I'm going to give this a shot. A lot of this will be more opinion rather than just a straight forward review. I'll defintely try to remember and mention all of the positive things I saw last night along with some of the negatives. I've been trying to think about how to go along with the negative thoughts, so I decided that if I think my opinion would be shared by more than a few people, I'll mention it. Most will be straight-forward, some will pull no punches. I have to first admit, that when it comes to seeing a program and being able to pick up the design of the show, sometimes I can be an idiot, but if I thought maybe it was way to out there, I'll mention this. Also, after marching 7 years in the activity, this was only my second time ever seeing a DCA show. The first was last year at Kingston.

First up, the Bushwackers.

The new uniforms look really good, and I understand that there will be some changes being done to make it more Bush, probably adding the keys at some point. Big suggestion: lose the white gauntlets and go to black.

Anyway, their first part of the show is a tribute to the Bush of yesterdays, I heard 1985, 1993, and I think 86? I like the nod to the past and bringing the corps back. It's a small corps, maybe 18 horns, 12-15 guard, 7ish pit and 16 drumline. The music book seems more attainable than in years past, and sometimes the drill as well, but there are parts that just seem like it's unnecessarily hard and won't be clean by finals. Drill was written for about 6 more brass. I think the drumline at points in the show covered up the brass due to the equal numbers. I also don't get having a full cymbal line and yet only 1 tenor. I know Bush is known for its quality cymbal line, and they really don't disappoint at all. In fact, they were probably the best section of the corps last night. I just don't get the balancing that they have had for the last several years. Again, that's my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.

They have some really nice props of pictures throughout the years with the old uniforms through today, they added some nice staging effects where performers would disappear. Sometimes tho, they would block what we were supposed to be watching however. I don't get having the hornline do some advanced drill things during the drum solo in the second song while being behind the props. I couldn't see anything. Also, there was a very random pit solo song followed by silence. I'm guessing there will be more added in here as it really didn't make any sense in terms of a transition from one song to the next. Programming wise, I couldn't tell if there was a story behind the show or if it was just a straight forward show with elements like a dancing guard member holding a trumpet who eventually put on a uniform and then played the rest of the show.

Overall, Bush just needs numbers and really start digging in and cleaning away as well as taking out the hose to some parts that won't be achievable. I don't know what are the Open Class numbers this year, but I'm rooting for them to make a return. I do think this show puts them in a better place then in previous years.

Next on was Fusion Core.

Fusion has an excellent brass program going on. They are a little bit bigger than in the past and they sound pretty good for the first show. I do apologize, I am not a drum person at all, so I can't comment on this. As for the show, maybe it was explained what the show was by Fran and the audience didn't hear it at all (speakers were pretty bad and don't face the audience at all,) but I didn't get the programming at all, other than the fact that the show was obviously based on a love story. What that story is, I don't know. In the beginning, there is a guy and a girl dancing together and then they disappear for awhile. Later on, there is a very awkward scene to the audience where 2 older folks come on to the field with red heart balloon and I guess the man first has a heart attack and dies with his wife first trying to wake him up, followed by being upset and herself passing away, with the balloons going into the air? Then having a soloists play behind them. Just, very awkward to the audience, at least to me and the several people I was with. Later on, the young couple come back, so I'm guessing that the older folks are either reincarnated together, or it's a flashback?

As for their ability, as I said...the brass achieves a very nice sound on the move. Visually I don't remember anything standing out from them, other than 1 MAJOR thing that I thing was just completely unacceptable to the paying audience. Out of their entire show, the color guard did maybe about 2 minutes of work, with the weapons doing just a little bit more. I understand that this is early on in the season, but now they will be playing catchup to everyone else in the circuit if they didn't feel ready to perform over 3/4 of their show.

Next on were the Buccaneers

I'll first admit I'm probably more critical/amazed by this for obvious reasons, however I'll try to remain unbiased as best as I can. This show has such a high level of demand associated with it, both visually and musically. There are about 24 ladders being used throughout the show where soloists and color guard members will get on and perform. A lot of it were very neat things happening, such as having hornline members working in tandem with the colorguard to lean the ladders and set up for them. Musically, they have some pretty good moments, but I'm not sold yet. Will probably take another viewing. The high brass is very strong, with a strong trumpet line, and there were many times I was hoping for more low brass section. There were quite a few stickouts in the low brass, and I imagine that they were the people who were either playing the right dynamics, or they were trying to be the super hero.

