About this time of year

What Ray and Fred said about John Laskowski.

You most definitely knew where you stood with him, at all times. He is sorely missed.

I always liked guys like Fred Mowbray! (and Barb, she was a sweetie too)(and you can't forget Lillian) Fred used to come along on trips with us, and he was just the nicest guy to chat with!

Bob Gibson Sr. was another great guy to talk to...I first met him when I was The "host" for the Crusaders in 1978 at the Hershey Show, and when he and his son came to Westshore, it was just a treat to really get to know them, and hang out with them!

I can only say I met Pepe once..and it was on an elevator at the Meadowlands (I don't remember if it was 82 or 83)... I was standing there waiting for the elevator to open, and when it did, it was him, and one of the other DM's for the Hurcs (and a few other guys) He looked at me and said "Get on, we won't bite!" So I did...and when the door closed he said "ok, get him!" then started laughing! We talked for the duration of the ride, he said we had a great show that year, and wished us luck the rest of the way, and that was it!

But seeing that some of these guys are not around anymore is sad..they were all a credit to their respective "jobs"!

I always liked guys like Fred Mowbray! (and Barb, she was a sweetie too)(and you can't forget Lillian) Fred used to come along on trips with us, and he was just the nicest guy to chat with!

Thanks, Ben!

What Ben said but never met Pepe, and add George Parks and Butch Anderson who my wife never saw.

Plus bunch of corps that I remember fondly.

And lastly Ben Behrens Sr (drum truck driver) and Chuck Saia (passed this year). Chuck was one of the "unholy three :tongue: " who TOLD me I was coming back for my second year when I thought I was to be asked. I walked into the hotel room at Rochester and heard "Fawber.. yeah he's in" and I'm back in the hallway before I could even draw breath. What happened??? :blink: Other two were "Uncle Larry" Hershman and Bill Light. Rode with Bill and Chuck my first year and Benny after that (think I cut in on beer time since I was still in HS).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks, Ben!

No problem Fran! They were GOOD people! You don't find many families that are the total package like that!

Bob Gibson Sr. was another great guy to talk to...I first met him when I was The "host" for the Crusaders in 1978 at the Hershey Show, and when he and his son came to Westshore, it was just a treat to really get to know them, and hang out with them!

I can only say I met Pepe once..and it was on an elevator at the Meadowlands (I don't remember if it was 82 or 83)... I was standing there waiting for the elevator to open, and when it did, it was him, and one of the other DM's for the Hurcs (and a few other guys) He looked at me and said "Get on, we won't bite!" So I did...and when the door closed he said "ok, get him!" then started laughing! We talked for the duration of the ride, he said we had a great show that year, and wished us luck the rest of the way, and that was it!

But seeing that some of these guys are not around anymore is sad..they were all a credit to their respective "jobs"!

I just had to laugh thinking about Pepe and Westshore. Anyone who was present at the 1980 American Legion Championship at Boston University (in Boston, obviously)could tell you that story. The critique was in the press box and the adjectives and adverbs Pepe used on Westshore that night could never be repeated on any medium of the time - you could get away with it on HBO now. Truman Crawford just wisely sat back and let Pepe rant. When that was all done, Reading came in and did the same thing.

In many years of drum corps critiques and many colorful displays by corps staff, Pepe on Westshore that night is blazed in my memory... I won't use the phrase he repeated over and over again, very Brooklyn, you hear it in Goodfellas quite a bit. Brutal. Don't blame you for hesitating before getting into the elevator.

There are far too many people to list, and this topic could begin to get maudlin in a hurry. That said, I miss:

1. 14-minute shows that allowed for some variety and/or development.

2. Rudiments

3. A season that extended from Memorial Day to October

4. The previous abundance of soloists

5. Full retreats

Of course, we won't see any of these again, unless we believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

• Like 1

I just had to laugh thinking about Pepe and Westshore. Anyone who was present at the 1980 American Legion Championship at Boston University (in Boston, obviously)could tell you that story. The critique was in the press box and the adjectives and adverbs Pepe used on Westshore that night could never be repeated on any medium of the time - you could get away with it on HBO now. Truman Crawford just wisely sat back and let Pepe rant. When that was all done, Reading came in and did the same thing.

In many years of drum corps critiques and many colorful displays by corps staff, Pepe on Westshore that night is blazed in my memory... I won't use the phrase he repeated over and over again, very Brooklyn, you hear it in Goodfellas quite a bit. Brutal. Don't blame you for hesitating before getting into the elevator.

Gotta recording of it? :devil:

When that was all done, Reading came in and did the same thing.

Mebbe Pepe had a problem with defending champs.... Reading won the last DCA and Westshore won the last Sr AL show (78).

Not to hickjack the thread but LOL, first thing I ever heard about Pepe. Was getting set up for retreat around 1975 next another corps.

1st guy: Pepe sez we better win horns tonight.

2nd guy: What if we don't.

1st guy gave a look of either "Can't believe you asked" or "You don't want to know".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There are far too many people to list, and this topic could begin to get maudlin in a hurry. That said, I miss:

1. 14-minute shows that allowed for some variety and/or development.

2. Rudiments

3. A season that extended from Memorial Day to October

4. The previous abundance of soloists

5. Full retreats

Of course, we won't see any of these again, unless we believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Well-said, Frank.

Back in the day... (dinosaur moment here...LOL)... it seemed even the most rinky-dink local corps had at least one solid soloist.