Westshore Question?

Kinda like Grace Pander from Death Race 2000 Calling everyone a "Dear friend of mine". :cool:/>

From the TCM official website, so this isn't breaking any DCP rules.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/191337/Death-Race-2000-Movie-Clip-Meet-Frankenstein.html

Even got Herman the German in the clip, who ended up as Gofer on the Love Boat and a US Congressman. :satisfied:/>

George Hayek is now kinda what Harvey was. By all accounts Harvey was a good guy who stayed out of the BS and the nasty stuff and just wanted to hang out with friends and keep young in doing so.

Great movie, haven't seen it in years! :thumbup:

Harvey was just an old school guy, that got "celebrated"...A lot of people tend to think Hurcs won 1981 because of him )(when we all know that Sun should have won :devil:) (don't tell any of my Buc's friends that...got nailed with that one once before :shutup: )

But you would have loved that Mr. Scully, W! He was definitely a trip!

George Hayek is now kinda what Harvey was. By all accounts Harvey was a good guy who stayed out of the BS and the nasty stuff and just wanted to hang out with friends and keep young in doing so.

Totally agree on Harvey. A good man.

So is my friend George.

The icon of icons, IMO. Now in his 67th year with the Caballeros' organization. :thumbup:

He and Jim Costello were among a group of guys.... young men returning from World War II service... who founded the corps in 1946.

• Like 1

I talked to enough of those people- Windy included about a lot of this.

To have a Senior corps back then, you needed Veterans for membership. Later on loosened, but you did have a lot of people who did serve or were gonna be drafted, so there was a steady supply of peeps at the VFW and Legion Posts.

Saw something tough thursday speaking of the WW2 vets peeps. head on crash in front of my House, no one hurt, WW2 Vet, USS Cavalier. Saipan, Luzon, Tinian, ended up torpedoed and still survived that, the guy "closed his eyes", either fell asleep/blacked out, went into the wrong lane and clouted a poor dude going to work that had just paid off the minivan he was driving.

Felt bad for both guys. I hope they can help the guy so he can keep driving- I'd really hate to see him lose his driving privileges, real tough thing in our society to have to happen.

One thing I will get back to on this thread was how Frank Dorritie used the whole bad blood issue as a teachable moment and pretty much fixed things, which was the good and right thing to do. I think he might have been the only guy who could have fixed it, but again, I think a lot of us learned mucho from him that day.

I talked to enough of those people- Windy included about a lot of this.

To have a Senior corps back then, you needed Veterans for membership. Later on loosened, but you did have a lot of people who did serve or were gonna be drafted, so there was a steady supply of peeps at the VFW and Legion Posts.

Saw something tough thursday speaking of the WW2 vets peeps. head on crash in front of my House, no one hurt, WW2 Vet, USS Cavalier. Saipan, Luzon, Tinian, ended up torpedoed and still survived that, the guy "closed his eyes", either fell asleep/blacked out, went into the wrong lane and clouted a poor dude going to work that had just paid off the minivan he was driving.

Felt bad for both guys. I hope they can help the guy so he can keep driving- I'd really hate to see him lose his driving privileges, real tough thing in our society to have to happen.

One thing I will get back to on this thread was how Frank Dorritie used the whole bad blood issue as a teachable moment and pretty much fixed things, which was the good and right thing to do. I think he might have been the only guy who could have fixed it, but again, I think a lot of us learned mucho from him that day.

I don't recall that one? Or was it something he talked to the horns about, only?

It happened at Reading at the championship weekend preview exhibition that used to take place before Prelims. I think everyone knew by the time we went on to perform Pepe was going to watch our show with Frank on the 50 at field level. :satisfied:

More on that later.

Don't recall that, but looking forward to hearing it....

I remember at Meadowlands in 83, I think, could have been 82...I was getting on one of the freight elevators and when the door opened it was Pepe and a few other guys from Hurcs...he was actually pretty nice, and had some nice things to say about us...wished us luck and all that.

Don't recall that, but looking forward to hearing it....

I remember at Meadowlands in 83, I think, could have been 82...I was getting on one of the freight elevators and when the door opened it was Pepe and a few other guys from Hurcs...he was actually pretty nice, and had some nice things to say about us...wished us luck and all that.

Heh.. not related to drum corps, but a semi-bizarre "Meadowlands freight elevator" story...

I was working for a couple of NJ/NY radio stations , circa 1986-87 or so, and was at Giants Stadium covering the day-long celebration of the Giants' first Super Bowl win.

There were tens of thousands of people there... fans, celebrities, politicians, you name it. At one point I had to get from the stadium floor, or the first level, I forget which... to the press box level... the main elevators were jam-packed, with waiting lines... so I headed to the freight elevator. Having used that elevator during the drum corps shows there, I knew where they were... LOL.

So... I got on... I was the only person on the elevator. It stopped at the next floor... and Sen. Bill Bradley and Joe Piscopo walked on. :blink: Kind of a weird combination of folks. :tongue:

Just them... no entourage, press secretary, no one else... just those two guys. Now... I had interviewed the senator before and knew his main press person pretty well, but had never met Joe Piscopo.

So... of course, I fired up the tape recorder and got a nice interview with both of them! The elevator didn't stop again... no one else on or off... until all three of us got off at the press level. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

LOL... the freight elevator also came in quite handy at the Meadowlands DCA show in 1982.

We were on early in that show... might have been first... so we got done and my buddy Milt Fitzgerald and I headed up to watch the rest of the corps.

And of course... some hot dogs and those quart-sized Bigger Beers that were sold there. :tongue:

Well... after a long, hot day, the brews, shall we say, took their toll. :w00t:

The last corps finished up... we finished up the beers... and we started heading down to the stadium floor. We knew we were running late, so we hustled to the giant escalator that went from basically the mezzanine all the way down to the stadium floor.

Except the escalator was shut off. :lol:

It's tough enough to walk down a big, non-operating escalator sober, yet alone after a few beverages. So this was not going to happen. LOL

We stared at the thing for a minute or two... "WTF!!!"... figuring out a Plan B... then we headed to the freight elevator. :tongue:

Got to the stadium floor just in time to run out to the tunnel and join the corps as everyone was heading to the field for retreat!!!

I asked dad, and he didn't remember any show between New Orleans and DCA. He said everyone was too hung over

I asked dad, and he didn't remember any show between New Orleans and DCA. He said everyone was too hung over

Maybe he was really hung over... since I swear to God they were at the Bridgeport show the weekend before championships!!! :tongue:

Saw their buses at that show with an "American Legion Champions" banner on it.

Barbara remembered being at that show... said she and others were wondering why they were there, only a few days after the New Orleans voyage. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring