Standing-O's for participating?

On our local Saturday morning talk radio there is a sports-talk program that feeds the Ohio sports fans a steady diet of discussion and statistical fodder. Last Saturday the host, a well-known local sports authority, railed about the tendency of fans to give kids who participate in sports a standing-O even when they lose their game. The discussion drew several callers who disagreed, but most callers agreed with his viewpoint that standing-O's should be reserved for the exceptional performances only.

The sports program is usually just background noise for me while I work in the garden or around the house but, of course, I related it directly to our standard practice in this activity. At nearly every drum corps show I've ever been to over 40 years the audience rewards the performance of even the lowest-placing corps a standing-O when their performance is over.

Why do we do that? Are we just watering down expectation or, worse, diminishing the importance of the standing-O for the truly exceptional performance?

Edited by garfield

I stand up to clap after every corps performance, regardless. Some more enthusiastic than others, but everyone gets a standing O from me.

Members in the smaller corps are always punished by indifferent fans (or fans who don't show up until the bigger corps are on). This attitude perpetuates the "auditioning for a top corps or bust" mentality that wrecks smaller corps. To me, trying to bolster those guys doesn't equate to the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality.

/thread

Not every youth sports team gives a great deal of time, effort, blood, sweat, tears, etc., to what they do. I've never seen a drum corps (in my admittedly short time around the activity) at any level or in any circuit that didn't bust their collective arses for their show, no matter the final placement, so I almost always give a corps a standing O.

• Like 4

I stand up to clap after every corps performance, regardless. Some more enthusiastic than others, but everyone gets a standing O from me.

Members in the smaller corps are always punished by indifferent fans (or fans who don't show up until the bigger corps are on). This attitude perpetuates the "auditioning for a top corps or bust" mentality that wrecks smaller corps. To me, trying to bolster those guys doesn't equate to the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality.

I stay seated for a show or two in the Top 5 or so every year. It's hard to tell, since everyone else around me is usually standing.

• Like 4

Regarding spontaneous standing ovations, that's easy. There are performances each year that just gets you out of your seat without even thinking about it.

But typically, I do stand up to clap after the end of the show regardless if it's technically great or not. The activity is made up of kids who work their tails off to produce a show, not only for our entertainment, but because they want to produce something bigger than they are as individuals. For that, they deserve our recognition and cheer. It may not be a spontaneous standing-O, but it's out of respect and appreciation for what they've accomplished.

• Like 2

At nearly every drum corps show I've ever been to over 40 years the audience rewards the performance of even the lowest-placing corps a standing-O when their performance is over.

Why do we do that? Are we just watering down expectation or, worse, diminishing the importance of the standing-O for the truly exceptional performance?

No, I think that EVERY participant in drum corps deserves our admiration for their dedication and efforts, which is why I always stand and applaud in appreciation for each corps, no matter where they place. For me, anyway, placements make no difference at all.

• Like 2