GE Judge Tapes from 1959 !

When we started utilizing cassette tapes by judges in the early 70s, nobody remembered that this had been tried over a decade earlier.

I have all the musical archives of my mentor, DCI HOFer Emil Pavlik. I decided to check out a pair of 5" reel-to-reel tapes labeled from 1959 contests in Madison and Marinette WI. I sent them to mi amigo Roy Perez in California, and he turned them over to Munson Chan for conversion to digital format. Today, I received the ensuing MP3s.

What a surprise ! There is commentary running throughout the performances, by unidentified GE judges. Apparently, this was an experiment, by either the Wisconsin All-American Judges Assn. or the fledgeling Badgerland D&B circuit.

The idea didn't catch on, probably because in 1959 virtually nobody owned a home tape recorder. They were relatively expensive [a half-month's wages] and not very portable. I know Emil never owned one (he taught me the drop-the-needle method of transcription), so today may be the first time anyone ever listened to those judges' comments.

• Like 1

When we started utilizing cassette tapes by judges in the early 70s, nobody remembered that this had been tried over a decade earlier.

I have all the musical archives of my mentor, DCI HOFer Emil Pavlik. I decided to check out a pair of 5" reel-to-reel tapes labeled from 1959 contests in Madison and Marinette WI. I sent them to mi amigo Roy Perez in California, and he turned them over to Munson Chan for conversion to digital format. Today, I received the ensuing MP3s.

What a surprise ! There is commentary running throughout the performances, by unidentified GE judges. Apparently, this was an experiment, by either the Wisconsin All-American Judges Assn. or the fledgeling Badgerland D&B circuit.

The idea didn't catch on, probably because in 1959 virtually nobody owned a home tape recorder. They were relatively expensive [a half-month's wages] and not very portable. I know Emil never owned one (he taught me the drop-the-needle method of transcription), so today may be the first time anyone ever listened to those judges' comments.

I'd love to hear those tapes. Here are the corps and places from the two shows.

July 5 Marinette WI Drums in the North

1 Madison Scouts

2 Kilties

3 Northernaires, Menominee, MI

July 11 Madison

1 Belleville Black Knights

2 Cavaliers

3 Norwood Park Imperials

4 Kilties

5 Northernaires

6 Appleton Americanos

7 Mercury Thunderbolts

Edited by alankarls

I'd love to hear those tapes. Here are the corps and places from the two shows.

July 5 Marinette WI Drums in the North

1 Madison Scouts

2 Kilties

3 Northernaires, Menominee, MI

July 11 Madison

1 Belleville Black Knights

2 Cavaliers

3 Norwood Park Imperials

4 Kilties

5 Northernaires

6 Appleton Americanos

7 Mercury Thunderbolts

Attention HornsUP

Both the Madison Scouts and the Cavaliers are celebrating momentous anniversaries this season of their founding. May I suggest you contact their head officers making them aware of the gem of a treasure you possess. Each of the two corps is currently planning a banquet to celebrate the occasion with their current and past members. You possess more than just a museum piece. Wouldn't it be a gas, and quite a bridge builder between young and old, to have these tapes heard by those who were there and those who continue the tradition today. Just a thought.

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1