconnected, just like I planned. I'm internet free.

And now I'm supposed to tell you how it solved all my problems. I'm supposed to be enlightened. I'm supposed to be more "real," now. More perfect.

why is it a luxury to live without modern conveniences?

I would not say it is a luxury to live without modern conveniences; but I would say that it is actually refreshing to get away from modern technology for a while. You find that when away from modern situations you observe things you missed while being buried in the cyber virtual world of internet/tweeting/texting, you become aware of more simple and wonderful things, you engage in more face to face interactions, each giving you a broader view of all aspects of life.

I am younger, yes... I have a cell phone, but it is not a smart phone. Technology is not a burden that needs to be lifted.

Technology is a tool, nothing more. It is the use of that technology which determines whether it is an advantage or a burden

I would not say it is a luxury to live without modern conveniences; but I would say that it is actually refreshing to get away from modern technology for a while. You find that when away from modern situations you observe things you missed while being buried in the cyber virtual world of internet/tweeting/texting, you become aware of more simple and wonderful things, you engage in more face to face interactions, each giving you a broader view of all aspects of life.

perhaps...

or perhaps you aren't in contact with many people that you would like to be.

perhaps...

or perhaps you aren't in contact with many people that you would like to be.

perhaps...

... or perhaps you might discover that being away from modern technology for a period of time yields the developing an awareness of the subtle; allowing you to become enveloped in the 'real' world around you, as opposed to the virtual world, without outside intrusion, bringing you into a level of deeper appreciation of everything (and you will learn to live, understand, and feel exactly what Shakespeare meant when he penned, "Parting is such sweet sorrow."); those experiences are far, far, far greater than 'always' being under the control of instant gratification through modern technology.

• Like 4

So, it is ok with you for people to use their smart phones 'whenever' they get the urge?

I think expecting no contact for days and weeks on end is certainly not the norm. Once or twice a day, what's wrong with that? I was stating what the norm is. Not sure why you are inferring I'm ok with it.

perhaps...

... or perhaps you might discover that being away from modern technology for a period of time yields the developing an awareness of the subtle; allowing you to become enveloped in the 'real' world around you, as opposed to the virtual world, without outside intrusion, bringing you into a level of deeper appreciation of everything (and you will learn to live, understand, and feel exactly what Shakespeare meant when he penned, "Parting is such sweet sorrow."); those experiences are far, far, far greater than 'always' being under the control of instant gratification through modern technology.

I'd rather be allowed to decide for myself, not have some draconian measures thrust upon me just because one person wants it his way. This is my life, and I get to decide - I think Cadets said something about that a few years back.

• Like 3

I think expecting no contact for days and weeks on end is certainly not the norm. Once or twice a day, what's wrong with that? I was stating what the norm is. Not sure why you are inferring I'm ok with it.

Nobody, not even me, has stated that there needs to be an expectation of 'no' contact for days and weeks on end. However, limiting the contact certainly is a valuable teaching tool on multiple levels.

I'd rather be allowed to decide for myself, not have some draconian measures thrust upon me just because one person wants it his way. This is my life, and I get to decide - I think Cadets said something about that a few years back.

Draconian?!?! Are you kidding?!?! Limiting a kid on his/her cell phone use is draconian?!?!? We are the adults, they are the kids; we must teach them various things through various means; and one of those items is that you do not always get what you want when you want and how you want. If you are a kid you should only have choices within certain perimeters. Why? Because even as adults we have to live within rules and regulations; and adults limiting those choices for kids is a very valuable teaching responsibility that we have has adults.