'The Beat Goes On” historic drum corps recordings

I was wondering if Ken Mason could give us an update. From the advertisement/listings in Drum Corps World, it doesn't appear that any new CDs have been added lately. So when can we expect some more, and what will they be?

I'm hoping for more of the late 70's-early-mid 80's DCA shows getting released....what I've encountered so far has been of less than stellar quality...and my old albums are beat!

I'm hoping for more of the late 70's-early-mid 80's DCA shows getting released....what I've encountered so far has been of less than stellar quality...and my old albums are beat!

The series I'm referring to are the Stetson Richmond-Alf Wateska recordings from the 50s through 70s. Richmond died in '73 and I think Wateska's last recordings were made around 1980. I assume DCA would have to reissue their post-Fleetwood era championship recordings.

The series I'm referring to are the Stetson Richmond-Alf Wateska recordings from the 50s through 70s. Richmond died in '73 and I think Wateska's last recordings were made around 1980. I assume DCA would have to reissue their post-Fleetwood era championship recordings.

I don't doubt you're correct...I remember seeing some old Fleetwood albums that an old friend had.

As a side note.. I recently contacted Marice Stith, who did the DCA recordings during the 70's and 80's (and maybe later, who knows) and they apparently don't have the master tapes any longer..but DO have SOME albums left...I inquired about my marching years, and hope to hear back soon.

It's just a shame that a LOT of these recordings haven't been properly archived!

• 1 month later...

I don't doubt you're correct...I remember seeing some old Fleetwood albums that an old friend had.

As a side note.. I recently contacted Marice Stith, who did the DCA recordings during the 70's and 80's (and maybe later, who knows) and they apparently don't have the master tapes any longer..but DO have SOME albums left...I inquired about my marching years, and hope to hear back soon.

It's just a shame that a LOT of these recordings haven't been properly archived!

they had a fire way back when and they were destroyed. so they just don't have them.

• 3 weeks later...

they had a fire way back when and they were destroyed. so they just don't have them.

you are absolutely correct about the Fleetwood/Drum Corps News fire back when destroying masters...

As for Maurice Stith, they did great work (he did, with his partner John "Chooch" Laskowski)... Maurice was working out of Ithaca NY... I was always told that John Laskowski's daughter in Florida had the masters but certainly Maurice would know...

speaking of old recordings...

Here is a lead that none of you know about... another Rochester guy recorded a number of shows in the 60's and early 70's... and I think he might have masters still... and he's reappeared as a drum corps photographer - he is amazing by the way... Dave Valvo... saw him shooting at Bill's stadium DCI show on 8/5... his web site is easy to find... you guys might ask him although his career has been in photography and he's quite good at it, I believe he has access to the audio stuff from back then.

you are absolutely correct about the Fleetwood/Drum Corps News fire back when destroying masters...

As for Maurice Stith, they did great work (he did, with his partner John "Chooch" Laskowski)... Maurice was working out of Ithaca NY... I was always told that John Laskowski's daughter in Florida had the masters but certainly Maurice would know...

I sent an email to Kathie from Stith (who I've been in contact with recently) to see what she may know about the masters of those old records. As I said, I DO know that they have some albums of various years available, but if we could locate the master tapes, if they still exist, I can see a MAJOR market for these recordings to get put out there!

I'll keep you posted!

speaking of old recordings...

Here is a lead that none of you know about... another Rochester guy recorded a number of shows in the 60's and early 70's... and I think he might have masters still... and he's reappeared as a drum corps photographer - he is amazing by the way... Dave Valvo... saw him shooting at Bill's stadium DCI show on 8/5... his web site is easy to find... you guys might ask him although his career has been in photography and he's quite good at it, I believe he has access to the audio stuff from back then.

i remember him. your right he may have the audio from back then.

and what ever happened to wally filkins films? does anybody have them? he had some great stuff from back in the day. a lot of cru and brigs stuff.

OK, here's what I got from Stith:

"I don't recall hearing about a fire but I do believe that my Dad gave what he had to John Laskowski quite a long time ago. I'll keep your email in case I ever come across any DAT recordings from DCA. It's possible we might have some laying around here from years past but I don't even know where to start looking. If I ever come across any I'll be sure to get in contact with you. "

So it looks like the fire might not be the case unless the fire was with the Laskowski's....anyone know how to contact them?

I'd be willing to bet if someone could get those master tapes (if they still exist and are usable) there would be a LOT of people willing to get these distributed...Look at what DCI did with some of the more historical stuff. Looking at some of the "old school" presence here, and on Facebook, I'm sure there's a market for them...even if each individual corps would be willing to distribute them.