Social media, show reviews and feedback for 2013

The last couple of years, I have live-Tweeted at shows and written several reviews for posting here on DCP. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, particularly for the live-Tweeting. However, when it comes to show reviews, there is a certain vocal minority who tend to respond to my (and others) reviews either publicly in the thread or via private message with vitriol and contempt.

Many show reviewers have simply stopped bothering to write here on DCP as a result of general nastiness. I'm not talking about simple debating or taking an opposing view to something written... debate is excellent. I'm specifically talking about readers who think that because someone has been critical of their favorite corps' performance the reviewer must somehow be biased against them or hate that corps. It's worse when it's members, staff, or in one particular case, a corps director that crosses the line. When I Tweet or review, I'm giving you my honest assessment of what I have seen and heard, based on years as a marching member and staff member of several DCI and DCA corps. It's evident that other reviewers are doing the same thing.

I was seriously considering live-Tweeting only, and not writing any show reviews on DCP this year. However, after discussing it with some DCP members I trust, have decided to take one more stab at it. I'll be writing a post-Wildwood review, and I encourage others to do so as well.

Having said that, if you choose to take issue or rebut what I (or any other commentor) says, think before you write. Attack the issue, not the person, and remember that the writer, whether the reviewer or fellow commentor, just might have more experience and know more than you do. Debate me. Correct me where I've made a factual error. Do the same for others.

But how about we all, myself included, have a little respect for the people that take the time to write show reviews. If we don't, we might find there aren't any left. Leave the jack##### at the door, ok?

You can follow me on Twitter via @loudbrass. I'll be live Tweeting from Wildwood this weekend. I'm fine with someone reposting my Tweets in the DCP show thread as well.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 6

Kamarag,

In this politically correct America, where excuses rule the day and no one is responsible for anything, unless what one writes is all lollipops and puppies, you WILL be attacked. I know this firsthand. It's disappointing.

No matter, I truly hope you put the time and effort into reviewing for us all the shows you attend. You always do a good job. As you know, even critical remarks are helpful. Actually, more helpful and thought provoking than platitudes. Please show the energy and courage to put your thoughts on paper. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

John, bring on your reviews... I look forward to them!!!

• Like 2

Just an addendum...

My intent in posting this missive wasn't to go fishing for my own encouragement, but rather to help bolster encouragement for other potential reviewers. I'm also hoping we get everyone who might potentially reply to adhere to Wheaton's Law of the Internet. Emphasis on "hoping".

• Like 1

I always look fiorward to your reviews, as you do mine. I won't do much live online reviewing, and in fact, this year reviewing gets a new challenge in August...the 14 month old at a drum corps show with Daddy LOL.

Anyone that responds negatively i'll warn you now...I'll sedpond as I usually do...I'll make fun of you.

:tongue:/>

Just an addendum...

My intent in posting this missive wasn't to go fishing for my own encouragement, but rather to help bolster encouragement for other potential reviewers. I'm also hoping we get everyone who might potentially reply to adhere to Wheaton's Law of the Internet. Emphasis on "hoping".

Hey, if I had the time, or inclination, I would post reviews. And I have the added benefit of not caring what anyone thinks of my opinion! After all, my opinion is every bit as worthless as yours or anyone else's!

• Like 2