Favorite Drum Major/Conductor

For sheer animation on the podium....BD charter DM Dave Dugan (who ELSE can spank himself during "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" and get away with it?)

I mentioned that one. Those BD drum majors in the mid to late 70s always looked like they were having the best time in the world up on the podium. :thumbup:

Mike Zapanta - Santa Clara Vanguard 1979 to 1982

Wasn't he voted "Least Likely to Present a Proper Downbeat?" Relive 1982's "Bottle Dance"---the LAST time they ever pulled it out just for Finals. He added a count before the "dance" started, and it all fell apart. It's really uncomfortable to watch.

On behalf of teenage girls everywhre........... Dean Patterson, he's so dreamy!!!

Ok I digress, I too love to see a female DM. Power & grace in equal measures.

• Like 1

Here's one that not too many people would have even seen, but last year's drum major from Tampa Bay Thunder (DCA) was fabulous. We got to see them at our home show. Young girl with a great deal of talent, poise and presence on the podium. I can't even remember her name but I was very impressed with her confidence on the podium.

Dan

The roll Drum Majors have changed over the years. DM's still hold a leadership rolls during practice and everyday tour life just like they did in the past but, the big difference is on the field! Along with the duties of keeping time, Drum Majors in the past were Showmen, Entertainers, larger than life! Now, Drum Majors are human metronomes, on occasion they'll play a bit part in the shows theatrics. After the the salute at the beginning of the show, I rarely watch the drum major anymore.

I gave you the + to balance this out. You are spot on with this. What's worse is this "Style" of DM is filtering down to the HS level. Having had the opportunity to judge this at that level, I find it hard to give young DM's constructive comments on even the basics of showmanship like acknowledging your audience when I know that they are not in control of their individual presentation and simply doing what is being ask of them by the staff. The reality is that when the "train jumps the tracks" the only possible person who can try to correct it is a DM who is in control of the unit and their own show.

He was mentioned earlier and I thought I would see his name more but my vote is George Parks of the Buccaneers. There are many generations of DM's who are and have performed at the DCI and DCA that attended his Drum Major Academy and not only learned how to conduct but how to be a field leader as well as entertain their audience.

Edited by jkmummer
  • Like 1