Rumblings from CADETLAND

It might be hard for some since George has had several "my bads" over the years. Possibly more so than all other Directors combined. Seems he's had issues, at times, retaining the folks behind the scenes. I may be off in my thoughts here, but the man seems to have a habit of stepping in it.

He's one of the principal architects of the G7 scheme to set up a permanent Slotting System within the World Class Division. His missteps are legendary in his relations with others outside of his Cadets Corps. We can't continue to make excuses for his behaviours, imo. But thats just my personal opinion and observation here too.

Edited by BRASSO

It'd be different if this wasn't his MO and didn't do this on a fairly consistent basis. He's constantly having to backtrack because of his mouth. He just needs to quit talking.

That may be true, but he probably won't change it. No amount of complaining about it will make him change. He steps in it quite often, but no one is perfect. His is just more public than most.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Interesting how the other corps threads are gushing over said corps and offering support but this thread is loaded with people (alumni, ex staff etc) ranting about horrible towers or GH. Very little about great brass (best in a decade), wonderful show or potentially winning percussion section this year. Go over to Crowns thread, and they been measuring the kids for their Gold metals since June. With the exception of a few, please go start another thread called, LES MIS, the real life miserables. Never saw so many Debbie and Davey Downers.

I'm don't post much anymore, but this may be the Post of the Year.

Oh the bandwagon is hot to jump on the Hopkins hate.

As someone who grew up hating Hopkins because of the hyperbole dispensed by those 'in the know' in many discussions such as this, I am not surprised to see this response in general.

I did surprise myself by my thoughts after reading the local news article about him.

I find his public posting on Facebook to be succinct, to the point, and with the BEST FOR HIS CORPS in mind, while not tearing down anything else. He admits hes a stickler for the best rehearsal zones for his corps, and I appreciate this.

As someone who has marched for a corps that shared as little as 2 shower heads and one dirt 3/4 field at a show site for total rehearsal space, I know what its like to be on 'both sides' of the top 12 with regards to quality of housing.

"BRAND NEW" the news article says about the housing site. My memories as a drum corps instructor about "BRAND NEW" schools is those are the locations that are the MOST strict with regards to facilities. There will be a 75% chance the gym floor was recently surfaced and not accessible, there will be a 50% chance the outdoor grass field was recently seeded / sodded and not accessible, and theres a 75% (industry standard) chance that the showers will be too few in number and very cold at a 'brand new' school since not everything is fully functioning yet.

Perhaps Mr. Hopkins (unlike other corps directors) is capable of assessing the situation and reaching out in his social network to rectify what would turn out to be a couple of bad days in the south. What if he was *gasp* actually able to improve 3 days of rehearsal conditions with that posting? In fact, he was. And things are fine. Aside from the whining Southerners who apparently think the phrase 'less than wonderful' means "#### your mama".

I have witnessed the steady decline in general quality of housing sites for top 12 groups (and lets not even talk about those groups not in the 'top 12') since 9/11. I have been on the scene, and even in meetings with school administrators who describe post 9/11 security requirements to be too high to allow an independent organization to stay at the school overnight leaving doors propped, etc like corps do.

What DCI has not done is whats important here. DCI -- if they are to schedule to tours and housing -- need to spend more resources on many things, but cultivating relationships with housing sites year over year apparently is high on the list since sir Hoppy was able to score such good housing in just two days with one heartfelt and truthful Facebook posting.

Everyone who is a hater of Hoppy certainly has valid reasons. But using this recent Facebook posting as an excuse to dump your truckload of hate onto him about other topics is not appropriate. This guy wentt to bat for his team. #### Mississippi if they can't take the truth.

Personally, as a Hoppy hater, I give this man a giant standing ovation for reaching the required ends for his kids.

As for the backlash in that local news story, let me quote Gov. Jerry Brown of California who recently discovered some objectionable press about hi state from Gov. Rick Perry in TX: "It's not a serious story, guys," Brown said, "It's not a burp. It's barely a fart." Thats how I feel about this thread and the news story and I hope Mr. Hop shares the same sentiment. Nobody read it and if anyone were to 'inspect' the living conditions of these corps on tour generally, methinks many of these teams would be shut down by the authorities.

So, thanks George Hopkins for improving your team's lot in life. It's not your fault others do not share your same level of expectation for your group. Keep on keepin' on.

Edited by Rance Costa
  • Like 7

And things are fine. Aside from the whining Southerners who apparently think the phrase 'less than wonderful' means "#### your mama".

