New Uniforms 2013

some were upset that DCI was becoming BOA with the addition of Bb and electronics/narration... is DCI now becoming WGI with these new styles of uniforms and so much body movement throughout all sections... drumlines dance around as they play, the hornline's graceful body movements like the guards use to, etc. Discuss...

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1

some were upset that DCI was becoming BOA with the addition of Bb and electronics/narration... is DCI now becoming WGI with these new styles of uniforms and so much body movement throughout all sections... drumlins dance around as they play, the hornline's graceful body movements like the guards use to, etc. Discuss...

No offense intended, but I've always felt like statements like this were a bit extreme. The activity continues to evolve, as it always has, but it will always be drum corps. Only Crown can do what they do. It's not like next year we'll see the Cadets in pajamas or SCV in space jumpsuits. When I say this I'm not targeting you or anyone in particular, but sometimes I feel like some people feel that if a uniform isn't modeled after whatever period they consider to be the "glory years" of the activity, then it's not fit for drum corps. Again, I'm not saying that's how you feel, but I've never agreed with that way of thinking.

For the record, I wasn't a really big fan of Crown's '10-'12 uniform but I applauded them for trying something totally different.

• Like 6

I've seen a few posters mention Blue Devils and the new Crown uniforms in the same sentence.

Question: Would Crown have gone for this uniform without the West Coast schedule this year? We'll get a better understanding once we actually see their show. But with EOTB... the new uniform, the West Coast show schedule - it all seems to fit together.

All that's missing is a dark horse from the midwest (oh, please, drum corps god) to throw a monkey wrench into the mix. Ya never know! rolleyes.gif

Edited by drumcorpsfever

1371083366[/url]' post='3266967']

I've seen a few posters mention Blue Devils and the new Crown uniforms in the same sentence.

Question: Would Crown have gone for this uniform without the West Coast schedule this year? We'll get a better understanding once we actually see their show. But with EOTB... the new uniform, the West Coast show schedule - it all seems to fit together.

All that's missing is a dark horse from the midwest (oh, please, drum corps god) to throw a monkey wrench into the mix. Ya never know! rolleyes.gif

I doubt anyone with Crown would ever admit it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this year's west coast tour had at least a little bit to do with the choice of uniform and programming. But we'll never know for sure.

I doubt anyone with Crown would ever admit it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this year's west coast tour had at least a little bit to do with the choice of uniform and programming. But we'll never know for sure.

What in your view is the connection between the West Coast and the uniform ( and the 2013 programming ) of Carolina Crown ?

What in your view is the connection between the West Coast and the uniform ( and the 2013 programming ) of Carolina Crown ?

Touring the west coast is something Crown has never done before. Why not do all you can to make it as memorable as possible? I don't think it's the only reason, but perhaps an extra incentive.

It's not like next year we'll see the Cadets in pajamas...

There have been attempts to use a WGI style uni, but it's been discouraged by alumni and donors. Regarding body movement, Cadets used to just march their tails off. It's only recently that the body movements have been showing up into their M&M. If I remember correctly, the first real body movements I saw from Cadets that were not their typical MO were in their 2010 show-heads/shako/plume rocking. IMOF, some of this year's movements are similar to those Crown has done. I'm not saying that's good or bad. The body movements have worked their way into the genre. Personally, I'd rather se the Cadets march, but that's not the current trend.

Edited by wallace

954805_10201339659557558_1967502448_n.jpg

Has Cesario has gone mad? rolleyes.gif Really, though, there's no middle road to this design...

One thing that Crown's uniform succeeds at is evoking an opinion. There will be no ambivalence about them. They will look different for sure!

PS - I do appreciate the pride this member evokes while wearing his uniform.

Honestly, this uniform is definitely the coolest design I've seen! It's sleek, different and modern. Can we talk about that shako...? Amazing! I'm sure people from or who live on the west coast/east coast will appreciate this much more than those who live in the middle of the country.

• Like 5

About the new Crown uniform........It might look good from a distance.

Say Jupiter?

• Like 4