What should DCI do...

Was digging around looking at businesses for sale and am wondering: How is it reasonable to expect a business worth $500m return $500m net to DCI year two?

Isn't that quite...umm...unrealistic?

Even if you find PPP funds to double the investment, it doesn't seem realistic to what I'm seeing out there available for purchase.

"Municipal bonds, Ted... best investment in America!!!"

($1 to Airplane)

There is a lot of money in non-drum corps event management, too. DCI already manages some giant-in-scope events. Why not spin those skills up into something that makes money?

Just some ideas...

What sort of infrastructure costs would DCI have to spin this up? From their existing staff and structure, what do they need to do this effectively, and what sort of percentage profit potential is available?

Is it reasonable to think DCI could manage a pop music tour for one of the Hollywood idiots (umm, I mean talent)?

It seems to me that exposure funds would be the highest just to let that market know that DCI is in the business. Any idea of what marketing that service might cost in a year's time?

What sort of infrastructure costs would DCI have to spin this up? From their existing staff and structure, what do they need to do this effectively, and what sort of percentage profit potential is available?

Is it reasonable to think DCI could manage a pop music tour for one of the Hollywood idiots (umm, I mean talent)?

It seems to me that exposure funds would be the highest just to let that market know that DCI is in the business. Any idea of what marketing that service might cost in a year's time?

Literally no idea. Just spitballing. My only point is that if I were going to use one company's resources to start another "arm's-length" business, I'd first look at "What are we good at?" and then work from there.

Maybe it could be private event planning? There is serious cash in that. Other hospitality-related businesses? Volunteer management? Who knows...

- Give each corps $500 for each recruit who's cut from the second round of tryouts but who then marches with another corps down the placement line. Incent the "full" corps to get auditionees to march at another corps instead of going home.

Isn't that just more money for the BD organization?

• Like 2

Isn't that just more money for the BD organization?

The point is to fill up all the corps. It's really a good argument for keeping the current max of 150 MM's. But even if they go to 200 (please, God, no), the full corps are turning away tons of talent that can be used by the smaller corps. The point is to stop them from thinking "if I can't march my favorite I'm going home". They have to come to understand that the experience is mostly the same from BD to Academy, or BDB.

• Like 1

I would also restrict payment to those marchers who try out for non-related lower-placing corps.

But now we're starting to make all these rules that complicate the idea. Yes, the BD organization is probably fine without this "extra" money, but what about the Colts?

• Like 1

Was digging around looking at businesses for sale and am wondering: How is it reasonable to expect a business worth $500m return $500m net to DCI year two?

Isn't that quite...umm...unrealistic?

Even if you find PPP funds to double the investment, it doesn't seem realistic to what I'm seeing out there available for purchase.

Well... we created a new little business with less investment that is throwing off more cash than that in less than a year. It can be done.

The point is to fill up all the corps. It's really a good argument for keeping the current max of 150 MM's. But even if they go to 200 (please, God, no), the full corps are turning away tons of talent that can be used by the smaller corps. The point is to stop them from thinking "if I can't march my favorite I'm going home". They have to come to understand that the experience is mostly the same from BD to Academy, or BDB.

The reality of it is that the experience may be similar, but is not the same. Kids often want to march only a specific place because of the brand. Kids are very brand conscious. You're not going to change their mind.

It also really isn't about placement, but attitude.... stye... and how this reflects on the individual brand of the organization.

Anyway, neither penalizing the corps nor rewarding them for recruiting tactics is going to change the situation. Kids want to go where they want to go. It really is hard for some corps to recruit enough to fill a full corps. The only thing many of these corps could do to improve their current situation would be to charge less for tour, but in doing so, they would threaten their own stability.

Only way forward is slow and steady, sustainable progress and the development of an identity and brand that attracts kids regardless of placement.