15 year old Snare Drummer in DIV I

I don't know Blue Devils actual tour fees, but if he marches every year that could add up to close to 1 year's salary for many people.

Really, what is the point of this post? To highlight that incomes are too small for "many people"? That drum corps is a white, elitist, rich-person's activity? That BD is too expensive (although you admit not knowing what their fees are)? That he should, instead, donate his fees to a needy family?

Sure $4000 (+/-) for 7 years is $28,000, but it is spread over seven years. So what's the point of comparing it to one year's family income?

Seriously, help me understand why you made this point?

Edited by garfield

Really, what is the point of this post? To highlight that incomes are too small for "many people"? That drum corps is a white, elitist, rich-person's activity? That BD is too expensive (although you admit not knowing what their fees are)? That he should, instead, donate his fees to a needy family?

Sure $4000 (+/-) for 7 years is $28,000, but it is spread over seven years. So what's the point of comparing it to one year's family income?

I would guess his point is that it's expensive to march World Class drum corps. Marching seven years in any World Class drum corps is expensive and while it's easy for us to hype on the member for having an abundance of talent, making a top corps as a 16 year old and just marveling at the situation, it is easy to not think about the financial side of that. I don't think it's necessarily meant to be a comment on anything other than "drum corps is expensive, and doing it for 7 years would be really expensive compared to the average person who marches, say, three years."

I joined Boston in 1974 as a 14 year old from the 'burbs. We're talking the Boston Crusaders of the '70's. I would say that what I remember most were the questions I kept asking over and over in regard to are off the field pursuits. "Are we allowed to do this?" "Should we be doing this?" "Isn't this crazy?" "Do normal people do these things?" But as far as developing as a player, I was a Sop, trying to keep pace with the older guys was what really accelerated my learning curve. I just figured that I was suppose to be burning through triple tonguing and popping off high G's like everyone else.

Edited by Bsader

As you obviously jumped to conclusions the point was that WOW, that's quite an investment, and one that I would on my lowly public school teacher's salary, be willing to make for my kid to do something they loved. Be it drum corps, or anything else. Just a statement acknowledging the fact that it will be a lot of money.

Not to mention that it's STILL cheaper than chasing an Olympic dream if you're an ice skater.

As you obviously jumped to conclusions the point was that WOW, that's quite an investment, and one that I would on my lowly public school teacher's salary, be willing to make for my kid to do something they loved. Be it drum corps, or anything else. Just a statement acknowledging the fact that it will be a lot of money.

OK, glad to hear your explanation.

Suffice it to say that, compared to a couple weeks at Interlochen, or a week at Chatauqua (or others) $4,000 a year or $28,000 for this kid's career is a bargain.

My 15 year old isn't interested in a career in music, but he plans to audition this fall. The life-lessons of drum corps will carry with him for his whole life and I'm happy to pay the fee. Just don't tell the corps that I said that!

The life-lessons of drum corps will carry with him for his whole life and I'm happy to pay the fee. Just don't tell the corps that I said that!

As was my Dad, many times over!!!

OK, glad to hear your explanation.

Suffice it to say that, compared to a couple weeks at Interlochen, or a week at Chatauqua (or others) $4,000 a year or $28,000 for this kid's career is a bargain.

My 15 year old isn't interested in a career in music, but he plans to audition this fall. The life-lessons of drum corps will carry with him for his whole life and I'm happy to pay the fee. Just don't tell the corps that I said that!

My 14 year old daughter spent the last few summers at Interlochen at $8000 for a six week session. My wallet couldn't wait until she was old enough to audition for a world class corps. I thought I'd have to wait a few more years, but she was lucky enough to get a contract with a world class corps this year. Even with the plane tickets to camp, it's proving to be a lot less expensive than summers at Interlochen, and one heck of a great experience so far. Leaves a little more in the fund to help sponsor other kids.

Her September birthday will allow her 9 years of eligiabilty.

Edited by kmkord

On a lighter note - Arjun, a Fifteen year old Snare Drummer from the SD CA area just made Orange County Independent Percussion ( WGI PIW) and Bluecoats!! He is an absolute monster! Congrats Arjun!

• Like 1