I & E is back.

Really? Where are all these other venues for DCI members to compete mano-a-mano with other DCI members? True, there are BHOF individual and ensemble competitions held over winter and spring, but it would seem that championship week would be the very best opportunity for the MEMBERS, not just the corps, to see how they rate when up against their peers.

JMHO

Ray

In any given state there are a plethora of solo & ensemble contests sponsored by various music organizations. Knowing how several staffers feel about the activity, drum corps is all about, well, the DRUM CORPS. I&E is fun, for sure, but when it comes down to a few precious tenths of a point separating placement sometimes, I can totally understand why some groups don't want to give up rehearsal time on their last full rehearsal day of the season before Prelims.

• Like 3

If you don't like it don't participate! I have been watching I&E since before dci. It has been around for a very long time.

• Like 1

I guess I never got the point.

Just kind of a **** measuring contest between corps, who can win the most individual awards?

I wasn't going to miss it at all.

Sorry about your *****

• Like 3

I would love to see "Stubernic" win I&E percussion ensemble.

This is really an incredible showcase piece, perfect for a drum corps adaptation, or by itself.

I guess I never got the point.

Just kind of a **** measuring contest between corps, who can win the most individual awards?

I wasn't going to miss it at all.

I agree; I liked it when I was younger, in HS. But now it doesn't interest me.

I guess with lagging attendance and lagging participation, and the reluctance of staff to buy into I&E and release members to participate, you and I are not alone in our opinion

I would love to see "Stubernic" win I&E percussion ensemble.

This is really an incredible showcase piece, perfect for a drum corps adaptation, or by itself.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. There is a KILLER wind ensemble version (called Stubernic Fantasy), written by Ford, who premiered it in Chicago last December that blew me away! It takes the best of Stubernic & Afta Stuba (the 'sequel'), adds some killer wind parts, keeps the 3 marimba soloists, and is a blast to watch!

There are many who lament the existence of I&E. They say that the activity is about the corps and not the individual, and that there are plenty of venues/opportunities for soloists. To them I say "Poppycock". Rudimentally speaking there is better place (aside from PASIC, which has become an even bigger joke the DCI I&E) to measure yourself against others from around the nation. Granted there are numerous solo and ensemble competitions, but the talent pool you are competing against is not as deep. I wish more corps would encourage their members to participate. It is a great test of your ability to perform as an individual. A lot of kids might not like being under such scrutiny, but there are those that are up for the challenge. Doing a solo requires just as much dedication and a good bit more courage than just being one of 150.

• Like 1

There are many who lament the existence of I&E. They say that the activity is about the corps and not the individual, and that there are plenty of venues/opportunities for soloists. To them I say "Poppycock". Rudimentally speaking there is better place (aside from PASIC, which has become an even bigger joke the DCI I&E) to measure yourself against others from around the nation. Granted there are numerous solo and ensemble competitions, but the talent pool you are competing against is not as deep. I wish more corps would encourage their members to participate. It is a great test of your ability to perform as an individual. A lot of kids might not like being under such scrutiny, but there are those that are up for the challenge. Doing a solo requires just as much dedication and a good bit more courage than just being one of 150.

This is true, and is something modern performers need to know how to do. However, I don't think it has a place in the DCI context.

I seem to recall reading the final I&E competition scores a few years back. What struck me then was how few competitors there were in so many categories. Just two or three in many cases. It hardly seemed like a competition at all in those cases.

Maybe to give it some meaning, I&E should pit all brass, percussion and guard soloists against each other. Ditto for ensembles. And then give a grand champion trophy.

As it stands, it feels too much like everyone (almost) gets a trophy.

HH

• Like 1