Hitorical Barnum Festival footage - 1962

I wasn't old enough yet... :cool: . I joined Smithtown (the Plebes) in '63. I remember seeing St. Raphael's contras early on. I saw Selden at parades. To me they were awesome. By '64, I was hooked and watched everyone I could. My parents schlepped us to Roosevelt Stadium for a couple of Dream contests starting in '61. Great shows...great place to get hooked on drum corps. So was the Barnum Festival (don't want to hijack the thread). I can check my recordings to find out when Toronto started to use the Whaley Royce Imperial contras. I know they didn't have them in '62. The first Whaley Royce contras I heard was St. Joseph's Patron Cadets (to later become St. Rita's Brassmen) in 1966. Wow what a hornline (all Whaley Royce).

Weren't the NY Kingsmen (Bronx Kingsmen to us old-timers) also Whalley Royce basses in 1966?

Just trying to keep it real here...

... and I finally found the scores ...

1. Cabs 82.39
2. Hurcs 81.64
3. Roch Crusaders 81.19
4. Criterions 78.76
5. Sunrisers 75.43
6. Appleknockers 72.85

God I forgot the Criterions! Weren't they a Bunce line?

Was Allen Smythe there? or some crazy guy with a whip?

I was wicked young - I'm just left with images is all.

They beat Sun!!! Wow!

gtkube, on 21 May 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

I wasn't old enough yet... . I joined Smithtown (the Plebes) in '63. I remember seeing St. Raphael's contras early on. I saw Selden at parades. To me they were awesome. By '64, I was hooked and watched everyone I could. My parents schlepped us to Roosevelt Stadium for a couple of Dream contests starting in '61. Great shows...great place to get hooked on drum corps. So was the Barnum Festival (don't want to hijack the thread). I can check my recordings to find out when Toronto started to use the Whaley Royce Imperial contras. I know they didn't have them in '62. The first Whaley Royce contras I heard was St. Joseph's Patron Cadets (to later become St. Rita's Brassmen) in 1966. Wow what a hornline (all Whaley Royce).

Weren't the NY Kingsmen (Bronx Kingsmen to us old-timers) also Whalley Royce basses in 1966?

Just trying to keep it real here...

They might have Ray. I saw SJP in early June and the Kingsmen a few weeks later at Gaelic Park....

Therefore, I stand by my statement (LOL)....

Real it is...

Glenn

• Like 1

... and I finally found the scores ...

1. Cabs 82.39
2. Hurcs 81.64
3. Roch Crusaders 81.19
4. Criterions 78.76
5. Sunrisers 75.43
6. Appleknockers 72.85

That's quite a line up. Thanks for posting this. I never saw the Hurcs in those unis except in parades...62' was the last year for them.

This was indeed the "Golden Era" of drum corps.....what illustrates this (and this blows my mind) is that less than 10 miles away, on the same night just up Rt 1 in Milford was another senior show! Here's that line up & results;

June 30th. 1962 Milford, Conn.

Drum Corps on Parade

1. Skyliners 87.40

2. Buccaneers 83.08

3. Reilly Raiders 82.10

4. Archer- Epler 80.94

5. Yankee Rebels 80.14

That was then....this is now. Draw your own conclussions!

That's quite a line up. Thanks for posting this. I never saw the Hurcs in those unis except in parades...62' was the last year for them.

This was indeed the "Golden Era" of drum corps.....what illustrates this (and this blows my mind) is that less than 10 miles away, on the same night just up Rt 1 in Milford was another senior show! Here's that line up & results;

Drum Corps on Parade

1. Skyliners 87.40

2. Buccaneers 83.08

3. Reilly Raiders 82.10

4. Archer- Epler 80.94

5. Yankee Rebels 80.14

Not thinking of drawing conclusions..... which show should we go to...... :wow:

Interesting all 5 of the Milford corps have/had Alumni type groups over the years. And *sigh* 6 of the 11 (both shows) are no longer competing.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Drum Corps on Parade

1. Skyliners 87.40

2. Buccaneers 83.08

3. Reilly Raiders 82.10

4. Archer- Epler 80.94

5. Yankee Rebels 80.14

Wow, who wasn't there in CT. that night? Brigs, Marksmen, Lt. N. Prince, Carver, Interstatesmen, Amboy Dukes?

Edited by gsksun4

from corpsreps

June 30, 1962

Rochester NY

14th Annual Tournament of Drums

STADIUM: Aquinas Stadium

1 Interstatesmen 80.800

2 Guelph Royalaires 74.400

3 Springfield Marksmen 73.800

4 Carver Gay Blades 65.250

5 Les Troubadours 56.650

OK.... where were the WSM-Bonnie Scots?????

Edited by JimF-LowBari

from corpsreps

June 30, 1962

Rochester NY

14th Annual Tournament of Drums

STADIUM: Aquinas Stadium

1 Interstatesmen 80.800

2 Guelph Royalaires 74.400

3 Springfield Marksmen 73.800

4 Carver Gay Blades 65.250

5 Les Troubadours 56.650

OK.... where were the WSM-Bonnie Scots?????

How bout that....The Crusaders were in Bridgeport while a show was going on in their own home town!