Hitorical Barnum Festival footage - 1962

Andy, thanks for posting the video! It is the first time this old Appleknocker junior corps member has ever seen the senior corps in action 😄.

... and I finally found the scores ...

1. Cabs 82.39
2. Hurcs 81.64
3. Roch Crusaders 81.19
4. Criterions 78.76
5. Sunrisers 75.43
6. Appleknockers 72.85

Took a quick look and realize sum' thin' else historic here.... At the :57 or so mark see a contra going by in the Cabs. Might be the first year Cabs or anyone else had them. Thanks to NancisDs blog for finding that out....

• 2 weeks later...

Took a quick look and realize sum' thin' else historic here.... At the :57 or so mark see a contra going by in the Cabs. Might be the first year Cabs or anyone else had them. Thanks to NancisDs blog for finding that out....

Cabs contra in 62? Think the first WR model used were by Garfield or Toronto Optimists. Could be wrong on that, can anybody confirm?

>>Cabs contra in 62? Think the first WR model used were by Garfield or Toronto Optimists. Could be wrong on that, can anybody confirm?<<

As I recall, the first "baby" Getzen's were used by Garfield, St. Raphael's and Hawthorne in 62 ... other corps incorporated them throughout 63 and 64, with the Royal Airs (as history tells) being the last national power to put them on the field in late 65 or early 66 ... I don't think any Jr corps got more "sound" out of them than Selden in 64 though ... their opening fanfare at the WO sounded incredible ... Bunce really knew how to get the most out of them right Glenn? ... St. Kevin's did a bang up job on them also ...

:-)

Great video Andy. I noticed the contras too. According to my sources, Garfield and the Cabs bought contras together and both started to use them in '62. And "yes", Bob Bunce got them to really fill in the bottom in '64. By '64, contras were all over the place...along with the first mellophones (Interstatesmen and shortly thereafter the Marksmen). Great video of Scout House...real gold.

Thanks for posting this.

Glenn

>>According to my sources, Garfield and the Cabs bought contras together and both started to use them in '62.<<

Yes ... Garfield and the Cabs bought the first two chrome contras ... St. Raphael's bought the first "brass lacquer" model ... all three were in use early in 62 at the DCN Eastern Standstill Championship show in New Haven ... Selden was there too - remember?

I wasn't old enough yet... :cool: . I joined Smithtown (the Plebes) in '63. I remember seeing St. Raphael's contras early on. I saw Selden at parades. To me they were awesome. By '64, I was hooked and watched everyone I could. My parents schlepped us to Roosevelt Stadium for a couple of Dream contests starting in '61. Great shows...great place to get hooked on drum corps. So was the Barnum Festival (don't want to hijack the thread). I can check my recordings to find out when Toronto started to use the Whaley Royce Imperial contras. I know they didn't have them in '62. The first Whaley Royce contras I heard was St. Joseph's Patron Cadets (to later become St. Rita's Brassmen) in 1966. Wow what a hornline (all Whaley Royce).

>>According to my sources, Garfield and the Cabs bought contras together and both started to use them in '62.<<

Yes ... Garfield and the Cabs bought the first two chrome contras ... St. Raphael's bought the first "brass lacquer" model ... all three were in use early in 62 at the DCN Eastern Standstill Championship show in New Haven ... Selden was there too - remember?

Two Glenn's responding Andy. The two contras in 64 Selden were Paul Auster and my brother Leo. Two ex Skyliners, Paul before and after and Leo after. Bunce loved big sound out of 36 horns. When I joined in 63, I stood on the sideline and could not believe how huge they sounded with 24 horns. He also jacked up the sound in the NY Kingsmen's opening fanfare in 66 with playing the DM onto the field. Yeah, 62 New Haven was a big show. Artie Greig was the DM then.

1962%20DCN%20Cartoon.jpg

• Like 2