Fan Network 2013

They have to make money somehow and Finals is a good thing to hold out on. I don't pay to view finals or the DVDs simply because I don't have the money but I do get the live every year and I always find that by the end of the year I really got every penny I paid for out of it.

They do that now with the DVD/Blu-ray combo package: you can live-stream Finals shows the day after Finals.

Yeah, but you have to pay $159/$179 for that. I'm talking about a separate package priced at say $50 that would only include finals that Sunday. You could also add that to the standard Live package ($69) to create a package of Live+Sunday Finals priced at $105 or so. You'd get an extra $35-40 from many of those who currently just get Live, and you probably wouldn't lose too many $159/$179 package people.

As an overall strategy, DCI has erected an incredibly tightly policed walled ecosystem for seemingly no reason. It just feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me - "well, we have only 4k subscribers so we don't have to invest that much creativity into it," which begets, well, only 4k subscribers.

Mike

• Like 2

I think there are quite a few things that people aren't thinking about when it comes to live-streaming finals online. Keep in mind that they already live-stream quarterfinals (I think, don't shoot me) at certain movie theaters around the nation (albeit, it's no where near the quality/volume that we would like), but for all we know, there could be a contractual stipulation with Fathom Events detailing the proprietary agency for live streaming any finals events. If this stipulation exists, they would probably be forced to wait until the expiration of the contract to negotiate a new one, et cetera, which could also explain another reason we aren't going to see any finals action on television any time in the immediate future. If it doesn't exist, I don't see why they couldn't charge live-streaming (from home) viewers the same (if not more) than they're making profit from the showings in theaters. BUT when you give people the option to spend $20 to sit at home, live stream, and order pizza rather than actually GOING to finals, I'm sure there is quite a bit of uncertainty from upper-echelon individuals in the organization as to whether or not they're going to be able to sell enough seats to create a worthwhile profit. Perhaps the worst part of it all is that the organization may not have the ways and means to research all of this (it can be done, for a price) to formulate a cohesive, mutually beneficial decision.

The quarters live stream, at least last year, was all the corps up until the ones on the theater broadcast were live streamed on FN. Semis are live streamed currently on FN. The Finals score announcements are live streamed on FN, so I think the only exclusivity for Fathom Events would be the portion of quarters that is being shown in the theaters (IIRC, it was the top 15 corps last year).

They have to make money somehow and Finals is a good thing to hold out on. I don't pay to view finals or the DVDs simply because I don't have the money but I do get the live every year and I always find that by the end of the year I really got every penny I paid for out of it.

they are LOSING money not showing finals. many people are not attending for whatever reason.....and DCI would MAKE money from these folks they are getting NOTHING from now.

• Like 2

they are LOSING money not showing finals. many people are not attending for whatever reason.....and DCI would MAKE money from these folks they are getting NOTHING from now.

Yep, this isn't an event that is blacked out because demand is so high it's got an exclusive timeslot on ESPN or NBC Sports.

It's blacked out so people don't decide to sit at home instead. Ridiculous they're that afraid lifelong fans will stay home. Drum corps people know live is always preferable.

• Like 2

Yep, this isn't an event that is blacked out because demand is so high it's got an exclusive timeslot on ESPN or NBC Sports.

It's blacked out so people don't decide to sit at home instead. Ridiculous they're that afraid lifelong fans will stay home. Drum corps people know live is always preferable.

On the flip side, we have no idea what data came from the survey they sent out. For all we know, DCI analyzed the data, the data said not enough people would pay for the live stream to make it worth DCI's while (or not enough would pay to make up for perceived lost revenue of people live streaming vs attending Finals), so they decided to scrap the idea.

On the flip side, we have no idea what data came from the survey they sent out. For all we know, DCI analyzed the data, the data said not enough people would pay for the live stream to make it worth DCI's while (or not enough would pay to make up for perceived lost revenue of people live streaming vs attending Finals), so they decided to scrap the idea.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. We are the blind, DCI is the one-eyed man.

The bad news is: the data is almost certainly nearly useless.

The worse news is: we don't even have that; DCI does.

For some reason I've never cared that much about live streaming finals. Whatever happens happens. I've got semis anyway. I know that's crazy, but anyway it will be a little bonus when they post 2012 finals, (which by the way they haven't done yet.)

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. We are the blind, DCI is the one-eyed man.

The bad news is: the data is almost certainly nearly useless.

The worse news is: we don't even have that; DCI does.

For some reason I've never cared that much about live streaming finals. Whatever happens happens. I've got semis anyway. I know that's crazy, but anyway it will be a little bonus when they post 2012 finals, (which by the way they haven't done yet.)

The 2012 Finals were available for FREE for a few days over the weekend ... just 3 days ago ...

The 2012 Finals were available for FREE for a few days over the weekend ... just 3 days ago ...

Yes, I saw it. It was great. It's interesting to compare semis to finals a year later.