Worst performance ever

Suncoast Sound's first show in 1986 was in Atlanta. We were *barely* able to perform the opener correctly at that point (The Commencement to Adventures in Time). We had a tear so bad the drum majros almost stopped the show. I think there were smething like three different endings to that opener. The rest of the show was not much better. The results?

Lost to Spirit by 9 points, Scouts by 8 points, and Star by over 5 points. Absolutely embarrassing. After that show we headed out west, and never lost to any of those corps again.

• Like 1

My next-to-last year in junior corps... 1975.... the corps I was with... Sacred Heart Crusaders from Manville, NJ, had an absolutely horrific performance at the World Open Class B prelims. (World Open was Class A and Class B, the equivalent back then of Open Class and Class A, basically.)

Our corps director/brass instructor/drill instructor had a habit of rehearsing us into the ground before pretty much every show we did... I mean, he never knew when to ease up on us... and that week was no exception. We arrived in Massachusetts earlier in the week, and rehearsed every day, all day, in rainy, windy and chilly conditions.

By the time prelims day arrived, we were toast.

It was still rainy and cool on show day... the field was a muddy mess. And we SUCKED. :tongue:/>

Nothing went right. What a horror show. I remember several of us losing shoes on the field... they got stuck in the mud and just fell right off our feet.

We lost to corps that day that I had never heard of... and have never heard from since. LOL.

I remember that day Fran just like you do. I think we (Black Watch) were a little after Manville in performance order. What a lousy day for a contest and our performance matched it too. One of those days I'd sooner forget! :sad: :sad:

I'll have to listen to my Whitewater prelims recording from that year.. .......( I wonder where I got those.:ph34r:/>/>)

I don't remember that happening, but, of course we were still caught up in the entire:

"Live from Sacramento............The Freelancers!"

The vocal was 84....no vocals allowed in 83.

I got knee walking drunk the night before a circuit individual championship. I had planned to play 'The Fox Hunters' but when I tried to warm up I realized that would be impossible as my teeth itched and my tongue was asleep. So I settled for a Glenn Miller tune instead, forgetting about the high "G" near the end. To no one's surprise I finished dead last. I was amazed that I got a score at all, much less a 50. Don Angelica was the judge and to this day I appreciate the humanity in his final comment, "Good spirit and good tone quality throughout...but your performance was not enhanced by the beer foam dripping from the bell of your horn".

A few years later,(when I was judging a DCE show for him), our paths crossed again and I reminded him of the incident. There was a sudden gleam of recognition in his eyes and he said, "I remember that performance, you looked and sounded like two miles of bad road!" "And by the way, you owe me 20 points". Ah, the humanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow... lowest score for my junior corps, during my years there, was a 34.

And I thought that sucked. :tongue:/>/>

My first competition was 37.35 but we learned the end of the drill about 30 minutes before the show started. Don't count it as the worst as first show in almost 2 seasons for the corps. We knew the first part and would have been in the 50s or so which wasn't that bad for first time back (and the week BEFORE :shutup:/> DCA). Then we got to the part after concert and well still can't remember it but legend has it our score would have been lower but execution judges ran out of room on the sheets for the tic marks. Supposedly they left a good bit of room since the first half of the show wasn't that bad. (And they couldn't go back to the empty spaces to fill it in. :devil:/> )

Worse thing I remember was one field DM messing up badly follow year at DCA Prelims. All season we did the first drum solo and there was one beat of silence and we started the second song ('Livin' For The City'). The ONLY time all season this DM did a TWO count silence (never knew why) and half the horn line was a beat behind on (now) "Livin' For The ####y". Lasted about 32 counts until we could turn front and see the head DM. Might have cost us Associate membership in DCA which might have made a different history for us the next few years as we might have gotten more DCA show$$$$$....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• 5 years later...

Ours was the 1975 World Open. We plain sucked that night. Came in 5th maybe. Then came roaring back at CYO to beat everyone but Scouts. We made up about 5-6 points on everyone.  Think we were a point or so behind Scouts. That was the first show we seen Madison that year. Would have been very interesting at Philly if not for the DQ. Don Warrens obsession the whole year getting Chachos seen to that.  Set up from beginning of season.  Oh well. Memories

• Like 1

"Worst Show":

Probably the entire 1964  (This is going back "A Bit") season.  Our program was going on year 2+ and it was showing.  Our Parochial rival, (From where we had actually come) whacked us big time in a Spring standstill, and our two cross town rivals hammered us at the Penn Jersey Championship and seasons closer in CT.       :doh:

The corps underwent a top to bottom makeover music wise  (Hy Drietzer took over as writer/instructor) and 1965 was our best and most successfull season with wins over all the other "City" corps and a sixth place finish at the World Open.      :guinesssmilie:

Great memories..............😎

Elphaba      :flower: