Fan Network 2013

Somewhere, I have a recording of the live ( *sigh*) satellite feed of 92 Finals with tons of pre-show and in-between banter between Rondinaro and Curt Gowdy. (It's been 15 years since I watched it, so I don't really remember any specifics-- just that Goudy was pretty funny.)

Curt Gowdy was clearly not in his comfort zone knowledge element when he hosted DCI Finals one year with Steve Rondinaro, as he made some on air mistakes that made some of us blanch. But I'll say this about Curt Gowdy: He was a big champion of the Drum Corps movement and loved the activity. The guy is in the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame, and some people may not know that in his youth, at the Univ. of Wyoming, he was an outstanding Guard in Basketball reaching College All American status. His 1st introduction to Drum Corps was with the Troopers, from Caspar, Wyoming. Later on in his broadcasting career, ( after doing the play by play of many sports events on TV )he became the broadcasting voice of the Boston Red Sox for several years. In this capacity he became quite familiar with the Boston Crusaders and other Boston area Corps in the region and publicly marveled at what Drum Corps do. So when DCI contacted this Broadcasting HOF Legend to ask him if he'd agree to co host the DCI Finals, he said he'd be happy to do so. Curt Gowdy was an outstanding TV Broadcaster, one of the best ever. A real Pro at his craft. And a classy, intelligent, cultured Gentlemen. We fans should be honored that he was in our corner when he was alive.

Edited by BRASSO

For those of you that insist on buying physical media, more power to you. But why is DCI forcing me to buy it if I don't want it? I *do not* want the physical media. I *do* want access to the finals VODs.

Why does DCI not understand that?

They fully understand it. However, the business model of no-physical won't support a 12-camera HD truck shoot. You may not like it, but it's done to make sure that they sell enough to cover production costs.

If it's such a pain in the arse, you can always sell your unopened copy on ebay for a decent subsidy, and consider the difference the "cost" of getting finals VOD.

I think what's funny is the concept that people assume that this stuff isn't considered. If anything, it was considered way too much. Not wanting physical media, in this genre, still puts you in a minority for video. As soon as you become the majority, your buying power will end up pushing the business model.

I know everyone thinks that's all evil and cruel, but it's just a business decision. I always hoped that TFN could be a free, ad-supported system, but the ad dollars just aren't there. I'm sure they wish they could give you an option because your money is as green as anyone's, but they still have to make sure they get the *most* money even if that annoys people. Such is business; no one is trying to annoy you.

: It's not personal. It's business.

: Very well. You want to do business with me. I will do business with you.

• Like 4

Curt Gowdy was clearly not in his comfort zone knowledge element when he hosted DCI Finals one year with Steve Rondinaro, as he made some on air mistakes that made some of us blanch. But I'll say this about Curt Gowdy: He was a big champion of the Drum Corps movement and loved the activity. The guy is in the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame, and some people may not know that in his youth, at the Univ. of Wyoming, he was an outstanding Guard in Basketball reaching College All American status. His 1st introduction to Drum Corps was with the Troopers, from Caspar, Wyoming. Later on in his broadcasting career, ( after doing the play by play of many sports events on TV )he became the broadcasting voice of the Boston Red Sox for several years. In this capacity he became quite familiar with the Boston Crusaders and other Boston area Corps in the region and publicly marveled at what Drum Corps do. So when DCI contacted this Broadcasting HOF Legend to ask him if he'd agree to co host the DCI Finals, he said he'd be happy to do so. Curt Gowdy was an outstanding TV Broadcaster, one of the best ever. A real Pro at his craft. And a classy, intelligent, cultured Gentlemen. We fans should be honored that he was in our corner when he was alive.

I agree. As much as some of us made fun of his goofs, DCI was fortunate to have him for the time they did. It was those live broadcasts on PBS that originally piqued my interest enough to finally go to the Lake Highlands show in Dallas. But, alas, the world has moved on... (Oh-- and :doh:/>/> to me for spelling his name wrong.)

Edited by year1buick

They fully understand it. However, the business model of no-physical won't support a 12-camera HD truck shoot. You may not like it, but it's done to make sure that they sell enough to cover production costs.

If it's such a pain in the arse, you can always sell your unopened copy on ebay for a decent subsidy, and consider the difference the "cost" of getting finals VOD.

I think what's funny is the concept that people assume that this stuff isn't considered. If anything, it was considered way too much. Not wanting physical media, in this genre, still puts you in a minority for video. As soon as you become the majority, your buying power will end up pushing the business model.

I know everyone thinks that's all evil and cruel, but it's just a business decision. I always hoped that TFN could be a free, ad-supported system, but the ad dollars just aren't there. I'm sure they wish they could give you an option because your money is as green as anyone's, but they still have to make sure they get the *most* money even if that annoys people. Such is business; no one is trying to annoy you.

add in viewing finals LIVE and I'd consider it

Somewhere, I have a recording of the live ( *sigh*) satellite feed of 92 Finals with tons of pre-show and in-between banter between Rondinaro and Curt Gowdy. (It's been 15 years since I watched it, so I don't really remember any specifics-- just that Goudy was pretty funny.)

I still have that somewhere too! I think there's a point where he called Star "Kansas City Star" (the name of a newspaper). I think in 1993 after Star's performance he says something like, "Steve, I'll let you explain this one."

Funny times

Edited by perc2100

Thanks for the comments; I agree that it's amusing when people say things on here assuming DCI had never thought about (like what you mention).

I'd love to hear specifics someday as to why DCI continually goes against the WGI & BOA norm of live-streaming Finals...

Thanks for the comments; I agree that it's amusing when people say things on here assuming DCI had never thought about (like what you mention).

I'd love to hear specifics someday as to why DCI continually goes against the WGI & BOA norm of live-streaming Finals...

especially after the survey sent this winter. Maybe enough people said they wouldn't pay extra. But, odds are, many of those people aren't paying to go to Indy either.

Love to know the break down on subscriptions vs one time buys

No - if you do not want the physical media, simply enter my mailing address instead of yours when you fill in the account information. lookaround.gif

Joke of the week, mate. tongue.gif

I don't think the cost of creating and shipping the media is a significant part of the Blu-Ray/DVD cost, so what's the beef? The cost is for the license to view the content. The media is a bonus, and presumably it isn't cost effective to create an option just to charge $5 or $10 less to exclude the media. Not worth the headaches of support calls from those who click the wrong button.

I think there are quite a few things that people aren't thinking about when it comes to live-streaming finals online. Keep in mind that they already live-stream quarterfinals (I think, don't shoot me) at certain movie theaters around the nation (albeit, it's no where near the quality/volume that we would like), but for all we know, there could be a contractual stipulation with Fathom Events detailing the proprietary agency for live streaming any finals events. If this stipulation exists, they would probably be forced to wait until the expiration of the contract to negotiate a new one, et cetera, which could also explain another reason we aren't going to see any finals action on television any time in the immediate future. If it doesn't exist, I don't see why they couldn't charge live-streaming (from home) viewers the same (if not more) than they're making profit from the showings in theaters. BUT when you give people the option to spend $20 to sit at home, live stream, and order pizza rather than actually GOING to finals, I'm sure there is quite a bit of uncertainty from upper-echelon individuals in the organization as to whether or not they're going to be able to sell enough seats to create a worthwhile profit. Perhaps the worst part of it all is that the organization may not have the ways and means to research all of this (it can be done, for a price) to formulate a cohesive, mutually beneficial decision.

• Like 1