New Uniforms 2013

Terri, I really think that the change to the main uniform is going to be very effective! The lighter blue will definitely be more visible under the lights and I really like the white gauntlets (which I have wanted for years!) The colorguard uniform is a bit odd, but, I also believe that it will be more effective in the big shows. It kind of looks like a collage of Trooper uniforms and flags over the last 60 years. I only wish that the yellow scarves could have been integrated into the main uniform. It just doesn't seem to be Troopers without them!

Terri, I really think that the change to the main uniform is going to be very effective! The lighter blue will definitely be more visible under the lights and I really like the white gauntlets (which I have wanted for years!) The colorguard uniform is a bit odd, but, I also believe that it will be more effective in the big shows. It kind of looks like a collage of Trooper uniforms and flags over the last 60 years. I only wish that the yellow scarves could have been integrated into the main uniform. It just doesn't seem to be Troopers without them!

I'm not a fan of the guard uniform. The corps uniform looks like what a Troopers uniform should look like - although the drop sash reminds me of what happens when something is so good that the design process fails to stop when it should.

Phantom Regiment's guard uniforms are the standard for classy guard uniforms since 2011. Does DCI really need to emulate Jean-Paul Gauthier?

I have never liked the half-skirt since it was first implemented over 2 decades ago.

I have looked at it several times over the last few days, and elements of it are growing on me. I like the red and white print, the barbed wire and I love the blue with buttons detail. I think they will definitely enhance the look on the field. The way the picture was taken I'm finding it hard to put the skirt part into context.

In any case, I'm a wait-and-see alumni.

I think the "wait-and-see" is pretty key. It's hard to judge a color guard costume without any context of the silks, how they're used visually, etc. We look at some uniforms and think that they're badazz because we know them in context. The Troopers corps proper, taken strictly on its own with zero context, is insanely silly: a goofy looking throwback dress-up type calvary costume that would fit in with a John Wayne western if it weren't modernized too much.

But in context of THE Troopers, it's awesome. It has history; there have been great shows performed with that uniform.

Color guard costumes don't get that benefit of the doubt since they're pretty different every year. It's all about how they are used within the program, how effective they are, how visually they compliment the corps proper in motion, how they work with the silks, etc. Some costumes look cooler than others on their own, but without seeing a performance it's impossible to get a real perspective on how they look. That's kinda why I never pay much attention to new uniforms or guard costume pictures, and wait to see how they look on the field at a show (or on Fan Network). With Troopers we'll see in a few weeks how well the guard costume works (or doesn't)

My thoughts ...

Bluecoats: Someone watches too much Full Metal Alchemist. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but their previous unis were the epitome of sexy.

Colts: I kind of dig it. It reminds me of what this band from Oklahoma had for uniforms in the early 2000s. Not sure about the off-center "V-neck" collar and the use of gradients (stop using gradients in uniforms, PLEASE), but the white shoulder parts are really cool.

Mandarins: I prefer the burnt orange unis: simpler design, more unique, more slimming. But the new ones are fine, and I would even say they're more classic "Mandarin" as far as the purple/metallic gold coloring. I'm just not floored by the slightly longer jacket and the hard-to-see dark gradient pattern on the bottom left side.

Troopers: Pick an era-appropriate look, make it slimming and appropriate for movement without compromising the classic look, and leave it at that. The leg cape and over-sized white gauntlets look like tacky add-ons.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Only 2011? I've loved Regiments guard outfits going back as far as I can recall, into the 1980's. :thumbup:/>

No - lately they have become such a wonderful well-tuned section of the corps. I would have included 2010 because of the beauty of that show, but even 3-tosses weren't even.

• Like 1

My thoughts ...

Bluecoats: Someone watches too much Full Metal Alchemist. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but their previous unis were the epitome of sexy.

Colts: I kind of dig it. It reminds me of what this band from Oklahoma had for uniforms in the early 2000s. Not sure about the off-center "V-neck" collar and the use of gradients (stop using gradients in uniforms, PLEASE), but the white shoulder parts are really cool.

Mandarins: I prefer the burnt orange unis: simpler design, more unique, more slimming. But the new ones are fine, and I would even say they're more classic "Mandarin" as far as the purple/metallic gold coloring. I'm just not floored by the slightly longer jacket and the hard-to-see dark gradient pattern on the bottom left side.

Troopers: Pick an era-appropriate look, make it slimming and appropriate for movement without compromising the classic look, and leave it at that. The leg cape and over-sized white gauntlets look like tacky add-ons.

wasn't their previous uniform from some anime cartoon as well?? I remember seeing pictures

wasn't their previous uniform from some anime cartoon as well?? I remember seeing pictures

Also Fullmetal Alchemist... Before, it was because of the diagonal chest pocket. Now it's the long jacket. Go figure that blue military-inspired uniforms in drum corps would look like blue military uniforms in a cartoon...

161a.jpg

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 1

Colt Cadets have the best posted

Troopers up top is nice, the gauntlets look a bit large, too heavy and unbalanced but I like the white, just less please

The bottom of Troop -sort of a disappointment – same goes to you Bluecoats – BD brought that style in, strips up front for Godfather (puppet strings) and the ### cape for 08 Absurd –they worked and by keeping and adding to them – BD made it their own, broke away – no longer a cookie cutter uniform and now Bluecoats’ looks like a BD rip and Trooper are barrowing BD elements – can’t wait to follow the winner? Be part of the pack? Make it all cookie cutter again?

Ticks me off the way corps mindlessly copy each other and then claim to be artists

• Like 4

well it's a long jacket and not a half skirt on one side - so the similarity to BD is not there. It's more related to the old Bridgemen long jackets than anything. and the Bluecoats have had the black stipes down the front of the legs since 2007 so this is nothing new, and that element was directly from the full metal alchemist uniform in the cartoon and had nothing to do with BD's racing stripe down one leg from the god father 2006 season.

• Like 2