'The Beat Goes On” historic drum corps recordings

i have fleetwood recordings going up to 1977. so i don't know where you got that info but it's wrong. and they made some after that but i didn't buy them.

I got my information from the record albums! If you own them, take a look. For example, 1973 & 1974 were made by CRS records. Says so on the album covers and in big letters on the labels. 1975 were made by Drum Corps News. Again, plainly says so right on the albums and the records themselves.

I got my information from the record albums! If you own them, take a look. For example, 1973 & 1974 were made by CRS records. Says so on the album covers and in big letters on the labels. 1975 were made by Drum Corps News. Again, plainly says so right on the albums and the records themselves.

i have cd's. my albums got lost in a move. and i looked and it say's nothing about who made them. so i digress..........you may be right.

From Fleetwood's current website:

The Fleetwood Drum and Bugle Corps CD series has been digitally re-mastered from original recordings produced by Fleetwood from 1958-1975. The latest digital recording and mastering technology has been used to provide the best quality recordings possible. The actual cover and liner note artwork has been reformatted for CD and is reproduced exactly as on the original albums.

A fire at our company in 1975 destroyed them all (the original Masters), along with artwork.

Edited by ajlisko

From Fleetwood's current website:

The Fleetwood Drum and Bugle Corps CD series has been digitally re-mastered from original recordings produced by Fleetwood from 1958-1975. The latest digital recording and mastering technology has been used to provide the best quality recordings possible. The actual cover and liner note artwork has been reformatted for CD and is reproduced exactly as on the original albums.

A fire at our company in 1975 destroyed them all (the original Masters), along with artwork.

Just went there now and looked at the 1975 and 1976 covers. They have the DCN numbers on the cover (one of the DCA albums is DCN1016). 1972 has the Fleetwood "FCLPxxxx" numbering scheme. Go figure but think I bought my CD copy of 1975 Dream from Fleetwood. Heavens knows I wore the grooves out on the Sr vinyl I had.

Also no DCA Finals listed for 1973-1974.....

Interesting as the CD section on the home page has: "Fleetwood Drum & Bugle Corps albums are Back!! From our archives, Fleetwood will begin releasing its entire catalog from 1958-1980 digitally remastered with original artwork on CD. Watch this website for new releases of CDs! Tell your friends." And the "about Fleetwood" has the years Andy posted.

Now it's 1980 and starting to release? Thought few years back they were posting that they had finally found copies of all the Feeltwood albums.

Corn-fusing eh....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This is not a figment of my imagination :) Photographic evidence:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-D-C-A-CHAMPIONSHIP-vol-1-Sept-1973-Aquinas-Stadium-Rochester-NY-Drum-Bugle-/350249786879

A 1973 DCA Championship album is currently for sale on ebay. Double click on the album cover--you will see CRS Records on both the cover and the record label itself. Click on the back of the album cover and you'll see at the bottom in the small print -- CRS Records, Inc. a division of Connecticut Recording Studios in Bridgeport, Conn. Same deal with the 1974 DCA albums. 1975 albums were made by Drum Corps News, and the 1976 albums say D.C.N., which obviously stands for Drum Corps News. There was some sort of relationship between Drum Corps News & Fleetwood back in the day, so that probably explains why the current Fleetwood Sounds CD company has reissued the 1975 DCA albums. But notice the 73-74 DCA albums have not been reissued by Fleetwood Sounds.

On the other hand, Fleetwood Sounds has also reissued on CD some of the 1972-1973 DCI record albums, which obviously were not made by the original Fleetwood record company. So not everything now being sold by Fleetwood Sounds was actually produced by the old Fleetwood. Yes, it's confusing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-D-C-A-CHAMPIONSHIP-vol-1-Sept-1973-Aquinas-Stadium-Rochester-NY-Drum-Bugle-/350249786879

A 1973 DCA Championship album is currently for sale on ebay. Double click on the album cover--you will see CRS Records on both the cover and the record label itself. Click on the back of the album cover and you'll see at the bottom in the small print -- CRS Records, Inc. a division of Connecticut Recording Studios in Bridgeport, Conn. Same deal with the 1974 DCA albums. 1975 albums were made by Drum Corps News, and the 1976 albums say D.C.N., which obviously stands for Drum Corps News. There was some sort of relationship between Drum Corps News & Fleetwood back in the day, so that probably explains why the current Fleetwood Sounds CD company has reissued the 1975 DCA albums. But notice the 73-74 DCA albums have not been reissued by Fleetwood Sounds.

On the other hand, Fleetwood Sounds has also reissued on CD some of the 1972-1973 DCI record albums, which obviously were not made by the original Fleetwood record company. So not everything now being sold by Fleetwood Sounds was actually produced by the old Fleetwood. Yes, it's confusing.

The relationship between DCN and Fleetwood is Ray Samora, the late founder of both.

Nanci, I think I bought my "Brass, Chrome and Gold" (ca 1960 Reilly, Archie, Prince, Cabs) around 1976 and fire was about a year later. Looked at the website in the Sports area and see recording there going up to 1980 (KC Royals). So guess that answers the home pages DC tab saying 1980 as it says up to 1980 on both DC and Sports tabs.

Now how the heck they were doing records after the fire is beyond me. And see the 1980 album has what looks like a Fleetwood number on the cover (FS 3119).

Edit: Website says fire was in 1975... (just thought to look)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The relationship between DCN and Fleetwood is Ray Samora, the late founder of both.

From Fleetwood's web site:

The Fleetwood Drum and Bugle Corp story…….

In 1958, from a converted supermarket in Revere, Massachusetts, Fleetwood Recording Co. was born. Richard I. Blake, the future editor of Drum Corp News walked in to his cousin, Raymond G. Samora’s supermarket with an idea for recording Drum and Bugle Corp competitions. Here are the actual liner notes from the first album ever produced by Fleetwood. “On July 31,1958 in the auditorium of the Eastern Standard Oil Co. in Everett MA, side A of the Princemen was recorded, side B was recorded on August 23, 1958 in actual competition at the 7th annual senior Drum and Bugle Corps competition at Hawkins Stadium, Albany NY”. From that day on Fleetwood traveled throughout the U.S. and Canada every summer for 20 years producing over 300 albums. Along the way we began publishing Drum Corp News and ran our own major competition, the “World Open Championships” and a favorite winter escape the exhibitions called “An Evening with the Corps” at Carnegie and Symphony Halls. No one would dispute that Fleetwood Records was a major force in developing the popularity of Drum and Bugle Corps in those early days.

:-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

no... no one can dispute the contributions of Fleetwood and Drum Corps News... both Ray Samora and Dick Blake were great to work with...

As a snot nosed (rather precocious) teenager in drum corps, I actually managed to maintain a local drum corps weekly radio show in Central New York during much of the 60's. Fleetwood provided almost every album they made to me at no cost. Fond memories.

Not too long before I got married in 1969, the owner of the radio station turned me into a morning drive time disc jockey... You never know what you might get because of drum corps.