Hitorical Barnum Festival footage - 1962

Andy, you are probably aware of this, the first contra bass register instrument was designed by Whaley Royce for the Geneva Appleknockers in 1958. You can actually hear this voice on the Appleknockers' OTL in the recording of American Legion nationals at Chicago. They were out front carry unlike the early 60's redesign by Getzen where the shoulder carry first appeared.

>>Andy, you are probably aware of this, the first contra bass register instrument was designed by Whaley Royce for the Geneva Appleknockers in 1958. You can actually hear this voice on the Appleknockers' OTL in the recording of American Legion nationals at Chicago. They were out front carry unlike the early 60's redesign by Getzen where the shoulder carry first appeared.<<

No ... I didn't realize that ... I knew that the Appleknockers appeared with a variety of unique instruments in their winter concerts but didn't think they competed on the field with them ... how did they get by the Rules Committee to use their contra in 58 when the AL nixed the use of the baby Getzens by Garfield and Hawthorne in 62? ... Kenny Norman: you got any history on this one? ... Interesting ...

Guess ya learn something every day ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Good question, Andy, and I do not have the answer. I was not a drum corps fan in 1958, but my information came from a primary source, Jack Bullock, who I quoted in my history of the Appleknockers which is in Steve Vickers' "A History of Drum and Bugle Corps" vol. two.