Rumblings from CADETLAND

At first I thought you were joking, but found an article stating that fact......and that he was an avid fan of "As The World Turns."

Believe me, Lincoln, I never joke about ice cream, especially on tour!!! Oh for that great contest in Ft. Edwards, NY with the ice cream parlor across the street before we left for the next show....

Hop says his Cadets " often gets criticized for their show endings ".

Who are, and where are, these critics of the Cadets show endings ?

I don't swim in the same waters as these alleged people. I've never met'em down by my end of the pool anyway.

I think it's more of a general statement that when they start runnin' and gunnin', people kinda' brush it off as "Oh, here they go again."

That's my takeaway at least.

I think it's more of a general statement that when they start runnin' and gunnin', people kinda' brush it off as "Oh, here they go again."

I'm ok with their endings..... gimme that ol time religion.

I am not ignorant brasso and I read in between the lines very well. Though in your original post you dance around the issue Now, in general the use of wooden weapons is largely tolerated by schools all over the country. No up tight administrator has yet to call out marching bands. But I would think that the image of guns on the field has largely been Completly numbed by general society and you can argue whether that's good or bad. While the idea that no one actually feels threatened by rifles as used by colorguard is most likely true, it's a pretty common sense policy to avoid using it in today's gun sensitive society. It may only take 1 exploitive lawyer to go after it. And if anything, being concerned for the audience's perception of their product is something everyone on DCP wants more of. Not just from an entertainment stand point. It's looking at the audience as an entity that truly matters and ANYTHING that would jeperdize the long run monetary income rom fans should be taken into account. Though the concern of feeling threatened may be seen as some as silly, it's evidence of the viewpoint that designers do want to please fans and keep them happy and the money flowing IMO.

I think the day is coming with schools, and sooner rather than later. When an elementary school kid gets suspended for pointing a pencil at another kid, I'm sure MB rifles are not far behind in being banned, at least at some schools.

• Like 1

But that's like saying, too much ice cream is a bad thing. Nevah!!!

(Sometimes I think that Hopkins just gets bored with traditions...)

• Like 1

Anything they do to avoid comparing themselves with themselves is a good thing. The run and gun trademark looses its impact if done all the time. Besides the cadets will likely get more credit for doing things that are not expected.

And for those that minused... Is it because you feel a run and gun ending is the ONLY effective ending for a cadet show and cadet innovation should stop once they reach the 10:45 mark of their show? Or are you against anything but a run and gun ending.

You don't realize judges use past years as subconcious references even though they are not supposed to.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I think the day is coming with schools, and sooner rather than later. When an elementary school kid gets suspended for pointing a pencil at another kid, I'm sure MB rifles are not far behind in being banned, at least at some schools.

I suppose such stupidity could take place in some schools somewhere if the local citizenry is so inclined to adopt such silly measures. But I wouldn't concern myself with what stupidity might occur somwhere in the US, when we have other more pressing needs to address in Drum Corps to keep it alive. Whether or not we use wooden imitation rifles in school's marching bands is not on most school's radar. Not when the real world of the schools is deciding whether or not to put REAL firearms in more of the nation's schools as an additional layer of children protection in the form of additional armed police, armed security personnel, armed Teachers, and armed Administrators. When the nation's schools are debating the possible implementation and increased presence of more REAL guns into the schools, believe me, the small wooden imitation rifles utilized in the school's marching band is far, far down the list of their concerns right now.... so I really wouldn't sweat these small, wooden, imitation toy rifles in the Guards in the school Marching Bands and in Drum Corps. Its really sort of silly if you ask me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

How do "towers of power" tie in with Barber? I think I'm missing something here.

(And FWIW, Hop used to complain that the Cadets were criticized for not doing "traditional" ballads for a few years. I have yet to meet one of those people. Not too worried about their non-run-and-gun ending yet.)

Mike

I suppose such stupidity could take place in some schools somewhere if the local citizenry is so inclined to adopt such silly measures. But I wouldn't concern myself with what stupidity might occur somwhere in the US, when we have other more pressing needs to address in Drum Corps to keep it alive. Whether we use wooden imitation rifles in school's marching bands is not on most school's radar. Not when the real world of the schools is deciding whether or not to put REAL guns in more of the nation's schools in the form of additional police, armmed security personnel, Teachers, and Administrators. When the nation's schools are debating this, believe me, the wooden imitation rifles in the marching band is FAR down the list of their concerns right now.... so I really wouldn't sweat these small, wooden, imitation rifles in the Guards.

You are failing to realize the discussion of a view point and the upholding of one. No one here is complaining about sabres or rifles used in drum corps. I or mike have not "sweated" anything. It is merely the discussion of forces outside of our control like over sensative administrators who take the pointing of a penicil at a student to intimidate the action of a gun very seriously... and merely the possibility, given the trend, that sabres and rifles could get swept up in the hysteria. I do not feel strongły either way and do not think replacing rifles with designed equipment is a loss for anyone no matter what the reason may be. The commentary is simply that because people are often times irrational in their enforcement of anti-violence measure (on both extremes) that its at no loss to the activity if a designer, for whatever reason, chooses to replace his equipment. I think in general it makes the product and entertainment stronger regardless if its a reaction to an improbable "threat" by their use. Is that clear? And that in all likely hood given the trend in design using equipment that reflects your theme more appropriately is favorable.

You seem to be getting worked up by someone's perception of colorguard equipment and it's perceived threat on the audience. But I'm saying that that really doesn't matter no matter how illogical the sentiment. After all you even said yourself you would not mind the change but only mind the reason for the change which is... Pointless if you like the end result of the change.

Edited by charlie1223