Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Tell that to Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Robert Smith, Frank Williams, Jim Prime, John Meehan, the staff at Caroline Crown, etc, etc...

You get two lines pushing the same air, all else being equal, the one with better intonation will appear louder. Period.

I stand by what I wrote, despite the list of eminent physicists musicians you present as a counter argument. If any of those gentlemen have written a peer reviewed paper on the subject, I would be happy to consider it in relation to my statements.

[sorry, the strikeout tag isn't working. The word "physicists" should be so formatted.]

Edited by The Oz

Play my Schilke B5 and a bugle and tell me you cant play just as loud as a bugle.

It is not the amount of volume...it is the distance the sound can travel projected by the G horn. If you ever played my trumpet, you would never want to play a bugle again. I do play and arrange for both types of groups...much rather play a good trumpet than the best bugle. I am a member of the Bugler's Hall of Fame and I still play with Alumni groups on bugle. I am a dinosaur that knows the difference.

Over and over...every freaking year, same stuff...aye yi yi

#### people who spoil rants based on personal experience and knowledge... :tongue:

Donny, could you explain what you mean by a "bugle", think everyone has their own idea and trying to understand your post better.

But in my humble opinion, the trend setter in the activity is actually indoor

Very true. WGI set a record for the number of teams (guard and drumline) this year.

When black boots were traded in for ballet slippers. When so called drum corps convinced themselves that people attending parades would rather see them waving to them and acting silly to solicit a response rather than look "cool" like a real drum and bugle corps. When they started taking any old flubadub off the street, handing them equipment and putting them in an American flag squad. When Gs went to Bs. When drum heads went from sounding like drum heads to sounding like cardboard. When drum corps ceased to be something unique and different. $$$$$$$$$$$$. When they started playing music from other planets. Cross pollination of band and drum corps instructors. I would be interested in hearing some opinions about why attendance at shows is a fraction of what it once was, not that this question has not come up before.

So from a time before many of us ever picked up a piece of equipment.

I am always amazed when someone of this mindset tells people this type of thing. It is the equivalent of saying "That stuff you put all that time, heart, soul and money into. Yeah. You were lied to. It wasn't ever drum corps."

:thumbdown:

• Like 2

So from a time before many of us ever picked up a piece of equipment.

I am always amazed when someone of this mindset tells people this type of thing. It is the equivalent of saying "That stuff you put all that time, heart, soul and money into. Yeah. You were lied to. It wasn't ever drum corps."

:thumbdown:/>

yep. What;'s really amazing about this stance is on the DCI side, many of the corps have really been doing a good thing of teaching kids the roots, and not just the corps, but the activity. And kids seem to be digging it. Now, they may not want to ever march an old style show, But they do love seeing and knowing about what came before them.

I'm one of thsoe rare birds in this activity. I grew up in the 70s and 80's, and know the older stuff, have albums I still play from long before I was born. I marched in the last 80s and into the 90's, and taught ( drum corps) until 2001, band until last year. I see lots of cool stuff with whats out there now, and I see some pretentious #### trotted out as art. But...I look back in the past and see some pretentious #### trotted out too.

But more and more, I find it's the older crowd that's becoming less tolerant of the now, than the kids today are of the past. I'm sure Donny, with his recent DCI teaching experience could back me up on this. It's a shame.....the kids love when alumni come around and hearing the stories. But they really get tired of being told what they do sucks.

My day will come when I am totally disenfranchised with what I see out there. Already some, more on the DCI side, is annoying. I'll just back off how much I go. I think the now has a lot to offer, but some tweaks in design need to be made that could really bridge both generations, as well as the one in between

• Like 1

My day will come when I am totally disenfranchised with what I see out there. Already some, more on the DCI side, is annoying. I'll just back off how much I go. I think the now has a lot to offer, but some tweaks in design need to be made that could really bridge both generations, as well as the one in between

Heard that... about 20 years back I thought DC had left me behind so walked away for about a decade. Never ####### about it or slammed anyone for the changes as had seen enough changes 74-93. Just figured my time to leave had come and so did it.

Now back to watching DCA when we can (not much) and in a lot of ways it's the same and lot of ways it ain't from my time. And to that I give a big shrug and a "no BFD". The additions to the DCI side leave me cold so I don't go to shows but still follow what is going on.

Yeah still care about the members, corps and activity on the Jr side even if my butt isn't in the seat at the shows. Amazing how some peole can't get that idea. Hey I don't follow my old HS or college MB or sports or my old church like I did and that doesn't mean I wish them harm either.

yep. What;'s really amazing about this stance is on the DCI side, many of the corps have really been doing a good thing of teaching kids the roots, and not just the corps, but the activity. And kids seem to be digging it. Now, they may not want to ever march an old style show, But they do love seeing and knowing about what came before them.

I'm one of thsoe rare birds in this activity. I grew up in the 70s and 80's, and know the older stuff, have albums I still play from long before I was born. I marched in the last 80s and into the 90's, and taught ( drum corps) until 2001, band until last year. I see lots of cool stuff with whats out there now, and I see some pretentious #### trotted out as art. But...I look back in the past and see some pretentious #### trotted out too.

But more and more, I find it's the older crowd that's becoming less tolerant of the now, than the kids today are of the past. I'm sure Donny, with his recent DCI teaching experience could back me up on this. It's a shame.....the kids love when alumni come around and hearing the stories. But they really get tired of being told what they do sucks.

jeff i get what your saying. the older crowd is well.......old. and this that i'm going to say includes me. the oldsters are set in their ways. we always look back and say things were better BITD. and not just drum corps. it's everyday living, politics everything. when i was young the older people said the same things. it was better in 1946. or 1938. i couldn't grasp what they were saying. we all want to hold on to our youth. but time marches on. it was only recently with a health scare that i realized my day has come and gone. now i may not like what i see and hear but let's face. we have handed off the activity to those that are doing it now. and like we in my time changed it the younger generation is changing it and they like it. so good for them. i hope it works like it did for us. i wish them well. i'm interested what's going on but it's a passing interest now. i will try to keep up. and watch the scores and placements. but i'm done. i have no say. it is what it is. sound like a plan?

• Like 1

jeff i get what your saying. the older crowd is well.......old. and this that i'm going to say includes me. the oldsters are set in their ways. we always look back and say things were better BITD. and not just drum corps. it's everyday living, politics everything. when i was young the older people said the same things. it was better in 1946. or 1938. i couldn't grasp what they were saying. we all want to hold on to our youth. but time marches on. it was only recently with a health scare that i realized my day has come and gone. now i may not like what i see and hear but let's face. we have handed off the activity to those that are doing it now. and like we in my time changed it the younger generation is changing it and they like it. so good for them. i hope it works like it did for us. i wish them well. i'm interested what's going on but it's a passing interest now. i will try to keep up. and watch the scores and placements. but i'm done. i have no say. it is what it is. sound like a plan?

• Like 1