Preseason Performances

I think he was ranting on BK not Cadets...not sure how anyone gets much out of bad quality videos in June...

I agree... its almost as pointless as trying to draw observations of 1970's, 80's Drum Corps music performances off of 1970's, 80's crappy audio technologies which are not any better than this BK practice that was taken off of a subpar and bad quality 2013 technology.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I agree... its almost as pointless as trying to draw observations of 1970's, 80's Drum Corps music performances off of 1970's, 80's crappy audio technologies which are not any better than this BK practice that was taken off of a subpar and bad quality 2013 technology.

\

yes, what he just said..

It doesn't take 1080p Super HD mega Blu Ray to see some feet not moving in time and other visual aspects that weren't clear when compared to other JUNE videos released by other corps. But you know. That slow horn snap was probably just the "subpar and bad quality 2013 technology"'s fault, am I right?

• Like 5

Yes the audio technologles are subpar you are right.

It doesn't take 1080p Super HD mega Blu Ray to see some feet not moving in time and other visual aspects that weren't clear when compared to other JUNE videos released by other corps. But you know. That slow horn snap was probably just the "subpar and bad quality 2013 technology"'s fault, am I right?

The only things you cant rightfully make out with phone cameras and other sub-par equipment would really be balance and possibly tone. You can still tell when things are out of tune, and when there is feet in the sound. Now this isn't necessarily ragging on anyone in the videos of this thread, as much as it is ragging on the almost political correctness of people always saying "Its just the camera".

I've heard them in other clips that I'm not at liberty to share. The have a better hornlike than 2011! Maybe a combination of fatigued run or off a bit. But staff and members tell me they feel very confident going into tour!! They feel this is a very special Corps this year

• Like 1

Thoughts of the preseason stuff I've seen, since the season starts next week. Some of these are from personal connections, I'll keep those vague out of respect.

Blue Devils - Absolutely phenomenal. This could be my favorite music book for them, maybe 2nd behind 1995, but it's incredible already. It's going to be an uphill battle for anyone to dethrone them.

Blue Knights - Hoping it was the quality, but it did seem kinda rough in that video. Drumline sounded great though, as well as front ensemble.

Blue Stars - Watch out, they're coming back hard. All I will say.

Bluecoats - Seems different for them, but in a good way. Looking forward to seeing this show in its entireity.

Cadets - They were solid in every caption, it just did absolutely nothing for me emotionally. I know this show will change, A LOT, so I'm hopeful that I'll end up loving it.

Carolina Crown - They have the bones of a great show. They need to figure out a few things and change a few things in the show, but they'll be as good as last year in my opinion.

Colts - No personal connections here, just caught some vids throughout the spring before they were taken down. Going to be an upbeat, fun, and crowd pleasing show. If you liked "All by Myself" last year, you're going to love this.

Phantom Regiment - Some absolutely incredible musical moments (The opener, wow) that just need to be woven together, which was a problem the last two years, so I think this will be fixed. Nimrod seems a little bit too flamboyant in my opinion, but otherwise, a great music book.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Going to be a fan favorite. Closer seems like it will be replaced, but an incredible show. Brass has some magic that I haven't heard from them in quite a few years. Percussion is fantastic as always. Going to be good!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

For those who aren't on Hopkins' Christmas card list:

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22178&news_iv_ctrl=1002

2 things I pulled from this that make me go, "Hmmm".:

1- If this is their 80th season, why, in 2009, did they do their drill tribute in the closer to it being their 75th year? Were they a year late, or were they celebrating 75 years fielding a corps vs 80 years of an organization?

2- I know it's DCA, but Cadets 2 will ALSO be doing Les Mis this season. I just find that interesting. (Yes, I know Cadets performed that show in 89).

2 things I pulled from this that make me go, "Hmmm".:

1- If this is their 80th season, why, in 2009, did they do their drill tribute in the closer to it being their 75th year? Were they a year late, or were they celebrating 75 years fielding a corps vs 80 years of an organization?

2- I know it's DCA, but Cadets 2 will ALSO be doing Les Mis this season. I just find that interesting. (Yes, I know Cadets performed that show in 89).

When one is born, one begins one's first year which ends on one's first birthday; the day after begins one's second year.

The corps was founded in1934. Last night's concert, the beefsteak dinner tonite, the Mass tomorrow begin the 80th year which will end in 2014 probably with a big get together as the 75th had.

The WSS season in '09 completed the 75th year as will the first contest of the 2014 season start completing the 80th year; think of it as a summer long birthday party.

Yup, C2 is doing what Cadets previously did in '89 and they announced it last summer.

Edited by drilltech1