Oh Man.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Oh the bandwagon is hot to jump on the Hopkins hate.

As someone who grew up hating Hopkins because of the hyperbole dispensed by those 'in the know' in many discussions such as this, I am not surprised to see this response in general.

I did surprise myself by my thoughts after reading the local news article about him.

I find his public posting on Facebook to be succinct, to the point, and with the BEST FOR HIS CORPS in mind, while not tearing down anything else. He admits hes a stickler for the best rehearsal zones for his corps, and I appreciate this.

As someone who has marched for a corps that shared as little as 2 shower heads and one dirt 3/4 field at a show site for total rehearsal space, I know what its like to be on 'both sides' of the top 12 with regards to quality of housing.

"BRAND NEW" the news article says about the housing site. My memories as a drum corps instructor about "BRAND NEW" schools is those are the locations that are the MOST strict with regards to facilities. There will be a 75% chance the gym floor was recently surfaced and not accessible, there will be a 50% chance the outdoor grass field was recently seeded / sodded and not accessible, and theres a 75% (industry standard) chance that the showers will be too few in number and very cold at a 'brand new' school since not everything is fully functioning yet.

Perhaps Mr. Hopkins (unlike other corps directors) is capable of assessing the situation and reaching out in his social network to rectify what would turn out to be a couple of bad days in the south. What if he was *gasp* actually able to improve 3 days of rehearsal conditions with that posting? In fact, he was. And things are fine. Aside from the whining Southerners who apparently think the phrase 'less than wonderful' means "#### your mama".

I have witnessed the steady decline in general quality of housing sites for top 12 groups (and lets not even talk about those groups not in the 'top 12') since 9/11. I have been on the scene, and even in meetings with school administrators who describe post 9/11 security requirements to be too high to allow an independent organization to stay at the school overnight leaving doors propped, etc like corps do.

What DCI has not done is whats important here. DCI -- if they are to schedule to tours and housing -- need to spend more resources on many things, but cultivating relationships with housing sites year over year apparently is high on the list since sir Hoppy was able to score such good housing in just two days with one heartfelt and truthful Facebook posting.

Everyone who is a hater of Hoppy certainly has valid reasons. But using this recent Facebook posting as an excuse to dump your truckload of hate onto him about other topics is not appropriate. This guy wentt to bat for his team. #### Mississippi if they can't take the truth.

Personally, as a Hoppy hater, I give this man a giant standing ovation for reaching the required ends for his kids.

As for the backlash in that local news story, let me quote Gov. Jerry Brown of California who recently discovered some objectionable press about hi state from Gov. Rick Perry in TX: "It's not a serious story, guys," Brown said, "It's not a burp. It's barely a fart." Thats how I feel about this thread and the news story and I hope Mr. Hop shares the same sentiment. Nobody read it and if anyone were to 'inspect' the living conditions of these corps on tour generally, methinks many of these teams would be shut down by the authorities.

So, thanks George Hopkins for improving your team's lot in life. It's not your fault others do not share your same level of expectation for your group. Keep on keepin' on.

EXCELLENT post. :worthy:

• Like 1

I'm from the south (Birmingham, AL), some schools are super nice, some the size of a small university, in poor counties many are in need of repair, but what he said didn't offend me...I mean if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck...if it's true, speak the truth. Now, with social media if one decides to do that, they should expect a backlash over it. Everyone one us has said things out of frustration and upon reflection realize we could have said it differently. Water under the bridge...let it go.

• Like 1

I never stated that he criticised his " hosts " ( people ) in Mississippi this week, George Dixon.

sorry - I guess I misread this?

Thats why its ironic for an older George Hopkins to now be so publically critical of the hosts in the state of Mississippi

• Like 1

SNIP

I guess I'm sorta slow but I read "Brand New" & "opened last August" in the article.

So, maybe it's all about not getting the stadium to practice in since the article also stated that they ( kids at the school ) were marking 2 fields for the Cadets.

He's one of the principal architects of the G7 scheme to set up a permanent Slotting System within the World Class Division. His missteps are legendary in his relations with others outside of his Cadets Corps. We can't continue to make excuses for his behaviours, imo. But thats just my personal opinion and observation here too.

Interesting you rarely post in the Cadets thread unless it is a gripe. Now I understand it stems back to the G7 thing which six other corps were involved in. Not healthy to hold grudges...

Edited by newjerseycorpguy