Blue Devils 2013

I'm convinced that had the trumpet soloist not cracked right before the spinning bases part, Blue Devils would've won.

Nah: not with that percussion performance. They ONLY thing that likely would've pushed Blue Devils into first would've been a better percussion performance from them.

But it is the visual, not the music, which 'communicates' the show design concept to the audience and judges.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

This is true in the drum corps medium, perhaps, if one was deaf and ONLY viewing a performance with zero sound

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year’s Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

What does the crowd reaction have to do with what the Blue Devils are doing?

Not a thing, imo.

I think there were certainly many folks in the crowd rooting for Blue Devils and liking their show last year (raises hand). If the Fan Network vids and blu-rays are any indication, sounds like plenty of fans in Indy dug BD's show

I think you will find that the Stanford band takes their unconventional shenanigans more seriously than one might think. No, they do not typically field a group full of music majors, but they go far out of their way to be unconventional, provocative, and downright cheeky.

My point originally in this matter was Stanford goes FAR outside the box when it comes to fielding a marching band, while Blue Devils painted a portrait of dadaism within very strict confines of a competitively judged activity (something I'm quite certain would not exactly fit in well in the dada community). You can quibble semantics about what truly is dada (hint: neither Stanford or Blue Devils), but I think that Stanford captures the spirit of the dada art movement with their unconventional instruments and show designs that Blue Devils did in 2012.

+1 for the use of the phrase "downright cheeky" !

Nah: not with that percussion performance. They ONLY thing that likely would've pushed Blue Devils into first would've been a better percussion performance from them.

Yeah but look at 2010, I think they got 4th in percussion that year and still dominated.

All I'm saying is that cracked note at the very least costed them .025 of a pt. And that made all the difference.

yep. the percussion issues not only hurt them with the drum judges, but ensemble music as well

Yeah but look at 2010, I think they got 4th in percussion that year and still dominated.

All I'm saying is that cracked note at the very least costed them .025 of a pt. And that made all the difference.

BD won brass, by .1 However, they were 4th in music ensemble, .7 behind Phantom.....all because of the percussion issues, and were 5th on both percussion sheets, a whopping .85 out in percussion.

BD was also 2nd in visual performance by .1 under Cavies, and 2nd in Ge music, .3 under Phantom...which percussion issues also could have influenced.

• Like 2