The color guard uniforms look like a spandex gym workout outfit that is gold and white. At first I was a little let down, but when they go on the yellow ladders, they look really great. My favorite part of the ladders and guard came during what I can describe as the ladder block in the ballad, with the color guard running around the ladders and through them. Very neat effect I have to say. I think the ballad is on the short side and I was hoping for more of a development to get the the climax part because I love the song, but that's because I'm greedy. The closer is Bacchanal and I have to say, this was my favorite musically speaking for the corps. When the melody is introduced for the first time, all of the mellophones proudly walk up the ladders that are now situated on the front side line, bring their horns up and just WAIL. Wow. They made the show for me. Seeing them go up the ladders, everyone knew something amazing was going to happen and they sure did deliver. When the rest of the hornline comes in, they are situated near the back on Side 2, then if anyone has seen the video of Phantom jazz running while playing Firebird Suite, they do just that coming toward the 50 front side line. It was another great moment, although I'm not a fan of the low brass music at this point, it seems to clutter the song up. After that, the corps ends with a great ending, while placing about 12 people on ladders while everyone else is running around. Definitely the best show of the night, and they designed the program to be the top contender again.

Cadets 2 then came to the field.

Right from the beginning, C2 sounded like a much more mature line. I wasn't a fan of their program last year, but this year I'm a huge fan of. I can't say this is a knock off of 89 Cadets, although there were a few nods to that great show. The color guard seemed to wear a non-complete uniform. They had a few holes in the drill, but I think they marched a pretty good program. I think this program could do very well against the other competitors, although I don't think for the top spot. For the last minute of their show, they stood still and ended probably about 90 seconds before they should have so I'm guessing the penalty is under time again. They are at a much better start from where they were at their first show last year which was 1 month later. Due to the low stands, it was really tough to get engaged in their visual drill package, but that doesn't take away from the achievement of what they are doing at all. I noticed some great feet technique in some of the members that give it that Cadet look, but not from all. I'm definitely a big fan of this show!

Finally is the Cabs.

I'm going to start of with the big negative for me because there was a lot of good with the Cabs and that simple is Bolero. It drove me crazy, completely. Sticking in the Bolero rhythm every chance was just too much after the 5th time. It's a shame, because visually, the corps is stepping up it's game majorly and is trying to require more from the performers and having a show revolve around that isn't exactly new or exciting. Also, 2 of the 4 songs played, the have performed within the last 4 years. This is not saying anything about how it was performed and the arrangements themselves, but I still think there are a whole lot more pieces out there the Cabs could choose from and make it their own in a Spanish way. For example, my 2008 show with Bush, even though it was Eastern European music, that could easily be taken by them and they would hit a home run.

Now, for their show. Minus Bolero popping up every where you go, I really really enjoyed it. I thought the Cabs color guard was just amazing and took in a well deserved first place guard. From what I could tell, they were the only guard of all 5 to have their entire show on the field, or that's what it seemed to me. The hornline is top heavy, but that's the Cabs sound. I do wish I could hear more of the low brass section in big impact points. As I said before, they move a lot more than before, and for this show with the state of the field, they had a few people go down. Nothing serious and it definitely didn't take anything away from their performance, but I'm sure the field was pretty bad as I know the rehearsal field behind them was awful that morning. As for them moving more, they did seem to be one of the more visually dirtier corps for the night, and I'm going to guess that the amazing guard performance is what enabled them to tie Bucs at Visual. When they do move, their great sound does seem to suffer, so I'm sure they will work throughout the season to improve. They did have a few holes that weren't always noticeable. Hopefully they fill them up rather quickly so the entire season could be spent cleaning rather than teaching. Frank did a great job with the trumpet solo and they had some TOP NOTCH screamers throughout their show. I was very impressed and of all the corps I like to listen to, I think having amazing screamers that can do lip trills is the most iconic when the Cabs do it. Bravo!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed Paint it Black by the Cabs.

Like I said, this is more of an opinion rather than a review although I tried to mention a few things in there. Feel free to comment, call me out, argue and call me names, as this is just one simple guy's opinion. I like to approach things from a simple guy who just wants to be entertained, and I have to say...every single corps last night did just that.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 4

Nice review Kyle, thanks.

Hopefully you'll make a good number of shows this year, our theme should become clearer as we add the bells and whistles. And I think some of the issues with the props come from the low vantage point in Wildwood.

PS, thanks for the nice comments about the plateline, and I totally agree that "Gypsodic Cabs" would be fun to watch

• Like 1

Well done, Kyle!

DCP needs more contributions like this, please continue. I'll stand by my earlier prediction in which I named Cadets2 as the most dangerous corps this season. They really took last year's show a long way by Labor Day and they look to be starting off their sophomore season in better shape (talent wise) than last year.

Nice review Kyle.... Just to clue people in on the show a little more since everybody has been saying that they couldn't hear Fran due to the speakers. The show is "UnRavel" but the concept exists on multiple levels, the first level being the obvious one the music of Ravel (Bolero being his most recognizable piece) however the UnRavel represents two ideas the first being based off a painting called Unraveling Bolero! It's a fascinating story that I encourage every music nerd to check out on their own. Here's a link to a podcast about it: http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2012/jun/18/unraveling-bolero/

Looking at the painting you can understand our guard uniforms and such a little more, as everyone has been effected by the rain this year there some ideas/effects that still need to be added in the show to help drive the point home but there are points in the show where we've already begun to add the "unraveling" of drill, music and guard members.

