Can't wait for Surf 2013!

" Retro Shows " have won DCI Titles before, so if Jersey Surf was ever able to clean a " Retro Show " to that level... wow... what a treat that would be to win over BOTH the fans and the judges.

I'm curious what show you would consider retro that has won DCI. I know some might say Spartacus was retro, but it really was a totally different show from their early 80's shows (and it was a show that was totally designed with modern styles & sensibilities). I don't think anyone has ever come close to winning with a show design similar to Surf last year.

Either way (again), splitting hairs. We both agree that if Surf can continue to program with audience entertainment as the focus AND excel in performance achievement, only good things will happen. It's exciting that they've been gradually improving score-wise and it would be a treat for a corps with those design sensibilities won over fans + judges' sheets

• Like 2

I'm with you guys. I love Surf. performance needs to grow, and it has ben slowly and surely. I think, and this is just me...that elements of last years design were too "retro" for the sheets. Well maybe not the sheets themselves, butthe sheet users. But there was dirt.

But...less dirt than 2011, which had less dirt than 2010.

This corps was born in 1991. Everything about them has been slow and steady.....and hey, it got them into semifinals last year. The tour schedule is a little more than it's ever been, and that extra time can't hurt. Design staff has been stabilizing,not so many in and out folks...and...even better...membership retention has been growing.

I rarely make a prediction, but I'll go there for Surf...if thisyears show generates last years buzz, you will again see Allentown the fullest it's been in YEARS when Surf goes on in the daylight in August

Agree with all that you said.

• Like 1

I'm curious what show you would consider retro that has won DCI.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of show that is " retro ". If " retro " has a strict definition, then Jersey Surf's show from last season probably is not a true " retro " Drum Corps show, as they utilized instrumentation unavailable to its earlier incantation from the Bayonne Bridgemen from the 70's. They also performed music and visual moves in the show that Bridgemen did not utilize. Its really hard to do a strict definition " retro show", as the instrumentation, scoring, field performers allowed, etc and many other things have changed. On the other hand, if we utilize a broader definition, more expansive, then The Cadets 94 show ( 2nd place ) was a " retro show " from their 10 year anniversary of "West Side Story" theme of the 1984 DCI winning WSS themed show. In such a broader context, SCV 89 winning DCI show of "Phantom of the Opera" was a reprieve show of the previous year ( '88 ). I suppose it stretched the definition of " retro " beyond its conventionally understood time frame as it was reintroduced only 1 year later as opposed to 10-20-30 years later. Phantom's 08 was a " retro " themed show as they had done " Spartacus " themselves before in 1981 and also in 1982 before bringing it back a third time ( a charm for them ) to win a title with it in 2008. But yes, its true, that if we utilize a strict definition of a " retro show " then its never really been done before, and its probably impossible to do for the reasons mentioned.

Edited by BRASSO

Would anyone else,other than me, consider Surf the new Velvet Knights?

No. Just as VK was not the new Bridgemen. Each had their own niche. some similarities yes, but not total

"Retro" is probably the nicest, most PC way of putting. I don't mean that in any mean or negative way, just the fact that there is only so far a corp can get with that sort of show design + that amount of dirt. The awesome thing IMO is that Surf not only seems to not be fully concerned with designing to sheets, but also...

This is a great point: they are getting better & better every year, and really that's the best anyone could ask of any organization. If they continue to improve across the board it will be very interesting to see how far they can go!!

well, and let's give props elsewhere...the competition keeps improving.

Surf's not getting the top of the line recruits, at least not a majority.....yet. But they have built a buzz, made some nice partnerships, and really raised their profile in the region. They're no longer that "fun corps that gos on first at shows"

• Like 2

I just wish Surf can figure out how to be entertaining while also marching and playing clean. Imagine how many more fans they'd have performing Saturday night in Indy (and how much more influential their design style might be if they could have high success).

I know I'm getting old, but Surf's show is the only one that I remember in Allentown last year....

• Like 2

I know I'm getting old, but Surf's show is the only one that I remember in Allentown last year....

Thats cool. Its when you don't remember being in Allentown last year that you should be concerned with age related issues. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I'm sure surf would love to be much cleaner. No one wants to be dirty. But more important the cleanliness or dirtiness, they had fun and so did the crowd. Entertain me. That's why I pay to experience. Speaking of experience, I love how Surf made the crowd part of the experience and recognized the importance of the crowd versus other shows that eliminate the crowd all together for the mere sake of cleanliness. Entertain. That's all i'm asking for. Stop worrying so much about the judging sheets and just entertain and play the freaking horns. Ok...my rant is over!

• Like 2

Thats cool. Its when you don't remember being in Allentown last year that you should be concerned with age related issues. ( haha!)

BRASSO...... I'm still laughing !! You are definitely right ! You have me trying to remember how I got there now !

Hey as you can probably see from my user name I march trumpet with Surf and our head director read all of this stuff to us and it pretty much told us that we can be entertaining and clean and being clean is what we have to do to move up and it also did some things for me by showing me what we do at surf isn't perfect but can be much better and then that I have to work for this no ring is gonna come to me like that so once again thanks for all of the comments they were really helpful to me and the rest of the corps.

• Like 1