Woody Shaw and Carver

Jim, I edited my post with another link for Spirit of St. Louis. We competed against them at Am. Legion Nat's. in 68 down in New Orleans. Forgot about them.

There's also several junior corps on CorpsReps, Carter Cadets, CMCC Warriors, Manhattanaires, WynnCenter Toppers, etc. from the NYC area.

Glenn

Check into the VIP's from Washington DC as well ...

Please pass any more links you might find. Carver was from before my time but heard about them and interested in anything on "ethnic corps" (OK - most PC term I could think of). Interesting that Clark Terry was in another corps like this and guessing the Tom Powell Post was a "Black" AL Post in St Louis. Harrisburg still has one that I didn't know about until a few years back. :doh:/> Kind of what sparked my interest.

Jim,

You may find this interesting:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2011/01/off-the-record-qbandsq-of-brothers/

FD

Jim, I edited my post with another link for Spirit of St. Louis. We competed against them at Am. Legion Nat's. in 68 down in New Orleans. Forgot about them.

There's also several junior corps on CorpsReps, Carter Cadets, CMCC Warriors, Manhattanaires, WynnCenter Toppers, etc. from the NYC area.

Glenn

The Riversiders were another great NYC area corps at that time...they were in the Garden State Circuit at a time I was in a corps in the GSC. I would say we competed against them, but it wasn't really a competition...they were far ahead of us. :smile:

I believe The Scarlet Lancers were the very first Champions of the Long Island Circuit. They were instructed by a couple of ex-Queensmen, Donald Jenkins (drums) and Nick Saunders (brass).

These days, Nick continues to tour with the famous doo-wop group, The Cleftones, singing bass.

The Riversiders were another great NYC area corps at that time...they were in the Garden State Circuit at a time I was in a corps in the GSC. I would say we competed against them, but it wasn't really a competition...they were far ahead of us. :smile:

The first year my older brothers were in drum corps... 1967... they were with a corps in the Garden State circuit, and the Riversiders dominated the circuit that summer. Great corps.

I also remember the VIPs from DC my first year or two in the Manville Crusaders. We'd see 'em at Eastern States shows. Another really solid corps.