The next level of the show represents the corps identity and the idea that things that the Cabs play can also be un-Ravel.... or simply put not Ravel, in a way almost a tongue in cheek approach to the identity of the music and us, the "Bolero" rift exists to help the foster idea that even though there are pieces of music that aren't Ravel they can still share traits from it, this being the iconic Bolero snare drum part. In the show you'll hear a little bit of "White Rabbit", "Time to Say Goodbye" and "Paint it Black" they all share a variation of that snare part. And if you're playing along with the home version of the game you'll also notice admist all this color represented by the painting "Unraveling Bolero" through guard uniforms we have managed to find musical selections that also represent the White, Red and Black of the Caballeros. Of course at the end of the day people will get out of the show whatever they want to get out of the show, I was told once that drum corps should be one step above pro wrestling (that was while watching BD last year). I can tell you however that there has been a lot of thought that went into the show this year and while it would be easy to say that oh the Cabs are doing this again or that again I don't think we are approaching as doing the same ole stuff for the sake of doing the same ole stuff. This year's show is as deep as any person wants it to be, we're like the Inception of drum corps shows this year lol.

I thought you gave a great honest review of everybody and thanks for the compliments about the guard, I'm always blown away by how quickly they can learn a show in time for Wildwood. I'm just really proud of what we are doing this year and I've been itching to tell everyone about our show, now that the first one is out of the way we can share the show concept a little more liberally. Much like last year we are taking a whole new direction to what the Caballeros have been doing but are still trying to remain true to who we are.

As far as Gypsy Caballero show, talk about going outside the box.... sheesh we've already gone down the Middle Eastern road in route to Egypt back in '05. I seem to remember that not working out so well ;p lol.

Again, even for as long as I've been in the activity, it takes a hammer in the head for me to understand a show. I'm sure a lot more people out there probably got it then me, but something as obvious as Bucs last year making an arrow pointing to the tenors is what it takes for me.

That being said, I thought what is being played is done well, minus the more challenging visual aspects that are being asked, but I'm sure that will be cleaned through the many weeks ahead.

As for the choice of the musical selection, I think there is a lot more music that can be what I'll call "Cab-ified" and hope to hear that in the future. After all, Time to Say Goodbye is Italian and yet I can distinctly hear the Cabs playing it.

Edited by Kyle B

First up, the Bushwackers.

The new uniforms look really good, and I understand that there will be some changes being done to make it more Bush, probably adding the keys at some point. Big suggestion: lose the white gauntlets and go to black.

Anyway, their first part of the show is a tribute to the Bush of yesterdays, I heard 1985, 1993, and I think 86? I like the nod to the past and bringing the corps back. It's a small corps, maybe 18 horns, 12-15 guard, 7ish pit and 16 drumline. The music book seems more attainable than in years past, and sometimes the drill as well, but there are parts that just seem like it's unnecessarily hard and won't be clean by finals. Drill was written for about 6 more brass. I think the drumline at points in the show covered up the brass due to the equal numbers. I also don't get having a full cymbal line and yet only 1 tenor. I know Bush is known for its quality cymbal line, and they really don't disappoint at all. In fact, they were probably the best section of the corps last night. I just don't get the balancing that they have had for the last several years. Again, that's my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.

They have some really nice props of pictures throughout the years with the old uniforms through today, they added some nice staging effects where performers would disappear. Sometimes tho, they would block what we were supposed to be watching however. I don't get having the hornline do some advanced drill things during the drum solo in the second song while being behind the props. I couldn't see anything. Also, there was a very random pit solo song followed by silence. I'm guessing there will be more added in here as it really didn't make any sense in terms of a transition from one song to the next. Programming wise, I couldn't tell if there was a story behind the show or if it was just a straight forward show with elements like a dancing guard member holding a trumpet who eventually put on a uniform and then played the rest of the show.

Overall, Bush just needs numbers and really start digging in and cleaning away as well as taking out the hose to some parts that won't be achievable. I don't know what are the Open Class numbers this year, but I'm rooting for them to make a return. I do think this show puts them in a better place then in previous years.

Appreciate the kind words. The weird transition is where the percussion feature is going to go.

To clear up the theme behind the show, it's on our website: http://bushwackers.org/2013-program/

:)

Great stuff, Kyle!

Nice to get some insights from someone who's "been there." :thumbup:

Nice review Kyle, thanks.

Hopefully you'll make a good number of shows this year, our theme should become clearer as we add the bells and whistles. And I think some of the issues with the props come from the low vantage point in Wildwood.

PS, thanks for the nice comments about the plateline, and I totally agree that "Gypsodic Cabs" would be fun to watch

Hands down, this is the most-prepared Bushwackers corps in several years this early in the season. Some good stuff going on!