Complete Crowd Silence

but hopefully even the lousy shows get an applause for effort.

DCI fans are generally a good lot. Most understand the hard work that marchers put into their shows. They also recognize that these marchers are involved in a positive activity that is a positive force in society. We recognize that the media oftentimes gives lots of coversage to the bad things that a few young bad apples do, but does not give appropriate and neccessary recognition to all the good kids that are doing such great things in their lives. So those of us in the stands show appreciation for these well deserved efforts of these marchers, as they deserve every bit of support with our show of appreciation for what these young marchers do. They are absolutely amazing with what they do.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Nobody got this one yet....

Back in 2007 during the Louisville show, right at the start of the 2nd movement, Blue Shades, all you could hear was "Martha Grah---"

And because there was silence in the score put in for the narration, after it got cut off, we were marching in silence and the crowd was more quiet than grass growing.

All you heard was "dee-dah" from the mellophones.....

more silence......

.....dee-da Dee-Da DEE-DA DEE-DA!

More silence....

...DAT! Dee-dah DAT!

Ironic blooper, considering the original score had pauses in between anyway, but this one was....well, you know...

Edited by bccadet09
  • Like 4

I remember sitting in the stadium in Jackson, MS. in 1993 still a bit wet from the downpour during Scouts. This crowd was very loud and had just given Regiment multiple baby- throwing standing ovations. When Star came on the field the crowd got very quiet and stayed that way for most of the show. There seemed to be a complete focus on the program and I personally don't remember crowd members speaking and very little movement in the stands At least not from where I was sitting. At the time I was unsure it is was a case of being bored or being confused as to what they were seeing and hearing. But Star '93 demanded your full attention and I think they got it from most of the crowd and certainly from me.

Dead silence for most of that show followed by an incredibly loud ovation and many years of debate.

Honorable mention to Suncoast Sound '84 when the Vietnam Memorial appeared during Requiem.

And to Boston Crusaders '2011 while the soloist performed Bring Him Home.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 1

Tooting my own horn a bit. 1994 Regiment before the final chord in Claire De Lune. When we did the turn to the back corner, you could hear a pin drop.

Or a "Sweet" if you turn up the recording enough. :)

I remember being able to hear a phone ringing in the press box during one show.

• Like 1

I remember being able to hear a phone ringing in the press box during one show.

I remember being able to hear a phone ringing on the podium during one show.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I have to agree with CROWN 2009, somewhere. It was magical. I went to a show with some non drum corps friends and they all reacted..wow, beautiful. Can't top that..

• Like 1

In 88 and 89 the Crossmen played "Jazz Waltz". The chart was several minutes long and had an extended exchange between the battery and pit. The snares used brushes, bass/tenors used puffies and the pit played with a light touch. I remember the crowd being completely silent, not because of an emotional moment, but more so they could hear the percussion parts.

The beginning & end of Regiment 2010...

• Like 5

1988 SCV - when that tarp dropped you could hear a collective gasp from the crowd and silence then a giant roar from the crowd.

still the best effect to this day and such a surprise

• Like 2

I personally find it amusing that one would speak of "complete crowd silence" as a good thing. In our day, we spoke of how loud the audience got. If the crowd was quiet, it usually meant you stunk.

I find it amusing that people would be upset and give me negative ratings for this comment. Who did I demean? All I said was that we used to value loud and that quiet meant you weren't any good. Why would anyone be upset with that, unless that person is extremely defensive about today vs. yesterday?

Come on, I didn't say anything at all about today's activity. Why would anyone be upset?