Hockey and Drum Corps

Of ccurse there have been a lot of drum corps appearences on the ice at hockey games;

27th Lancers at Lake Placid Olympics

Medford Grenadiers at the Long Island Ducks games at the Commack Arena

loads of Pennsy corps at Hershey Bears games

and even the Phantom Regiment at the Rockford minor league team games within the last five years.

But this all seems less frequent today, like drum corps from Canada in DCI. So sad.

One year we made an appearance at a Pittsburgh Penguins game (for a nominal fee) - we provided musical entertainment from the nosebleed section at various stoppage points (coordinated with the rink organist). I think it was '77 b/c whenever there was a fight we would play the "angry/conflict" part of our opener (Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin"...

As Rodney Dangerfield said, I went to a boxing match....a hockey game broke out.

loads of Pennsy corps at Hershey Bears games

OK gotta ask... who and when?

Did the old Arena twice but no hockey at the time:

early 70s with HS band at 76ers game (year they set a record for most losts in a season).

mid 2000s - corps played at opening ceremonies for State YMCA games. Acoustics from Hell with corps on the walkway and cement floor with no ice.

As Rodney Dangerfield said, I went to a boxing match....a hockey game broke out.

Thats so cool too. You get to see 2 sports for the price of one. Can't beat it.

( pssst... and by the way, the saying is " I went to a hockey game, and a boxing match broke out." They don't have ice in the boxing rings that I'm familiar with, anyway. )

Edited by BRASSO