Worst performance ever

Our first show in 1968 was a disaster. Our idiot staff had written a drill that had the drumline packed on the back sideline, and the horns at the front sideline. The drum instructor told the drums to come off with a crisp, fast pace, while the horn staff told the horns to come off smooth and controlled. We were out of sync within 8 counts. We in the color guard spent the entire first half of the show calling cadence, trying to get us back in sync. At concert, we were all looking around to see where everyone ended up and where we had to go to try to make the second half work.

What was your nightmare performance?

What was your nightmare performance?

My entire last two years in my junior corps. :tongue:

In 1975, my first year in the Alberta Girls 'B' we traveled to a town called Olds, Alberta for a rodeo one weekend. It was our first public performance, I'll say it was in May. We did our drill in the mud, muck and horse buns of the rodeo area. The worst show in the history of our corp, I'm sure. Our french horn soloist was also a first year and very nervous. She hit every wrong note in the book. Thankfully there weren't too many in the stands but many of our parents had traveled there to see us. My Mom teased me about Olds for many years after. It was a disaster.

Not either corps I marched with, but I did see a D1 corps in Indy at the Hoosierdome ( or whatever it was being called then) in 2005 line up 5 yards too far to the left on side 2. They recovered by the end of the opening number and when I saw the horn cap head in the stands, I remarked to her that they did recover nicely. The look of disgust on her face said it all. And the director later asked me , "How can we rehearse this show for months and nobody in the corps informs the DM or he doesn't notice that we are lined up wrong?" He was truly concerned as DCI in Foxboro was only a few days away. A couple of members I knew told me they had never seen him or the staff so mad at the entire corps and that night bus ride was the longest ride they ever had as kids stayed up for quite some time arguing and pointing fingers at who was at fault. I'd bet this has happened to a few corps at one time.

Not either corps I marched with, but I did see a D1 corps in Indy at the Hoosierdome ( or whatever it was being called then) in 2005 line up 5 yards too far to the left on side 2. They recovered by the end of the opening number and when I saw the horn cap head in the stands, I remarked to her that they did recover nicely. The look of disgust on her face said it all. And the director later asked me , "How can we rehearse this show for months and nobody in the corps informs the DM or he doesn't notice that we are lined up wrong?" He was truly concerned as DCI in Foxboro was only a few days away. A couple of members I knew told me they had never seen him or the staff so mad at the entire corps and that night bus ride was the longest ride they ever had as kids stayed up for quite some time arguing and pointing fingers at who was at fault. I'd bet this has happened to a few corps at one time.

87 Empire Statesmen at a show in Canada (Hamilton). We lined up 5 yards off because we weren't used to a 55 yard line.

However, Dave Bruni realized the error, gave the corps a nice loud "left face....forward 8....right face" and we were ready to go.

Got a nice bit of applause out of that as I recall.

My personal worst show in 84 BD was Sound Expo....primarily because I forgot a turn direction change we'd made that day and almost clanked horns with the guy behind me.

Most miserable day on the field is a 3 way tie between the very cold/windy/rainy 06 DCA prelims, and the surface of the sun hot rehearsals before the Loomis, CA show in 03 and the Sacramento show in 05.

Junior.....1973 or 74...Sheffield, PA (on Route 666). Came to the closer of "If" as I went to the 50, brought my soprano up played the first two eighth notes and my mind went black until the last whole note. Great thing? No one said a word.

Senior...Last year with Rochester Crusaders. 2002 or 03....The visual staff made a small change the day before, continue an additional 8 counts. Why this wasn't done weeks ago I'll never know. I was having a great show marching and playing until I stopped and forgot to go 8 more counts. Knowing some of the people there I decided to fade away. I didn't go to any party that night, just turned in my stuff, went to my room and disappeared.

My mistake wasn't going to move us up in standing. I felt bad and never marched again.

we reminisced about this one over the past weekend:

1976, Derry Patriots early morning American International prelims starting off the back sideline, somewhwere in the morning fog. DM was supposed to (a) salute, call hornline to (b) attention, © dress, then (d) mark time - she jumped straight from (a) to ©. like watching a train wreck in slow motion, some of us saw it coming and tried to get her attention, several folks even falling on their knees 'fainting', but too late. the half of the corps not at rest took off into the fog, leaving the hornline behind. took about 20 seconds for her to realize she was directing half a corps, stopped and reset the others. rinse, repeat, then done.

first on, last place...it was a long day.

Would have been my first show with the Glass City Optimist in 1969 playing an old Ludwig baritone, one piston. Must have been American Legion or VFW because we were on the third starting line behind the Chicago Cavaliers and the Marion Cadets. We had about 45-50 people in the corps and referred to ourselves as the rinky dinks. Marion was a pretty big time corps in those days. The field was covered in straw because it was mostly mud. I was told not to play so they could tic me for cracked notes. Learned to "play" baritone and march in time just a few months earlier. Even though I sucked I still got the greatest thrill marching that show.

Junior.....1973 or 74...Sheffield, PA (on Route 666). Came to the closer of "If" as I went to the 50, brought my soprano up played the first two eighth notes and my mind went black until the last whole note. Great thing? No one said a word.

Senior...Last year with Rochester Crusaders. 2002 or 03....The visual staff made a small change the day before, continue an additional 8 counts. Why this wasn't done weeks ago I'll never know. I was having at great show marching and playing until I stopped and forgot to go 8 more counts. Knowing some of the people there I decided to fade away. I didn't go to any party that night, just turned in my stuff, went to my room and disappeared.

My mistake wasn't going to move us up in standing. I felt bad and never marched again.

Sheffield. I had all but forgotten that place. We used to ride on Rt.666 forever it seemed and it seemed the road terminated at a burned out Church. Kind of weird, huh?

They always put us in a club house that you had to cross a foot bridge to get to the building. I heard it burnt to the ground years ago. I was there with Patriots one year and they had 14 snares in the parade (curb to curb).

Sheffield. I had all but forgotten that place. We used to ride on Rt.666 forever it seemed and it seemed the road terminated at a burned out Church. Kind of weird, huh?