Have drum corps evolved into bands?

I also disagree with some things Col. Crawford did. :ph34r:/>/> But that is another story for another day.

Be as insulted by it as you wish Andy. I'm not saying Hy Drietzer wasn't good for his time. I'm saying that just because someone said something at that time, doesn't mean it works for all time IN MY OPINION. I really have no problem with people disagreeing with it.

Good for his time? ... Liz, you amuse me ... do you even know what "Hy's time" was before he was tragically taken from us in 1984? ... can you even imagine the discussions he had with his peers as drum corps progressed from the 50's to the 60's to the 70's to the 80's? ... one can only envision how influential he would have been in the 90's and 2000's ... I'll leave it to the brass experts to comment on his contributions to the progress of brass instrumentation within drum corps ... and you certainly have a right to your opinion ... in this case though, you're way off base as to how and when his "key of G" comment was made ...

Andy "Drietzer was good for his time ... and any time" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

Because we have nothing to reference in this time, thus the comment 'in his time'.

• Like 1

And because Hy said it, the activity should never change? blink.gif

No offense, but over the years thinking on many issues just in the drum corps activity have come to be considered a thing of the past. I realize some people may never agree on this subject, but saying because Hy Drietzer said it is like saying if you read it on the internet, it must be true.

Bon Jour.... wink.gif

i was just asking a man that i know, fran, if he could explain a question i had about the horns. and i remember hy saying that. i just wonder if he meant the key or because it was maent to be played outdoors . that's all. c'mon liz why do you have to criticize me like that? this was not meant to argue or to take a swipe at anybody or generation. drum corps is pst me now. i'm trying to understand the thinking that is going on and why certain instrument are being used. and yes i kne hy dreitzer and he was one of the greats of all time. so if hy said something i listened. just like corky fabrizio. or john flowers or frank farro and the list goes on.

• Like 1

I hate Saxaphones. On the other hand I love Clarinets. They make good Kindling. :)

Sure you may hate saxophones, but when is the last time you played a club and a young lady walked up to you and said "I think the G bugle is such a sexy instrument"?

• Like 3

Sure you may hate saxophones, but when is the last time you played a club and a young lady walked up to you and said "I think the G bugle is such a sexy instrument"?

:laughing:

Because we have nothing to reference in this time, thus the comment 'in his time'.

Since you have little interest in looking up the interview, here it is ... your opinion will still be your own ... just wanted you to have the full context of the "G" comments ...

Q. What do you consider your greatest triumph in senior corps?

A. The Skyliners of course, have won just about every major title. But the first show in 1960 - St. Pat's Preview of Champions in Jersey City. Hawthorne had been unbeatable the year before, and we went out and knocked them off. I was playing in the line then, too. That was a very gratifying experience. You could talk about the three DCA Championships we've won, you could talk about the "Dream"; winning the "Dream" is always a great feeling. Last year's DCA Championship was a little watered down! But it was great because we won high horns despite the rain.

Q. You mentioned earlier the fascination you had for the first single valve horn corps that you ever saw. How do you feel about the new double piston valve bugles? Do you think DCA will take this path in the future?

A. Well, if you remember the last meeting we had on it, the feeling was the hell with the two-valve horn, let's go to three but keep it in the key of G. I was amazed because I introduced the idea to DCA. What we are using now is a two-valve G trumpet, with the rotary. The horn ceased to be a bugle when we stopped using Army Regulation bugles and added a valve. So now, there are G trumpets. DCA said in effect, "Why be hypocritical, let's go to the three but keep it in G because we still want that drum corps sound; we don't want that Bb band sound." Personally, I do not care if we went for six valves; as long as it is in G, we still have the same sound but with more versatility. We would still have drum and bugle corps!

Interviwer comment: Hy Dreitzer is a helluva man to talk to. Had we not been both so tired on that spring morning at 2:15am.We could have talked drum corps all night. I personally feel that this person is the patron saints of drum corps music. I do not know that anybody could challenge that...

Andy "for his time is well documented ... you just have to look for it" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

maybe you should look up the full article on Hy's comment and put it into the context of the question, which was about the introduction of two and three valve horns into drum corps ...

Oops... never mind.

Andy posted the interview I was about to paraphrase.

Move along... nothing to see here... move along...

Edited by Fran Haring

Didn't' Vince Bruni say something similar, along the lines of, "There is no benefit to Bb"?

yea he did. that's why empire stayed with them.

Since you have little interest in looking up the interview, here it is ... your opinion will still be your own ... just wanted you to have the full context of the "G" comments ...

Q. What do you consider your greatest triumph in senior corps?

A. The Skyliners of course, have won just about every major title. But the first show in 1960 - St. Pat's Preview of Champions in Jersey City. Hawthorne had been unbeatable the year before, and we went out and knocked them off. I was playing in the line then, too. That was a very gratifying experience. You could talk about the three DCA Championships we've won, you could talk about the "Dream"; winning the "Dream" is always a great feeling. Last year's DCA Championship was a little watered down! But it was great because we won high horns despite the rain.

Q. You mentioned earlier the fascination you had for the first single valve horn corps that you ever saw. How do you feel about the new double piston valve bugles? Do you think DCA will take this path in the future?

A. Well, if you remember the last meeting we had on it, the feeling was the hell with the two-valve horn, let's go to three but keep it in the key of G. I was amazed because I introduced the idea to DCA. What we are using now is a two-valve G trumpet, with the rotary. The horn ceased to be a bugle when we stopped using Army Regulation bugles and added a valve. So now, there are G trumpets. DCA said in effect, "Why be hypocritical, let's go to the three but keep it in G because we still want that drum corps sound; we don't want that Bb band sound." Personally, I do not care if we went for six valves; as long as it is in G, we still have the same sound but with more versatility. We would still have drum and bugle corps!

Interviwer comment: Hy Dreitzer is a helluva man to talk to. Had we not been both so tired on that spring morning at 2:15am.We could have talked drum corps all night. I personally feel that this person is the patron saints of drum corps music. I do not know that anybody could challenge that...

Andy "for his time is well documented ... you just have to look for it" Lisko

thanks andy. where is the interview so i can read it.