Fan Network 2013

Looking to try out a PPV broadcast for the first time this weekend for San Antonio. Are these normally HD/HQ streams? I'd like to hook it up to my TV if I can.

Mike

There's generally a standard feed and a "high quality" feed. Definitely not 1080p or anything, but much closer to 720p or so than the standard quality. Video-wise, it's better than the DVDs pre-Bluray, put it that way. Audio-wise, not so much, but it's usually decent. The real question mark is mike placement relative to the sideline and to the PAs. Close to the sideline you get lots of brass standouts when a particular horn player is pointed right at the mike. Close to the PAs you get oversynthed, but that varies widely from corps to corps depending on where they put their speakers and how many they have (Bluecoats and Cadets at least use more than just two banks of speakers). If the mikes are nearer the press box you usually get a more proper mix of sound. It all depends on the venue, staff, prep-time, and logistics.

APD's are now out for The Southwestern Championships. APD's are not available due to music licensing for the following: Genesis, Madison, Blue Stars, Crossmen, Colts, OC, Surf, Pioneer.

APD's are now out for The Southwestern Championships. APD's are not available due to music licensing for the following: Genesis, Madison, Blue Stars, Crossmen, Colts, OC, Surf, Pioneer.

Yikes. So 1/3 of the corps?

Mike

There were a couple APDs like this for Denver as well, after a day or two they were available.

What a coincidence - these are all the corps whose first APD would be San Antonio.

They say the shows are in the bundle though...who knows? :rolleyes:

Just purchased the bundle, got all of them, and I have to say - KEN MASON YOU ROCK!! These sound great. Ken has recorded this set as well as the Denver recordings, and both bundles sound awesome. Thanks Ken!!!!

shure sells a wind sock for about $35.00, I use 4 of them on 4 shure sm94 mic's, I run them thru a Mackie mixer, then into my recording device. never had a problem in 1o years, cost mic/windsock 300.00 each

How expensive are windscreens for mics? How hard (expensive) would it be for DCI to ensure that all outdoor shows use them? Could DCI invest in a few high quality windscreens (and perhaps mics and stands) and send them along with their masters of ceremonies (whatever they're called) to the shows. Given that there's pretty much two tours at a given time, maybe three, providing the contractor with mic equipment that is selected and optimized for drum corps shows might help maintain standards.

What the contractor chooses to use for sound boards, etc, is up to them. But why make each one figure out how to mic an unusual event like ours? Just spitballin' here.