Condolences to the Colts organization

Video on tragedy

This is the third suicide their high school has had to deal with this year.

It's times like this when one wishes one could embrace someone who is experiencing such thoughts for whatever reason, and let them know things will get better and/or the best times of one's life is yet ahead.

We should also never assume by just looking at someone that their lives aren't without unspeakable stresses.

Life is so fragile, and far more precious than sometimes realized.

I hope the Colts know all of us are embracing them at this time.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

I have had a couple exchanges with Dakotah's father, who contacted me after reading this thread. (He is a DCP member.) I share that only because he's written, "We love all the texts, fb messages, posts house visits and phone calls. It means a lot to his family to see the outpouring of love." If you write a message of support here, he will see it and share it with the family. He says that Dakotah's identity was all about being a member of Colts. They will be working on a "celebration of life," the date which has not yet been selected. There has yet to be a discovery of the two children.

Please consider leaving a message here for the family.

My son started teaching for the Colts this year. He called me Saturday concerned about Dakotah. When he received the news of his passing he called me again devastated. Dakotah was a special kid. My son played the trumpet when he marched so he has a soft spot for the horn line and he was looking forward to working with Dakotah this summer. Dakotah could play loud, work hard, and was an asset to the Colts. I know the family bond that a corps creates and this heartbreak will be felt by every member of the Colts.

Our hearts are heavy in Colorado as we pray for his family, friends, and his Colts family; he will be truly missed by all.

May God bless and comfort you through this time.

Our daughter went to Colts to finish her age out after Teal folded last year. She was on the same bus sitting a couple of rows behind him. The Colts family is an AMAZING family- we witnessed that first hand with their open arms to the Teal kids. They will mourn the loss of one of their own, but will draw strength from each other as only close families can do. Thoughts and prayers are with the incredible members/staff of the red team and both of the young people's families.

Doug - I am so happy to hear that your daughter had such a good experience with the Colts following Teal Sound's folding. The Colts are a class organization which has long welcomed people from other places who, like your daughter, found that "My first drum corps was done before I was done with drum corps". I am speaking from first-hand experience.

Should any of Dakotah's family be reading my remarks - I am so sorry for your loss. That Dakotah was so highly thought of by his peers and staff at the Colts clearly evidences someone on his way to becoming a remarkable adult.

Edited by notelvis