Worst performance ever

Kilties, DCI finals, 1972. Coming out of concert, the drum major was supposed to bring up the horns, call mark time, and the horns and drums come in ff immediately on count 1--no 4-for-nothing. And we were moving immediately on count 1. Had been this way all season and was pretty well locked into everyone's minds.

Except this time (of all times...) the drum major forgot to bring up the horns before calling mark time--so there was no time for anyone to get their horn up, sticks out, etc., before starting to play. And we were already moving. Needless to say, chaos ensued for about 16 counts. Somehow, we recovered and pulled it back together, but the performance was way off after that. Thought we had an outside shot at 5th or 6th, ended up 8th or 9th--not all because of the train wreck, but it sure couldn't have helped.

Wow 14 snares!!!!

The pit members had to march either cymbals, bass drum and snare in some cases.

They always put us in a club house that you had to cross a foot bridge to get to the building. I heard it burnt to the ground years ago. I was there with Patriots one year and they had 14 snares in the parade (curb to curb).

Not corps, but at a show in high school a tuba player actually decided as they finishing it was a good time for a yelling match with the principal. Extremely embarrassing for the band!

My next-to-last year in junior corps... 1975.... the corps I was with... Sacred Heart Crusaders from Manville, NJ, had an absolutely horrific performance at the World Open Class B prelims. (World Open was Class A and Class B, the equivalent back then of Open Class and Class A, basically.)

Our corps director/brass instructor/drill instructor had a habit of rehearsing us into the ground before pretty much every show we did... I mean, he never knew when to ease up on us... and that week was no exception. We arrived in Massachusetts earlier in the week, and rehearsed every day, all day, in rainy, windy and chilly conditions.

By the time prelims day arrived, we were toast.

It was still rainy and cool on show day... the field was a muddy mess. And we SUCKED. :tongue:

Nothing went right. What a horror show. I remember several of us losing shoes on the field... they got stuck in the mud and just fell right off our feet.

We lost to corps that day that I had never heard of... and have never heard from since. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Not corps, but at a show in high school a tuba player actually decided as they finishing it was a good time for a yelling match with the principal. Extremely embarrassing for the band!

HS Band. Our tiny school district was cutting back & we only had a part-time disinterested band director. During a Halloween parade the song we were butchering fell apart and for some unexplainable reason the entire band started running. We ran about three blocks until the end of the parade, me running with 14/16/18 timptoms. The crowd was astonished and the next school board meeting we got a full time band director!

1974.....the 3rd year we layed over for several days to practice at the same school.

We always worked hard in the mornings and light in the afternoons.

At lunch break most people headed 2 blocks to main street while the older kids ( over 18) headed the other direction to a bar/rest. with a few pool tables that we had discovered the 1st year there.

ICE COLD Blatz beer was 15 cents a HUGE mug and a plate of fried catfish was like $1.25.

WE always managed to keep it together for practice and some days we would have "nap time"

I believe this was in Quincy Il.

We drank our ##### of because there was nothing scheduled except for "rookie talent night"

We drank for 4 hours and upon a return we were rushed into uniforms since the director accepted an invite to play in the public park............use your imagination

• Like 1

We drank for 4 hours and upon a return we were rushed into uniforms since the director accepted an invite to play in the public park............use your imagination

Sounds like a big "Not A Good Idea" right there. :tongue:

Sounds like a big "Not A Good Idea" right there. :tongue:/>

1975 Sun - night before DCA we had an exhibition in Syracuse almost exactly an hour after I left my sister's wedding in Long Island (you could still get through an airport in that kind of time back then). I was more than a little tipsy, not a great marcher (well documented) and had a few solos.

First show of 1975 at East Haven CT (of course with Sun) - the front of the field went on fire while I was standing out there playing "My Man's Gone Now" (from Porgy and Bess). Front Lights went out. Corps behind me started phasing by a whole count side to side while I waited to make solo re-entry as the Fire Department put out the fire. Wasn't SoCal fire but got my attention. Might have been a personal worst.

1974.....the 3rd year we layed over for several days to practice at the same school.

We always worked hard in the mornings and light in the afternoons.

At lunch break most people headed 2 blocks to main street while the older kids ( over 18) headed the other direction to a bar/rest. with a few pool tables that we had discovered the 1st year there.

ICE COLD Blatz beer was 15 cents a HUGE mug and a plate of fried catfish was like $1.25.

WE always managed to keep it together for practice and some days we would have "nap time"

I believe this was in Quincy Il.

We drank our ##### of because there was nothing scheduled except for "rookie talent night"

Blatz beer? You probably paid for your choice the next day as well.