DCI in Santa Clara 2017?

The east/midwest corps coming out started being almost regular only after 2007. Prior to that (off the top of my head), Regiment had only come out in 1981 and 2003, we got Sky Ryders and Xmen in 83, Cavies and Madison a couple of times in the 90s, Cadets in the mid 2000s. the 2004 ToC was the first time in THIRTY TWO YEARS that the West had ever had an August quality show from ANYone.

After 2007 we started seeing a more regular visitation from A corps from the midwest/east....but nothing like having an actual tour out here.

It's hardly narcissistic for the West to ask for a SECOND nationals in FOURTY FIVE EFFING YEARS (resuming we shoot for 2017)

Narcissistic? Oh please....

Oh yeah...and re crowds being mean to Cadets....I seem to recall any number of stories of crowds at Allentown not exactly being pleasant to BD. I supposed there are stoners and drunks everywhere.

Sky Ryders also toured in CA in 91.

I live a couple blocks away from the new stadium.

It's right behind California's Great America (amusement park currently owned be Cedar Fair, just got a new coaster).

It's right across the street from the Santa Clara Convention Center (hello I&E). The Convention Center is connected to the Hyatt (hello DCI HQ for championships).

There's a light rail system that runs on Tasman Dr. (the street between the stadium and the convention center), and an Amtrak station very close by.

It's also 10-15 minutes away from San Jose International.

Buck Shaw Stadium at Santa Clara University could be ideal for Open Championships - maybe 20 minutes away. I don't think the new MLS Earthquakes stadium would work since it is being built right across from the airport.

Buck Shaw is a horrible place for a drum corps show (it's a baseball stadium after all.) Spartan Stadium at San Jose State would be a much better option.

In 2001, the California crowds sat on their hands, much like the "fans" in Rockford, but worse. Never seen anything like it.

I don't know what shows you were at but at the the NoCal shows the Cadets received the same great reception from the crowd as BD and SCV.

Edited by Niner1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what shows you were at but at the the NoCal shows the Cadets received the same great reception from the crowd as BD and SCV.

Actually sometimes even better!

We love visiting corps here!

Any place but Indy and the Dome!

• Like 2

This is the way i see it.

DCI is not opposed to changing finals locations in the future, but they like it in indi... a lot. They want the community to get involved. Its not st louis but its closer to the center of the population of the country than santa clara, or boston.

But i do not see them going back to an open roof finals ever again. They like indoors for consistency, climate control, and noise control. Atmet life you can hear the other corps warming up outside of the stadium, horrible!

So i could see them hitting dallas maybe.

But i like indi, i live 3 hours away. :thumbup: