'The Beat Goes On” historic drum corps recordings

Fleetwood had a big fire in the mid 70s which wiped out their stock of vinyl and the master tapes IIRC. Thinking around 1975/76 as I had bought one of their early 1960s re-issues out of DCN. Then before I could buy another one, everything got wiped out.

The CDs that are being sold by Fleetwood now are albums people still had and were cleaned up by "computer magic". I remember searching their site a few years back when they were still looking for albums that might be stashed somewhere. Think they might have found them all but not sure.

PS - "Beat Goes On" is separate from Fleetwood IIRC.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

OK, here's what I got from Stith:

"I don't recall hearing about a fire but I do believe that my Dad gave what he had to John Laskowski quite a long time ago. I'll keep your email in case I ever come across any DAT recordings from DCA. It's possible we might have some laying around here from years past but I don't even know where to start looking. If I ever come across any I'll be sure to get in contact with you. "

So it looks like the fire might not be the case unless the fire was with the Laskowski's....anyone know how to contact them?

I'd be willing to bet if someone could get those master tapes (if they still exist and are usable) there would be a LOT of people willing to get these distributed...Look at what DCI did with some of the more historical stuff. Looking at some of the "old school" presence here, and on Facebook, I'm sure there's a market for them...even if each individual corps would be willing to distribute them.

the was a fire. it is why they are not around. i remember the fire. and fleetwood announced about the masters. keep in mind 1968 DCA was not recorded. so it never existed. there is the pittsburgh show and baltimore from 68 but that's it. and it's from the beat goes on.

Fleetwood had a big fire in the mid 70s which wiped out their stock of vinyl and the master tapes IIRC. Thinking around 1975/76 as I had bought one of their early 1960s re-issues out of DCN. Then before I could buy another one, everything got wiped out.

The CDs that are being sold by Fleetwood now are albums people still had and were cleaned up by "computer magic". I remember searching their site a few years back when they were still looking for albums that might be stashed somewhere. Think they might have found them all but not sure.

PS - "Beat Goes On" is separate from Fleetwood IIRC.

i went to drum corps world to find the beat goes on.

the was a fire. it is why they are not around. i remember the fire. and fleetwood announced about the masters. keep in mind 1968 DCA was not recorded. so it never existed. there is the pittsburgh show and baltimore from 68 but that's it. and it's from the beat goes on.

The Skyliners recording from 68 was from the Syracuse show ... not sure who recorded it ... maybe Stetson? ... someone then married it up with an 8/16mm video from the Dream ... didn't come out too bad ... I have it around somewhere ... why Fleetwood (or anyone) didn't show up at DCA in 68 boggles the mind ...

:-)

The Skyliners recording from 68 was from the Syracuse show ... not sure who recorded it ... maybe Stetson? ... someone then married it up with an 8/16mm video from the Dream ... didn't come out too bad ... I have it around somewhere ... why Fleetwood (or anyone) didn't show up at DCA in 68 boggles the mind ...

:-)

yeah i always wondered why they didn't either. i remember when we took the field and din't see any mikes i turned to another guy and asked him did he see any. what a shame. a great show lost forever.

couple things...

the 68 Syracuse recording was done by John Laskowski (who was show chairman) and Maurice Stith...

I'm also wondering that since there's no recordings of 68 DCA, if there might be video of that show in the large group of film that was provided to DCA by Tom Nasman of the Crusaders... may very well be - just not sure... I know Mike Symonds would love to do something with that stuff some day... but it's job 11 on a list of 10 things to do and is an absolute NIGHTMARE legal wise... which I'm also sure is the major reason we haven't seen them...

Frank Dorritte and I were just comparing notes on that show and as great as 72 dca was, Brigadiers and Sunrisers horn lines in 68 were amazing... Sun and Brigs had a mutual admiration society that year brass wise...

Edited by TomPeashey

OK, I'm officially confused (not a surprise).... Who did John Laskowski and Maurice Stiith work with/for or did they work by themselves? I remember seeing Stiths name on albums from my day but can't remember the details. And JL I never knew recorded until this thread.

Related note: Just spent an Amazon gift card on a recording of Skokie Indians. Haven't heard it yet as plan to burn it to CD first time I play it, probably after DCA. Guessing a studio recording.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

OK, I'm officially confused (not a surprise).... Who did John Laskowski and Maurice Stiith work with/for or did they work by themselves? I remember seeing Stiths name on albums from my day but can't remember the details. And JL I never knew recorded until this thread.

Related note: Just spent an Amazon gift card on a recording of Skokie Indians. Haven't heard it yet as plan to burn it to CD first time I play it, probably after DCA. Guessing a studio recording.

I THINK it was just a case of Stith being the recording company, and JL being the DCA rep for the official merchandise. Maybe since he was the rep, they transferred the masters to him since DCA probably holds the licensing...hard to say.

• 2 months later...

The Fleetwood fire apparently destroyed the 1958-1972 masters. Fleetwood stopped recording drum corps after the 1972 DCA championships. The Stith-Laskowski DCA recordings came later. So the folks running DCA didn't keep track of where the master tapes were stored, year to year? Apparently not.

And nobody knows why Fleetwood (or Stet Richmond) didn't record the 1968 championships at Aquinas Stadium? I attended the show as a kid. The lights were obviously on that night, so the generator was working and there was electricity in the stadium. Very strange and a real shame.

The Fleetwood fire apparently destroyed the 1958-1972 masters. Fleetwood stopped recording drum corps after the 1972 DCA championships. The Stith-Laskowski DCA recordings came later. So the folks running DCA didn't keep track of where the master tapes were stored, year to year? Apparently not.

And nobody knows why Fleetwood (or Stet Richmond) didn't record the 1968 championships at Aquinas Stadium? I attended the show as a kid. The lights were obviously on that night, so the generator was working and there was electricity in the stadium. Very strange and a real shame.

i have fleetwood recordings going up to 1977. so i don't know where you got that info but it's wrong. and they made some after that but i didn't buy them.