Rumblings from CADETLAND

How do you deduce from my brief social commentary above in reply to another social commentary of what my " political philosophy" here is ? You might want to consider not taking out such a huge brush from your paint kit when you begin to paint so expansively and broadly, when a touch up paint brush might've done the trick around the small corners and edges just as well. I do not see my social commentary on " gun violence " to reveal anything of a political nature. If there is some relationship it would be incidental, and irrelevent to the comment made as the comment should stand or fall on its own merits, not someone's political leanings or beliefs in other, unrelated areas.

It is not the place for DCP for random comments on gun violence to stand or fall on their own merits. I have an opinion on your comments but I do not share them because in responding to them with other information I am going off topic and discussing politics. It is impossible to respond to your comments without doing so therefor they are political in nature.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Now, in general the use of wooden weapons is largely tolerated by schools all over the country. No up tight administrator has yet to call out marching bands. But I would think that the image of guns on the field has largely been Completly numbed by general society and you can argue whether that's good or bad. While the idea that no one actually feels threatened by rifles as used by colorguard is most likely true, it's a pretty common sense policy to avoid using it in today's gun sensitive society. It may only take 1 exploitive lawyer to go after it. And if anything, being concerned for the audience's perception of their product is something everyone on DCP wants more of. Not just from an entertainment stand point. It's looking at the audience as an entity that truly matters and ANYTHING that would jeperdize the long run monetary income rom fans should be taken into account. Though the concern of feeling threatened may be seen as some as silly, it's evidence of the viewpoint that designers do want to please fans and keep them happy and the money flowing IMO.

Take a slow, relaxing breath.... inhale, exhale... breath in, breath out. Cose your eyes. Imagine in your mind, puppy dogs, waterfalls in Polynesia, a finely textured Macanudo if so inclined, a bottle of fine Scotch... fresh air and sunshine....... now.....

Do this once a day, and by Monday this overconcern you have with what other people might think on small, wooden, imitation rifles in summer Drum Corps with color guards just might go away for you. You'll be just fine.... really.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Re-post and back on topic:

Thank you for relating what you took away from the webinar.

Are there sketches to be seen of the towers of power, or are they still "a work in progress?"

It is interesting to sift the reactions to the image of a drillstock and a swordblade as weapon or as object d'art?

Ironically, didn't WGI actually go as so far as to ban these non-weapon substitute thingeys for their competitive purposes? Since so many of the color guard judges do both circuits, it will be interesting to see whether this new staff of Cadet guard leaders will be able to surmount the WGI biases in DCI competition. BD did hula hoops without hassles. Then again, I can imagine during "second tour" post Atlanta, weapons also returning so that the guard gets to do both "Side X Side."

Regarding a non-aggressive ending, didn't Samuel Barber end his own life by taking it? Would Cadets have to get a license permission from Regiment for that???

• Like 1

Thank you for relating what you took away from the webinar.

Are there sketches to be seen of the towers of power, or are they still "a work in progress?"

It is interesting to sift the reactions to the image of a drillstock and a swordblade as weapon or as object d'art?

Ironically, didn't WGI actually go as so far as to ban these non-weapon substitute thingeys for their competitive purposes? Since so many of the color guard judges do both circuits, it will be interesting to see whether this new staff of Cadet guard leaders will be able to surmount the WGI biases in DCI competition. BD did hula hoops without hassles. Then again, I can imagine during "second tour" post Atlanta, weapons also returning so that the guard gets to do both "Side X Side."

Regarding a non-aggressive ending, didn't Samuel Barber end his own life by taking it? Would Cadets have to get a license permission from Regiment for that???

To clarify, Hop stated that the usual run-n-gun endings they typically end with will not be used this year (as of this point in time anyway... that could change). He noted that they often get criticized for those types of endings, but didn't use that as a reason as to why it wasn't planned. The impression I got was that the music will remain aggressive, but that the frenetic, fast paced drill would not be utilized.

Regarding a non-aggressive ending, didn't Samuel Barber end his own life by taking it?

All I've read is that he died of cancer at the age of 70. He suffered from depression and alcoholism in his later years.

Edited by LincolnV

Take a slow, relaxing breath.... inhale, exhale... breath in, breath out. Cose your eyes. Imagine in your mind, puppy dogs, waterfalls in Polynesia, a finely textured Macanudo if so inclined, a bottle of fine Scotch... fresh air and sunshine....... now.....

Do this once a day, and by Monday this overconcern you have with what other people might think on small, wooden, imitation rifles in summer Drum Corps with color guards just might go away for you. You'll be just fine.... really.

Brasso don't patronize me. Typical for you to Completly ignore dissenting arguments instead of discussing them. Did you even read what wrote on the subject of fake rifles? ...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Are there sketches to be seen of the towers of power,

Would I get a lot of red thingys if I said that I'd like to hear a bit more music from Tower of Power than see towers of power on the field ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

All I've read is that he died of cancer at the age of 70. He suffered from depression and alcoholism in his later years.

I remember in college there being a big disagreement between the campus chaplain and the music director whether Adagio for Strings was suitable for Good Friday liturgy because of the manner of Barber's death. Wikipedia agrees with you but goes on to say, "Barber spent many years in isolation after the harsh rejection of his third opera Antony and Cleopatra. He suffered from depression, and was also beset by alcoholism." Other things I have read says he was hospitalized for cancer but removed his 0xygen mask in desperation.

Several biographies all mention his tremendous enjoyment of Rocky Road ice cream. Guess what Cadets will be having after shows this season!!!

To clarify, Hop stated that the usual run-n-gun endings they typically end with will not be used this year (as of this point in time anyway... that could change). He noted that they often get criticized for those types of endings,

Hop says his Cadets " often gets criticized for their show endings ".

Who are, and where are, these critics of the Cadets show endings ?

I don't swim in the same waters as these alleged people. I've never met'em down by my end of the pool anyway.

• Like 1

Several biographies all mention his tremendous enjoyment of Rocky Road ice cream. Guess what Cadets will be having after shows this season!!!

At first I thought you were joking, but found an article stating that fact......and that he was an avid fan of "As The World Turns."