All's well that ends well

All's well that ends well, which means that problems do not matter so long as the outcome is good.

With respect to a drum corps show, do any of you have thoughts about a show that started slow or had issues but the outcome was good?

Can a good ending resurrect a lackluster design or performance? Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Spartucus in '08 if I'm correct yes? They trailed in 4th all season and started to push to first close to/during Finals....someone want to verify this?

• Like 1

Spartucus in '08 if I'm correct yes? They trailed in 4th all season and started to push to first close to/during Finals....someone want to verify this?

Amazing, that was the show that I was thinking about, what an incredible ending.

• Like 1

Madison 2007. If I recall they were really under a lot of fire for the show design. The rework of that show's first few minutes was AMAZING. I still love it.

Cavies Mad World....all new staff, started the season in the 5th/6th spot. Remember watching the show in June and thinking WTF! I believe it was right around San Antonio that they started to make their push then never looked back.

• Like 3

Cadets many seasons: design "issues" (by that I just mean constant tinkering figuring out what's best) + performance clarity (often due to super challenging design aspects) early season. I remember they were pretty rough early season 1992, coming in 6th at Preview of Champions Prelims and 5th at Finals before shaping up in Madison at Finals and achieving 2nd.

Madison 2007. If I recall they were really under a lot of fire for the show design. The rework of that show's first few minutes was AMAZING. I still love it.

Saw them rehearse early season, either first or second week of tour. They were in the middle of learning some transition out of the opener on a show day. This was the first of many rewrites due to the original drill being godawful. Everyone looked either tired, defeated, angry or injured. When I talked to one of the long-time staff members, all I got out of him was gallows humor (the closest he got to complimenting the show design was comparing the segmented Fleur-de-Lis motif in the drill to 'Where's Waldo').

To go from total disillusionment in the early season to what they put out in Pasedena still deserves a lot of credit. I know every non-finalist corps says this, but I sincerely think if the season was another 2 weeks longer, they would've at least been on the edge of finals.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar