Hockey and Drum Corps

I remember reading articles in Drum Corps News (and maybe DCW later) that Cavaliers and Madison played each other in hockey during the winter. Were there other corps that did that as well? A drum corps league? With all the corps between Illinois and Wisconsin, there must have been a few. Kilties? Marquis? Blue Star?

In my Garfield days, we played football every now and then against the Hawthorne Muchachos after the season ended.

The saddest thing about that is that our great DM Richie Chirachella broke his leg at one of the games after the 71 season. He was healing nicely for a few weeks, until he had a blood clot develop which went to his heart, and he died instantly. One of the saddest ezperiences I ever went through.

Perhaps the Cadets have had the only certified Zamboni driver in their former horn sgt. Joe Lewis who earned his tour dues by driving the Zamboni at the Washington Capitals practice faciltity.

Now he skates as a Flying Mondale, the graduate Law School team at the University of Minnesota. moves as fast on ice as he did in some of those Sacktig drills.

Perhaps the Cadets have had the only certified Zamboni driver in their former horn sgt. Joe Lewis who earned his tour dues by driving the Zamboni at the Washington Capitals practice faciltity.

Now he skates as a Flying Mondale, the graduate Law School team at the University of Minnesota. moves as fast on ice as he did in some of those Sacktig drills.

:ph34r:

Now that's FUNNY. Flying Mondales...Fritz never played hockey ( at least in the time I've known him)..but another one of those U of M Law guys did - former governor and Senator Wendell Anderson..although the name "Flying Wendy's" might NOT have been as intimidating.. although Wendy spent more time on US National and Olympic teams than even Herb Brooks..Now that there 2 rinks at the U of M - I wonder which one they skate on..

Pat

lindap, please repost the writeup of the Ontario drumcorps GIRLS hockey game. It is a true journalistic gem.

I remember reading articles in Drum Corps News (and maybe DCW later) that Cavaliers and Madison played each other in hockey during the winter. Were there other corps that did that as well? A drum corps league? With all the corps between Illinois and Wisconsin, there must have been a few. Kilties? Marquis? Blue Star?

Yes.

DCI Corps had a Ice Hockey Tournament among some East Coast Corps and Midwest Corps around 1975- 76.

27th Lancers ( Mass. ) won the Corps Ice Hockey Tournament, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, for about a decade or so, in the 80's, 90's, Massachusetts had a Labor Day Weekend Softball Round Robin Tournament among the Massachusetts Corps Alums from North Star, Boston, 27th, St. Kevin's, Majestic Knights, Alliance, Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, St. Mary's Cardinals, East Coast Jazz, Spartans ( N.H. ), and several other Massachusetts Corps represented. It was good fun, ( pretty good softball played too), and good BBQ'ing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

lindap, please repost the writeup of the Ontario drumcorps GIRLS hockey game. It is a true journalistic gem.

Thank you for the kind words. It was a well written account by an unknown author of a fun time in our youth. My small collection of our drum corps newsletters are endearing to me. The Great Contention can be found in Everything but some old corps photos, page 40 (if you have 10 per web page) post #391, #392 and #393

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/132382-everything-but-some-old-drum-corps-photos/page__view__findpost__p__2988550

It’s been a little over 2 years since I posted this to respect those I marched with. Time flew by. Hugs to the ladies; thanks for the memories.

• Like 1